Well, last night I opened it up, saw that all the QDs were (to quote the awesome looking mod guide) ‘sneezed’ on by glue. every last one of them. i pressed hard on all of them to push them into the terminals some more, without any visible difference.
i put it back together and it was working again. who knows.
given what i saw when i opened it up, i’m not particularly happy with the current setup. some buttons seemed more ‘solid’ than others when viewing the action on the bottom (ie, the plastic part that i think registers key-presses travels farther on different buttons… ugh). and in my playing experience, the stick felt like it was occasionally getting caught on something when doing quarter circles. not quite sure what caused that, but it’s not a fun experience and it makes me feel like i’m breaking something. if it was consistent, at least it would be something i could get used to…
when i get some time and money put together, i’m definitely using the guide to put in new buttons and maybe a stick… i know it’s probably sacriligious to say this here, but i think i’m going with concave buttons for that 1980s arcade feel.