Seimitsu LS 40 question

It said it has a soft sensitive spring like a sanwa
Is this comparable to a sanwa jlf with the short throw actuator?

No. The stick is not loose at all and this is why I like it. The spring is comparable to a 2lb spring on a sanwa.

I’m also curious about the LS-40. How is the throw and tension compared to the LS-32 and LS-56?

More tension than the the LS-32 and slightly less than the LS-56. Shorter throw than both.

Wow ok, on the product description it said like a sanwa

so the ls32 has the least amount of tension?
And the LS40 has the shortest throw amongst them all?

Shorter throw than the LS-56? I didn’t even know that was possible.

To put in into prospective the Sanwa JLW has a shorter throw than the JLF
The JLF as one of the longer throws in Arcade joysticks

The actuator and gate as as much of a impact to throw (if not more so) than the shaft/lever of a joystick.

@buyproduct do you have any measurements for the LS-40 vs32/56, as I was pretty sure than the LS-40 had similar throw to the 32 and 56 yet shorter engage. Also I would also argue that comparing the spring tension of the LS-40 to a JLF with a 2lb spring is an exaggeration. The spring is the exact same as the LS-32, so the only factor that would affect its tension is the shaft itself, and its weight.

Yeah I am going by feel. I have all those sticks with the 40 being my favorite. The 40 definitely feels tighter than the the 32, the engage is definitely shorter. The throw feels smaller too but not by much. The stick simply doesn’t wobble.

Well look who’s coming out of hiding to answer a question about a favorite joystick of mine.

1. The LS-32 and LS-40 share the same spring.
  2. Everything from the top of the pivot to the bottom of the shaft is the same measurements on both sticks.
  3. Because the LS-40 shaft is 1 mm longer, it actually has less tension.
  4. Depending on where you hold the shaft, you could have the same or very slightly more engage than a LS-32 when using the LS-40. The difference is minimal.
  5. The Pivots make a difference, and because of this, the LS-40 feels smoother in operation from the superior pivot design over the LS-32.

The springs between a JLF and a LS-40 are pretty similar. The JLF actually has a longer shaft, so when moving the weight of the ball top around, you get more momentum from the additional height above the pivot. This is largely why it feels more loose than a LS-32 or a LS-40. LS-32 and LS-40 are meant to be mounted closer to the panel or flush with it to attain proper ball top height. By nature, they will feel more tense during play.

Engage/throw on each stick is similar enough once you factor in a few things, but these can always be changed via mods. There are several documented on this site. I’ve gone from playing on many sticks to others, and the largest factor in feel is tension. A lever with more tension will undoubtedly feel faster to play on since it neutralizes faster. Throw becomes less of a factor in these cases. Most sticks have relatively the same throw after the point of engage. Engage can be changed by a number of factors. In fact, engage can be changed within the same gaming session on the same lever simply from changing your grip on the lever. The higher you hold it, the more engage from increased range of motion. The lower, the less.

Switch tension can also neutralize a stick faster. A tighter spring doesn’t automatically mean a lever neutralizes faster, if the switches in the lever aren’t as high tension. A good balance between spring tension and switch tension helps create an ideal lever experience. From what I recall, Seimitsu’s Matushita switches feel a little less tense than Sanwa’s Omron switches. Considering the JLF has a longer lever and a similar spring, it would make sense to have switches with a little more tension to pop it back to neutral faster and keeps the joystick feeling similar enough to what people grew up with in the arcades when LS-32 was default in SF2 machines.

Hope that helps or sheds some light on things. Back to hiding for me.

@Moonchilde That was… extremely detailed. That info helped out a lot!

<EDIT> Wait, in @buyproduct 's second post, he said that the LS-40’s throw was shorter than the LS-56. Then in his next post, he said it was just slightly shorter than the LS-32’s, which is much farther than the LS-56’s. I’m a bit confused here. What is the throw like on the LS-40?

