SF4 PC - buy Steam version or standalone off amazon?

Hi guys I’m very new to SF4 but so far I’ve really had fun the few times I’ve tried it out and I’ve decided to take the plunge and buy a TE stick and SF4 for the pc.
I’ve noticed that its about $40 on both Steam and Amazon.

Can anyone tell me if either version is better than the other for any reason? I’ve used steam in the past for Half Life 2 and CSS and it worked fine. But I know that for SF4 there is the added component of MS live. wondering how that integrates into Steam and the standalone.

Street Fighter IV on Xbox 360 uses Xbox LIVE.
Street Fighter IV on PC uses Games for Windows - LIVE.

SFIV does not do cross-platform.

All SFIV for PC are the same, except for the DRM.
Steam will use its DRM for SFIV.
Retail will use SecuROM.
Other digital outlets will use either SecuROM or that outlet’s respective DRM.

Regardless of where SFIV bought, they will all use GFWL to play online.

I don’t think I answered your question. :sad:
Sorry.

I got SFIV off Steam because I’ve been really busy with work and haven’t had time to go to the store. I basically just bought it and let it download and install while I’m out.

But to give you my opinion on it, SFIV on Steam seems to work pretty well for me. Games for Windows Live (GFWL) is integrated into the game so I think you’ll have it regardless of whether you get it from Steam or from an actual retailer. If you don’t have / never used a Games for Windows Live login, I think you’ll be required to sign up for one, but it’s not too big of a hassle. Doing so will allow you to use the same GFWL account for other GFWL games like Gears of War and so forth.

yes steam is awesome. a hard copy might be better though as you can resell it later on. not sure on the that though i only buy and sell xbox games.

Well i’ve bought plenty of games from steam in the past. HL2, CSS, Left4Dead, Team Fortress 2, Bioshock, Crysis, etc.

I don’t think there’s much of a difference, besides where the program files store right? SF4 will probably be in a subfolder from your steamfile, while amazon’s will create it’s own. Correct me if i’m wrong.

That and convenience. If you can’t be troubled, or don’t care to go to the store and get a hard copy, it’s an easy way of obtaining the game if you don’t mind having it in a digital medium.

I did that:

I downloaded it from a web, put a no-dvd crack, and i used a 100% legal key buyed from here:

http://www.g2play.net/store/Street-Fighter-IV-Retail-CD-Key.html

Hope it helps.

I got my copy through steam. Both are the exact same game. Both can be modded

Pros (with seam)
with steam you don’t have to worry about losing your key or damaging your disks.
Steam will often have sales (sf4 was 35 usd on release).
You won’t have to wait for shipping with Steam.
if you travel a lot, you can play games on any computer without carrying around the disks

Cons:
the installation on steam takes a bit longer since you have to download the game
you don’t have any manuals or artwork that comes with the game.
you can’t resell the game
steam must be running to play

these go for any game sold though steam.

steam is a really nice content distribution engine imo. and just for leaving out the secuROM stuff was enough to make me buy it off steam.

if you constantly have internet on, then steam shouldnt be any issue for you. even if you dont, after you download it (which as said, can take a bit longer), its not hard to run it in offline mode.

i especially like steam because i have to just install steam, then i just leave my computer on over night downloading games.

i just dled mine from gamestop…

thanks everyone for the responses. you guys were a big help. i’ve decided to go with mudshovel’s suggestion on buying the cd key only and downloading the game. cuz the cd key only option is like half the price. :slight_smile:

is this www.g2play.net a reputable store? just double checking.

I bought my cd key from ebay for $13
for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=270439998632

You can also buy it from Impulse. It is supposedly better than Steam in some ways and has a less intrusive DRM from what I’ve read. Don’t take my word for it though because I’m still deciding how to buy it too.

oh man i wish i’d checked back here before I bought it from g2play.net
paypal says payment was sent but on the g2play.net site it says there was some order processing error. now i don’t know what to do. i’ve already sent them a msg. i don’t know if the payment went through like paypal says or if the order was declined like the g2play.net site is saying. I think the problem was that i used the 4% off coupon that they flashed when i was idling on their site.

hey bou how fast did you get ur cd key when you bought off that guy from ebay? and right now it says $15 buy it now. did you offer $13?

lol i checked his feedback comments and saw all the prices paid in the recent past for a SF4 pc license. there were a bunch of $15, $13, and a handful of $12.90s

so i guess this seller accepts $12.90 offers hehehe.

For the least amount of DRM and ease of modding, get the Impulse version.

i looked but SF4 is not available anymore on Impulse

rfadream, g2play is a good store, they send you the key in minutes.

If there was an error, email them, they will sent you a key or refund.

ya i bought it and sent them a paypal payment at 10:30am its 3pm now and still havent received a key or a response to the 2 emails i sent them. i’m kind of hoping that the order didnt go through so i can buy the key off the ebay seller that bou mentioned. its even cheaper than the g2play price.

If you have really fast internet you can download SF IV off of Steam in less then 45 mins.

I downloaded SF 4 from NYC Steam servers about 3 times (reformatted my pc a few times) and all 3 downloads were complete in 30 mins. 2.5 Mbit download speed.

My cable connection is 10 Mbit down. :slight_smile:
But steam charges $40 currently for Street Fighter 4.
Where as buying a cd key on ebay is $12.90

Not really much of a choice. IMO