SFIV Cpu Hardest and Online "Lag"

Why do they keep doing the same things? I still damage taken off me but i don’t understand why they keep doing the same thing… i think capcom should have a system where they maximize damage and pull off different combos. Do you ever lose against cpus and how different is playing somebody with “lag” is 4 bar connection really laggy or 5? How is it different fighting somebody with lag when you play offline against him?

3 bars is fine if you like mashing and eating unsafe moves, it turns the whole game system on it’s head. Ken is god tier if the player knows how to turtle and mash during block strings (GL with those in 3 bars)

Offline is always going to be the best but I settle for 4 bars since thats all I can find. If you find discrepancies with being able to do a combo offline but not online it’s usually pressure that gets to you.

The thing that really screws things up for online play is input delay. It’s (corrected) always there in online play and it really hurts when you can’t punish a move that is usually unsafe. For instance Balrogs Overhead rush punch is -5 on block that means that a 4frame jab should be able to clean punish it, but it’s a very tight punish. 1 frame to be exact. When you’re dealing with a 1-2 frame input delay that means that you’d have to time your attack 1-2 frames earlier than you do offline. Then of course if you get used to these input delays when you play offline you will be out of sync on your input timing. I try to play online as little as possible and play offline with locals instead. This, of course, isn’t doable for everyone so the best I can tell you is that if you play online a lot do some extensive offline training if you’re planning to go to an offline event.

I will try to explain to the best of my ability what fubarduck explained to me about online play and lag.

As someone who is new to fighting games, or new to playing fighting games online, there’s generally a high tolerance of what is an acceptable latency before a game is so laggy that it is deem “unplayable”. Obviously, the more serious you take fighting games, and the more time you put into it, you will start to raise your standards and perceptions, because you will be able to detect the small subtleties and nuances that beginners won’t.

For example, it is generally perceived that the Arcade version of SF4 plays slower than both console versions; PS3 and Xbox 360. It is also perceived that between the two consoles, the 360 version plays faster than PS3. What I’m trying to say is that for most beginners, these subtle speed differences won’t be apparent right away, or even at all.

So, going back to the topic of online latency, you may find matches that are all 5 bars, and while you play you detect absolutely no sign of lag. But what I want to conclude is that no matter what, no one can argue against this:

Playing online will always have lag, no matter how good the connection, no matter how smooth you think it is.

As explained to me by fubarduck:

In physics, there is nothing that can travel faster than the speed of light.
The speed of light, can travel around the world 5 times in 1 second.
So, it takes the speed of light 1/5 of a second to travel around the world once.

Now think about it this way. Even if we have speed of light technology, it still takes 1/5 of a second to send data from one side of the world to another.

SF4 operates at 60 frames a second.
1/5 of a second in SF4 = 12 frames

So the argument is, even if we have speed of light technology, the BEST we can do is still trail by 12 frames, and since fighting games is such a frame specific genre, most top players find online play unplayable. Of course, this discrepancy is completely up to each individual player to make for themselves; but if you ever wonder why high level players don’t take online seriously, this is the reason. Hope this helps.

Factor in the fact that data doesn’t travel across the world in a straight line around the circumference, but actually criss-crosses through a host of copper wiring and network hubs…

^^^Exactly. If we lose out on 12 frames in the most ideal circumstance, it can only go downhill from there. The other argument would be fiber optics, in which case, you lose efficiency of the light depending on how pure the glass traveling in the tube is, as well as the diameter and length of the tube. So either way you look at it, lag still exists. Moral of the story: Go out, make some friends, and play in person! haha.