Shotos are pissing me off -_-

el-fuerte

I need support with shoto match ups. Specifically Ryu.

I have this friend who rarely beats me until he picks Ryu. When he does, he tends to keep me grounded with an Air Heavy Kick into a Grab after knock down. This leaves me at two decisions. EX run the hell away, Or try and guess whether he’ll grab or CMK to Hadouken.

So I guess this qualifies as a Kara throw?

Anyway, as a dedicated fuerte player, what are some tips for saving my ass?..:sweat:

If he’s jumping, just walk him into the corner. If you’re close enough, do a run stop Guac to catch him. When he’s close to you, aside from guessing, doing QCF/QCB+LP+MP+LK is a good option select. Just use the matchup thread from now on.

Dont guess. Late tech throws so you arent getting counterhit because you are mashing tech in anticipation of a throw that isnt coming. It takes some practice but once you can late tech reliably you can be a defensive wall.

Also that doesnt qualify as a kara throw. kara throws cancel normal moves into throw, moving the character forward, beyond their usual throw range.

Definitely what Vanilla said. Learn to late tech throw. I’ve always had trouble with tick throwers… and practicing this, I usually tech outta it. And the tech spacing actually helps fuerte since he can run free without getting poked.

more info on late tech?

Basically a late tech is pressing your throw tech buttons in reaction to their movement. If they attacked you, you’ll be in block stun, and the buttons won’t do anything, you’re blocking. But if they tried to throw you, the input will tech the throw.

Doing this really helped me, as I’d often mash c.lp+lk quickly hoping to tech their throw or kick out of it… but by doing it so early (and with fuerte’s crappy lk), I’d actually start a c.lk, and they’d throw me out of it… lead to a lot of frustration. By waiting until you see them do something, you’re much more likely to tech.

Air heavy kick is tough if you’re not spaced correctly and it will stuff your airborne moves like splash. Run back further and tortilla him, or run stop ex guac or well time a LK version. The Ryu matchup isn’t too bad for me because you can tortilla his wakeup shoryukens. The trick is to make him never want to leave the ground.

You don’t have to run back too far to land tortilla on a jump in heavy kick. Tortilla has a touch of invincibility (to hit, but you can still get grabbed during that). If you are unsure of spacing tostada works fine for a knockdown. You do not want Ryu rushing you down

If you have meter and are spaced well EX guac that shit everytime.

Until someone posts a video, as far as I know YOU CAN NO LONGER TORTILLA RYU’S DPs. Which is why you want to safe tortilla PAST them or ex guac them. You can beat them with regular guac but distance and strength variation seem to be a factor.

I had to post because I felt the need to tweak some answers I saw here. But please let this thread go and head to the matchup thread. And don’t forget to hit training mode.

Patience really is key when it comes to any one with a reliable gtfo me reversal and people who jump back constantly. Walking him to the corner as said before is great for getting random people under control. You can also forgo perusing and build meter by using lk guacamole to build up for ex. For a lot of low level ryus it annoys them into throwing fire balls at you which can equal a full screen wall bounce punish or another lk hop over it to build more meter.

If you are having trouble with his wake up shorus work on safe tortillas and safe cross up hp which also hits him trying to jump back. Staying on the ground and using low hi mix ups with throws and baits can make them alittle more weary of shorus if it doesn’t it’s free damage for you.

This is all just IMO hope it helps just don’t get frustrated and chase him to much or ex guacamole at stupid times as I have done and still do to much

Maybe you should knock him down, block his dps and punish until you win. Doesn’t sound like hes gonna think about waking up with anything intelligent when hes on defense if his offensive mixup is c.mks and throws lol.

Maybe you should knock him down, block his dps and punish until you win. Doesn’t sound like hes gonna think about waking up with anything intelligent when hes on defense if his offensive mixup is c.mks and throws lol.

yo how the fuck do you deal with akumas teleport

OS. Jump in on him while hitting QCF/QCB + HP + MP

If he doesn’t teleport, you hit him, blocking or not. If he does, you go into run, which will move you toward him as if you anticipated the teleport in the first place.

I need to practice that option.

What I do currently, is either run at them and do mk from run so I can recover quick and keep pursuit, or do something like f.mk s.hk for the same reasons.

That option is pretty sweet though.