Its like exactly what it is, a bit shorter and taller than LS-32, there is nothing to be compared with, LS-40 is the shortest Seimitsu stick and shorter than JLF (dunno JLW). I don’t know exactly about the measurement method but if it is measuring between the bottom of actuator and restrictor, doesn’t mean you gonna feel the same by playing on 2 different sticks with the same measures like that cause some shafts mounts higher and a taller stick will cause a farther range till you reach the restrictor. Anyway here is what i feel by playing with these sticks considering the 1st place as the shortest

1 - LS-40
2 - LS-32 (not a 56/58 owner right now but i remember it can be similar to 32, tiny bit longer or shorter maybe)
4 - JLF
5 - Hori Hayabusa along with LS-55

Can’t wait to get my hands on the LS-40 (ordering this and a haya together as soon as I know where I’ll be in the upcoming year). Can’t believe all this time I’ve overlooked such a short engage stick, simply because It wasn’t named Sanwa. This stick honestly has all the attributes on paper that I’m looking for: perfect tension, short engage, short throw, smooth pivot etc. (I think it was Dark who led me to it in another thread and seen so many others endorse it)

I’ve seen some people say that the engage is overly too short though, and it makes hitting diagonals so easy that sometimes just to hit forward twice (for example dash in SFIV) that on the second input, diagonal forward is hit instead. This is why they say that it is unforgiving when coming to fighting games. I wonder if this is the case because they have been playing on the jlf and gotten used to a longer engage? I honestly can’t wait to feel this for myself, especially after using to Happ competitions for my entire life (also short engage which I love)

The jlf seems to be more forgiving in the inputs than the ls40. IMHO. Hope that makes sense

LS-56 similar to an LS-32? I’ve read that the LS-56 is close to the LS-40 and that the engage on the LS-32 is .5mm shorter than the JLF. I hope my info is correct, otherwise I’ll be replacing the LS-32 I ordered almost immediately…

Yea from what I’ve gathered so far, that makes sense. Shorter engage requires more precision.

You know something, this post just jolted me to come up with one sensical reason why I’m switching from Happ after so many years. And here is the one reason: I think I have to work too hard and I’m feddup!

So yea, the short engage I’m used to. I think anyone can ge t past the unforgiving thing with practice and the end result would be a stick that’s lightning fast with minimal, albeit measured, effort.

I hope you understand that my list regards the throw by feel and yeah, i really doubt LS-56 has a shorter throw than 32 otherwise it would be like identical to 40 and it’s really not.

@trinifella1 all those information is true, the LS-40 is very sensitive along with LS-56 (engagement similarity), difference on 40s is the shorter throw and a sub-gate that helps to reduce the diagonal range a little bit, and i think a short stick will bring all directions closer anyway, so yeah, it’s very easy to hit diagonals. IMO, it depends to which game you play, for the actual fighting games JLF is perfectly ok for me along with LS-32 as a shorter and stiffer option, i use to prefer 32 and 40 for Neogeo games and i use JLF for KOF13 and SFIV with no problems today, well, almost…i use to have accidental jumps on JLF as well but i know it’s my flaw, it happens sometimes in critical situations.

You must be moderate on your moves to play well with LS-40, almost playing with just the hands/wrist movement, but i think that’s not your style since you come from american arcade sticks and that’s normal.

So my advice for now is, if you don’t get used to 40, spend a time on Hayabusa (you ordered one, right?) and if you are still finding it too far (yes, busa feels longer than JLF) even after weeks or months, get back to JLF and you will be no more thinking its throw is that far.

Thanks for the advice Jacq.

Yea within the next week I should know my whereabouts and know where to ship both the LS-40 and Haya to. Reason that I need to get them both together is I’m thinking if I was to get one at a time, whichever I get first will feel great and testing out the one that I get later would put that stick at a disadvantage.

Yea I actually used to use my arm alot with Happ, but lately I’ve been trying to adjust to just using wrist movements in anticipation of my switch to Japanese sticks, even though tugging around a 100lb Happ lever ( =) ) solely with wrist power is proving to be a task and a half.

I’m almost certain I’ll adjust to whatever I choose. I just want to adjust to something great.

Oh yea before I forgot, I’m also getting a JLF as well (trying to land a TE right now, with stock JLF in it) just to give the stick another chance. Playing on it for 3 days and writing it off was maybe a wrong move on my part. I’ve been hearing stories of guys lately lubing up a JLF and having it feel as smooth as a Haya and falling in love all over again. I won’t call any names (Moonchild… hehehe).

I highly recommend trying a Kowal actuator in your JLF before giving up on it. Faster engage and shorter throw, with no change in deflection.