Should I be content or dissatisfied with my progress?

I only really started getting seriously into fighting games these past 2 years and I only got a TE stick in mid july. That equates to about a month or so of practice with it (much less since i took two weeks vacation in Japan but I played a little bit of Tekken and AE there).

My history has been this (chronologically)

1. Download emulators, screw around with random games playing on the keyboard
  2. Have CVS2 on PS2 and play on a pad
  3. Have MBAC on PC and play on a keyboard
  4. Play Third Strike and KOF 96 and Vampire
  5. Love Third Strike and start playing with keyboard since I have no stick
  6. Get pretty good with keyboard and with makoto and can do all of her stuff save for consistent 100% stun
  7. Roommate gets an xbox and super 4.
  8. Take my friends random tekken 6 wireless arcade stick and start playing as fei long and doing trials
  9. Am pretty decent and can do Inputs to the left with no problem and could get through about 3/4 of his trials, linking etc is no problem for me but cannot do supers to the right side for the life of me
  10. leave boarding school
  11. finally order TE stick off of ebay
  12. start playing third strike on DC and PS2 but they don’t have input display so I cannot diagnose (July 2011) and have no xbox yet

-still cannot do double qcf motion to the right consistently (by that i mean like 1/10 of the time)
-cannot do c.mk xx shoryuken consistently (super comes out sometimes, sometimes hadouken, only way to do it is do F, D, MK, DF, P)
-cannot do normals into supers (but can do specials into supers, ie hadouken xx shikuuhadouken)

should i be worried about my progress? Or am I right where I should be and should just keep practicing? And in terms of knowledge of the games / how I play I’ll say that on third strike i pretty much know all of makotos stuff, i just can’t execute.

It took me about a year to consistently nail down motions playing at least an hour or two a week. I have started playing more since June, around an hour a day or more taking a few days off each week, I can hit 1 frame links with plinking about 80%-100% depending on which character I use. My problem now is implementing my combos from training mode into actual matches. That and my defense is terrible still. It’s hard to gauge where you should be at because everyone learns differently, also keep in mind some people have been playing fighting games for 10+ years.

right, but is execution something that you should be able to do within 1 to 2 months of getting a stick? because i feel like i can’t get anywhere unless i know how to properly punish etc but that’ll get screwed up if i can’t even get the super to come out

I’ve been playing properly for about 2 months. I never played SF as a kid, and didn’t play Third Strike. I got a stick at the same time I made the decision to play seriously. (Two months ago)

I play Ryu. I understand all the concepts. I know what they look like in a match. I know combos, I know reversals, I can auto correct DP etc. But doing this in a match when someone is pounding me from all directions is a different matter.

I am now getting combos in, zoning a lot better, defending better yet still getting my arse kicked. But I do see the progress from two months ago to now and I know in another two months I’ll be even better.

I’m sure you’re at the right stage for your time played.

Here’s a training regime for you that helped me a lot for execution.

Do 100 Hadokens. If you fail at 56, 99 whatever, you start again. When you hit 100 do the Shoryuken in the same manner, but back and forth.

You can start with 10 or 20 if you feel you’ll never get to 100, but I can now do 100 in a row. Might take me a few goes but I always get in the high numbers. This is after doing this for a month playing a few hours a day when I’m not at work and maybe an hour after work. If when you’re doing this you fuck up all the time, don’t worry. You will get it. Have faith in your brain and muscle memory :wink:

There more you practice the more you’ll get it. If you’re practicing something and you start to fuck it up more and more, stop and train another element. Then go back to it. You’ll start to train yourself the wrong way to do it. It will be counter productive.

I’m still struggling in Endless, but that’s down to confidence and learning matchups as well as my shitty defending. My execution is getting much better.

If you’re on Xbox add me, Mepha.

As far as I can tell, your post can be summed up like this: “I got a stick a couple of months ago and I still can’t do X, Y, and Z. Should I be concerned?”

