SF V dedicated servers or p2p?

Sorry if this is redundant, just joined the forums… I searched but didn’t yield anything relevant. So the point of this post is just to get the title question answered. Thanks :slight_smile:

There are dedicated servers for matchmaking, but the game itself is p2p.

Moving to the SFV section.

P2P because dedicated servers make no sense for a 1v1 game.

ProudNET

Traffic seems to go through servers, there may be cases where NAT allows for direct connection, but everything I have seen points to servers being used to bounce packets to get around NAT

I think Quake players would disagree with you.

Quake was targeted and created for larger player capacity than 1v1 in a first place, therefore creating a standard of having dedicated servers in PC multiplayers, especially in FPS shooters.

Unlike fighting games that have always been directed for 1v1 use.

That’s probably true, but I have a hard time believing P2P could work in any 1v1 shooter because it always seems to give one person a ping advantage. I’m glad that doesn’t seem to be a problem in fighters.

The problem with Quake is that, even 1v1, it’s not a true P2P connection in that it still considers one player a server and the other a client. This isn’t the case in a true P2P setup where rollbacks occur not based on the state of one peers game, but on a separate simulation based on collected inputs

For more on how fighting game networking works, read this.
http://mauve.mizuumi.net/2012/07/05/understanding-fighting-game-networking/

Thank you all for your input! I’ve only ever played shooters where p2p can be a nightmare…