Should I drop Guy?

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>I really like Sneaker Ninja Bro, but going into his Forum section and seeing some high level play with him is daunting, as using him competently apparently requires extremely good execution and command of fundamentals that I just don’t have yet(I’ve only been playing for about a week). Not quite ready to get off pad yet, either. I want to go about improving in the most efficient manner and I fear he may just be out of my league for now… ;___;</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div>

I’ve started using Guy since the SSF4 period and I find he is a fine character to play with.<div><br></div><div>He has decent combo damage and can apply pressure using the run/stop move.</div><div><br></div><div>Execution wise I find him still quite ok compared to like Viper or Gen.</div><div><br></div><div>The only thing about him is he doesn’t really have any decent reversal except for the EX-Hurricane kick which can’t be FADCed which makes it not safe.</div><div><br></div><div>The main thing you have to be careful when using him is the frequent using of Cr.Hk which is the slide.</div><div><br></div><div>You can try to bait opponents to do anti-air by using the elbow drop which breaks Guy’s jump which is pretty decent.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

High level play with any character is daunting.  Every single character requires extremely good execution and fundamentals at high level play.<div><br></div><div>Learn your character more. Your execution gets better by challenging your execution. Things that you need to be able to do on command with Guy in order to do well: run stop pressure, combo off his overhead kick with cr.lk, combo off cr.lk, do safe jumps off throws and run slide, combo off frame trap cr.hp, cr.mp, and cl.mk, convert off far mp into run slide for an untechable knockdown -> safejump (at least do far mp xx EX hozanto), and j.mk crossup -> cr.mp -> bushin chain.</div><div><br></div><div>Guy’s best anti-airs are far hk, cr.mp, EX Tatsu, and tiger knee EX air throw.</div><div><br></div><div>Getting better at fundamentals is a mindset, not dependent on character choice. If you die from doing something, do something else. Guy’s best poke is far mk. You should practice playing at neutral with Guy a lot against people and learn what beats what.</div>

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>If you like the character don’t stop.  Just keep playing. I actually thing Guy is under rated and under played atm.  Pad is fine, but learning how to plink is a good idea.  Not sure if you can do it on pad.</span></font><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>If you haven’t read it yet go over Otinhoso’s gdlk tutorial:</div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Guy Tutorial for beginners/intermediates - what and how to do - essential basics</span></font><br></div></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”><br></span></font></div>

Drop Guy?!?!?! Are you Crazy?! The only time you should drop Guy is when you are doing an Izuna Drop with him. OR maybe an elbow drop to interrupt his jump. :wink: <br><br>Seriously though, you should use a character you feel comfortable with, and right now you are just beginning your journey as a World Warrior. I wouldn’t drop Guy until you learn the game as a whole more.<br>Also, play with various characters to see if there is anyone you may enjoy playing more than Guy. For instance, I recently have been doing Vanilla trials and found that I liked using Rose, Gouken & Dhalsim. (I used Ken & Dhalsim in X-Men vs SF, and Rose a tad in Alpha days.)<br>Back in SF2, I was all about Guile and Blanka was my first character, until one day when a dude let me have his game as he had to get going and he was playing Ryu.<br><br>My advice is to stick with Guy, learn every nuance of his game. Then decide if you want to drop him. IF you pick up SFxT, you’ll have an understanding of his baseline gameplan.<br>Above all else, have fun. If you aren’t having fun with a character, then find one you like. Stick with that character. Learn everything about that character, and you will find the rest of the game and cast will come easier to you, imo.<br>

<h1 class=“H” style=“box-sizing: border-box; margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); line-height: 22.09375px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”><span style=“font-size: 18px; font-family: Bitter, serif;”>@SPECTERLIGHT </span><font size=“2” face=“Arial”>Yeah, I think you’re right. And, honestly, I’ve decided against it. After playing with all the characters in SSFIVAE and playing SFxT, I’ve found that guy is my absolute favorite. Just 'gonna do my best to bust my ass and go for the gold with him. Thanks, bro.</font></h1>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/82739/__Azure">__Azure</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”><h1 class=“H” style=“margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px none; outline: 0px none; font-weight: 400; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); line-height: 22.0938px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”><span style=“font-size: 18px; font-family: Bitter,serif;”>@SPECTERLIGHT </span><font size=“2” face=“Arial”>Yeah, I think you’re right. And, honestly, I’ve decided against it. After playing with all the characters in SSFIVAE and playing SFxT, I’ve found that guy is my absolute favorite. Just 'gonna do my best to bust my ass and go for the gold with him. Thanks, bro.</font></h1><br>Anytime man. I’m no expert, but if I can help, I will.<br>Definitely set up a youtube account and subscribe to Otinhoso & Kiryu Tsukimiya. They are the best Guy players from what I understand, and Otinhoso has a very good thread/tutorial on Guy. <br>BloodDrunk and EvilDante are also Very good Guy players, and they frequent the Guy forums.<br><br>Put your Sneakers on and start bashing oil drums…<br><br></div>
</blockquote>

<br>