NO. Your execution problems are completely normal, and they shouldn’t have you dissatisfied with how your game is progressing. You weren’t born hard-wired to do Shoryukens on a joystick, it’s a learning process. Making the transition from pad (or keyboard, in your case) to stick is natural for some players, and extremely difficult for others. Personally, I was switching grips and rethinking my hand positions throughout most of my first year on a joystick, but now it’s second nature.

I’m not sure how you train, but you might want to consider using some of your lab time to practice nothing but execution. You can’t expect this problem to go away just by playing against your friends – if anything, that will probably reinforce your bad habits. Rather, go into training mode and practice the motions which give you trouble. Do the motion slowly, and gradually speed it up as you feel like you’re getting the hang of things. Turn on the input display (if it exists) to ensure you’re doing things accurately. Do this on both P1 and P2 sides, and do it every day. It might take a night, it might take a week, it might take even longer than that, but you will see improvement.

Dude you are 1 month into using a stick it takes time.

Just practice. Aside from just learning a combo, you’ve got to exercise and train the muscles you use when executing on a joystick. Unless you’re like a musician or something, these muscles won’t have the dexterity required. Practice, Practice, Practice.

All of the above are pretty much spot on so I’ll lay in a different perspective. Your progress depends solely on you and the time you are willing to invest in these games. If you are just playing to have some fun online/with friends then you are probably in the more casual range of players, which means that you practice at your leisure. That means your progress will be slow, therefore you are probably where you should be. Stick to it and you will eventually reach a decent execution level. On the other hand, if you are looking to be a tournament contender and want to be competitive, then you should probably step up your practice regime. Set some goals based on where you want to be and when.

Execution is very much person specific in terms of time spent, but all you need to know is that your problems are not unique.

ah i finally found a game with input display. cvs2. thanks for the advice btw guys, i’ve just been looking at it with the wrong attitude. 1 hour a day im telling myself to just keep doing inputs, using daigo’s grip with a slight variation, and i can feel the progress already

1 hour still isn’t a long time, if you want faster progress, you need to put more time in, but structure your training instead of just randomly kicking, punching, tossing out moves. Also, don’t just use Daigo’s grip because it’s Daigo, what works best for him isn’t universal, you need to use what’s actually comfortable for you.

Do you have some kind of training structure? I’d be interested to see what you or other people do in their training regime.

i started doing this and i guess ill implement this more

wake up at 8 oclock, practice for 2 hours, eat breakfast, play a little more (maybe not fighters specifically) and then have a life afterwards. If i want more i can play maybe a little before i go to sleep

well i found that implementing it has helped a lot, and it’s not strictly daigo’s grip, its a little looser and i change my grip frequently depending on what move i do, going from 2 finger to 3 finger to no finger grip

I have never used arcade stick, the first fighting game I played was street fighter 4, and then super sf4, in super i have 4 trials left(Adon and honda) And I use xbox controller. You should use whats better for you. Although, if you’re going to use honda/chunli/gen. I suggest stick, because moves like Mk - quick hands with gen is hard on pad.

I’ve only played Sf for 1 year and a half though, but your progress seems good, put more time into it though. And your moves like ck - uppercut, and fireball - super, you’ll pick up those things as you go, fighting online with real people is best way to learn. (you should try SF4[Vanilla] On xbox live, most people on there are beginners, easy to fight)

My Training regime consists of, learning new tactics. What I do is watch combo videos, then go into training and practice. and then i try different combos around different area of screen. But mainly. Just go into practice, keep trying abit to warm-up, then go into ranked games. Thats what I do. although, not all characters are easy to find combos. But since I use gouken, i find new stuff like every week, lol

people still have execution problems after years of playing, i wouldnt worry about it too much a month in, esp if you’re practicing semi-regularily

Your progress is a little bit slow, I think. But the answer to the question of whether or not you should be satisfied with your progress is almost always no :stuck_out_tongue: Let yourself celebrate after you reach a goal, then right back to the grind!

I wouldn’t say it’s slow. It took me ages to learn Ryus’ super and ultra move properly. It’s hard at first, can take ages AND he’s only playing a little bit a day.

I do agree that you should set yourself a goal and then reward yourself with a treat; A cookie maybe. :slight_smile:

COOKIES!!! :smiley: