Sharp LC47SB57UT 100ms input lag problem - any advice?

So I got a great deal on this tv, and I admit I did not do tremendous research on HDTV input lag since my last LCD tv was old and cheap and I never noticed a problem. I did read up about how Sharp LCD’s include a game mode though.

Well, apparently this guy does not have a game mode and has about 100ms input lag even in native 1080p through HDMI, Component, and VGA ports. Now honestly, I did not fully notice this lag at first, and when I did it was very “off and on”. But the more I think about it, the more noticeable it becomes when chaining together links/chains in Super Street Fighter 4. Am I psyching myself out?

The obvious problem is that I dont have the money to just go out a blow on a nice LCD/Plasma. So my real question is what can I do (if anything) to help reduce this besides turning down settings in the menu? I have read about some devices but most of them seem to rely on either using a VGA port and/or scaling to a native resolution before sending the signal to the tv.

Any thoughts? Discussion? Anyone with the same tv?

And sorry if this should be a comment in some other thread, the main HDTV lag thread seemed a bit dated and non specific.

What kind of testing did you do to determine that lag? Just wondering because I find it odd that the lag is the same across each connection (especially VGA). Unfortunately, if that is the case, there isn’t a whole lot you can do. The best recommendations are to use VGA and turn on Game Mode if possible.

Try connecting the xbox 360 using VGA and set the resolution of the xbox to 1280 x 720. Turn off all the picture enhancing options in the Sharp menu as well. Picture will look like ass and colors will look completely washed out but this might reduce the input delay by a frame. At that point, the difference between 6 frames of delay vs 5 frames might not even be worth it since the lag will still be painfully obvious except the picture now looks like garbage. Sadly there are only a handful of HDTVs larger than 30 inches with low input lag and all of them look like complete ass in VGA with game mode on.

I appreciate the responses guys. In terms of how I determined that delay, I actually found some other forums where people had done some testing and came up with 97-103ish on all ports at native resolution. And Marshall, that VGA idea, while it is tempting, seems like it would not do a whole lot for me. In terms of the VGA lag, I know that when I watch movies via the VGA port from my desktop I have to manually sync the audio and video by 0.1-0.2ms to have it match up correctly on all videos (VLC ftw).

That’s what the most frustrating part about this is that there is no “game mode” despite all the claims that “all sharps” have it. I guess it is not a huge deal because I can do what I want when I play without fault, but I guess I am just worried that when I play on a faster tv that I would have to relearn some timing.

Either of you guys (or anyone else) have experience going from laggy to non laggy? I also hear this kind of lag can be pretty subjective and its not really as big of a deal as some people make it.

I pretty much gave up playing on big HDTV now because of input lag (and pretty much gave up looking for one with low enough input lag as they don’t seem to exist). I would recommend investing in a monitor and just play SF on that. Asus VH236H monitor (evo monitor, almost lagless) can be had for about $150 when they go on sale.

You can also try other computer monitors that will most likely have less lag than a TV for even cheaper (less than $100).

mixinluv, definitely a quality idea… unfortunately my gaming PC monitor that I have is only takes DVI/HDMI and my 360 is old and only does the component out… wish I could snag a newer HDMI out xbox and play on my monitor.

What about plasmas? I hear that they have no input lag at all… I might have someone whos willing to trade with a same size plasma. I have always stayed away from them given their burn in crap and that extra plastic sheet over the monitor that can cause reflection at wide viewing angles.