Several questions about MvC 3 help and Blazblue

I’ve got a few questions regarding some games, particularly MvC 3 and Blazblue.

1. Is there any place online that would have the frame data for MvC 3? I don’t want to pick up another useless Brady Games guide and figured there has to be some spot where someone has it logged.

2. When I’m looking for a setup to open up a combo with a certain character in MvC 3, where should I start? When I’m in training mode, I can pratice and get combos going easy and can get creative ways of maximizing damage, but it’s useless to practice a combo without an opportunity or opening on the opponent. So when I’m “in the lab” what should I be looking for as an a good setup, or how does the community logically derive a setup for a character?

3. I’ve completed the trial modes for SSF4 and MvC 3 100%, and I’m looking to 100% SF3 OS and Blazblue CS, and if I ever get a copy of vanilla SF4 again, finish that trial mode too. However, I’m having a world of trouble understanding the links and executions to Blazblue. Some of these combos seem the world of trouble to me. Is the spacing and timing more strict or is there something I’m missing? This is way harder than SSF4’s or MvC 3’s.

It’s a good thing you’ll be buying a guide that has a use, then.

as for question #2 watch literally any mvc3 match and watch how players get combos started

The thing about the combos in BlazBlue is that they require careful attention to spacing, timing, and some other factors like fall rate. Simply put, BlazBlue requires more study then other games. I would be lying to you if I said the game was easy, although the good thing about the challenges is that they actually teach you realistic combos for in-game use (at least for 3-7). It took time before I completed Jin’s trials 100% but then again he is my main. You should only focus on the trials for your main, learn them before to seek out others.

As for combos in MvC3, its good to learn combos that build from a jumping or crouching hit since these most likely trip your opponent up. Anyone can brain a training dummy over and over again, but fighting against real people requires more style. Set ups are character specific, you need to learn the best way to approach. Like when I use Hsien-Ko I open with j.H since it has reach, hits multiple times and allows me to follow into a combo ending in Chireitou or Tenrai Ha.

I’m a Marvel player so I’ll answer question 2. Starting combos is not as easy as it sounds, nobody is just gonna stand there and let you combo them. You have to open them up. One the the best ways you can do this offensively is go at your opponent with high/low mixups. Since you cant block high & low at the same time, that’s where you wanna be. Jump in on your opponent like your gonna hit em high, but instead land and go for a low attack OR attack with a barrage of low/mid attacks and then unexpectedly go high. Its important to note that your not always gonna be able to hit that extensive combo you’ve practiced so much on ,because Marvel is very unpredictable so you have to learn to maximize your damage no matter what situation you find yourself in. Punishing an opponents botched attack is also a major part of Marvel, but you have to learn what moves you can punish & what attacks or combos you can punish them with. That just comes with experience though. Anyway I know I rambled on a bit, but I hope I helped

1. Nope. Some character forums have their specific character’s frame data (like Captain America) while others don’t (for a popular character Spencer doesn’t). Your best bet would be the Brady Guide, which was far from useless before, but Ultimate MvC3 is coming so soon that the guide is going to be obsolete just in a couple of months.

2. Approaching and opening people up depends so much on the character that there pretty much is no broad way of explaining this. Nothing that Geo63 didn’t say already…

3. BlazBlue’s trial combos have the neat feature which shows you how to do the actual combo. They do require you to pay more attention to spacing and timing than MvC3/SF4 which generally have you always pressing buttons “as soon as possible”. For example Ragna’s #6 or #7 (whatever with the 2D rapid cancel into 6C). The combo was something like 5B > 5C > 2D > rapid cancel > 6C > dash cancel second hit > 5D (first hit only) > Dead Spike > dash 5C > jump cancel into rest.
    Well the dash cancel second hit > 5D (first hit only)-part is actually impossible mid-screen unless you input a little dash between the dash cancel and 5D. So it’s actually 6C > dash cancel second hit > 665D (first hit only). This is due to the fact that 5D has a big vertical hitbox which won’t hit your opponent if you only used the dash cancel PLUS you close the few pixels of distance so that dash 5C after Dead Spike can hit. However, do the same combo closer to the corner and dash 5D’ing (and even the dash 5C) becomes unnecessary because the corner negates your opponent’s forward momentum.

Basically BB has very lenient windows to combo but to get the combo of your choice you need to still be sharp.

I really don’t like buying Brady Guides, namely because they screwed up on several pieces of SF4 frame data, and because Capcom “updates” their games so often, it seems like I have to buy ANOTHER guide every so often. Still, I may invest in one if practical enough. It would help me eliminate some trial and error in training to see if I can punish certain moves.

Okay, the high/low mixup I like and didn’t think about before, but I’ve also tried using projectile type assists and combining with someone like Wesker or Dormammu for some teleport mixup shenanigans, meeting with some success, and people also forget that Dormammu can even get behind you in the corner when they play the turtle game with his teleport for a crossup mix, I just have problems where cr.M misses with certain sized characters.

But playing for a while I’ve noticed many of the same tactics being used, where people would approach in a fashion where a normal or special opens up to a combo, in a manner you never suspect. The Dante teleporters are almost too easy to deal with now, but I notice different setups, like people spamming Haggar’s jumping Heavy, or Cap’s diagonal air Shield Slash, where if those connect they open to full combo and big damage. Is there just a giant load of trial and error to finding these little different setups, or is there some logic to the madness?

And also, I’ve found that Blazblue requires a hell of a lot more memorization than SF and MvC, because those combos are so long. I do know the combo window is lenient, but the setups are far more restricting in terms of spacing and technique. I did get the answer I needed on that one though.

Thanks to the above answers guys!