From the Evo site:
So first we have this ridiculous strawman that completely fails to address any legitimate grievances people (including women, such as SuperYan) have raised with the idea of a women-only tournament. Then you render your childish diatribe completely hypocritical by the content on the stream.
From Keits claiming that women use being a girl to downplay losses and exaggerate victories, to commenting on the attractiveness of female participants. And right now whoever is controlling the camera is systematically panning the room and zooming in on every attractive female in sight.
It’s easy to make token gestures about “widening the scene,” much harder to actually put into practice the creation of a safe space for women when it requires changing attitudes and behaviour. If I didn’t already believe the women-only tournament was more shameless objectification than an genuine, if ill-considered attempt to reach out, I certainly do now.
Some women may enjoy the kind of attention they’re receiving on the stream, but many do not. If you’re really serious about bringing more women into the scene (which is a noble goal if done with actual inclusiveness in mind, not simply wanting to have more eye candy at tournaments), it would serve you well to ensure streams aren’t full of the kind of sexist, objectifying, and honestly borderline-predatory conduct I’ve seen over the last two days. You have rules forbidding cursing and racial slurs; why are there no rules forbidding the aforementioned?
- It is not okay to comment on how cute women are when they’re there to measure skill at a game.
- It is not okay to make generalizations about how female players act.
- It is not okay to constantly compare women’s skills only to other female players.
- It is not okay to patronise female players with excessive compliments when clearly their skill doesn’t warrant it, because they are female.
- It is not okay to satisfy your creepy voyeuristic urges using the stream camera.
If you’re serious about inclusiveness, put your money where your mouth is. Right now you look like a fucking joke.