Shut up! - The Sentinel Thread

It heavily depends on who your fighting. In general though, I would suggest try to anticipate how they are going to attempt to zone you and negate it with j.M or j.H. Since Sentinel is so big and his attacks aren’t the fastest, it’s easy to become predictable with your attacks, but that’s why I also love his regular throw (I hardly use command since unless you’re in the corner, it’s a lot more difficult to combo for hardly a damage increase) cause both on the ground and in the air can be followed up in the same fashion.

Now if you’re fighting characters that projectiles that have multiple hits such as Deadpool, Chris’ Submachine gun, Iron Man, Ammy’s Cold Star, the best thing to do is instead of trying to negate their projectiles, try to anticipate when they’re going to try to zone you out, and get around them. It’s not easy considering his size, but it’s his best option. Once you can get in j. M range at least, that’s when you want to start pressuring with jumping attacks, wavedash into s.M or c.M or even regular throw. The hardest thing is getting your opponent into block stun, but after that, it becomes much easier to start your offense.

If anyone could help, I have questions about Hard Drive.

Is there a trick to land it properly midscreen? After an air combo, :qcf::uf::l:, Hard Drive, they sometimes drop out after one/two hits midscreen. How do I make sure it carries them into the corner?

Another thing, sometimes when using it in the corner they will drop out before the last hit (the one that would place them in spinning knockdown) and I have to go for a quick mix-up. Is there a way to guarantee the last hit in the corner?

I was wondering the same thing. I noticed that the closer to the center they are the more likely they are to receive all of the hits ( :h: fly :l: :h: unfly :m: dj :m: :h: hard drive does this very well) but even landing the target dead center in the hard drive after a tk rp can end up with them ejected from the entire hard drive after one hit.

I’ve always had trouble with trying to find out why the last hit does or doesn’t connect, but for landing Hard Drive, there’s somewhat if a “sweet spot” you want to put the opponent in. Whenever you’re going to follow up with a Hard Drive super, you want to make sure you are as close as you can get to the grounded opponent within the time you have (for example, you usually have time for a full dash after an Air Combo) then go for the tiger knee Rocket Punch. The further away someone is when you activate Hard Drive, the more of a chance they have of falling out of it. Another thing is the higher the opponent is after being OTG’d, the better the chance the Hard Drive won’t drop. (Though the most important factor in regards to a character dropping, is how far you are when you activate the super)

snapback after plasma storm!!!

In the interest of having the UMvC3 character threads be as awesome as possible, I am posting here to offer up my current Ultimate Dormammu Thread as a base skeleton to anyone who intends to manage a character thread, or something similar, in Ultimate. It is currently stripped of information, and will remain so until about a week before release. I am not attempting to toot my own horn, but rather offer to others what took me quite a bit of work to do, so that those who would rather not spend the time on such things do not have to.

I have received a lot of compliments to-date about the structure, and a few people have requested permission to use its structure for UMvC3, so I thought I would go around and make the offer to others who might not be aware that someone out there has already done the grunt work for them (haha). Because I am posting this in all the character forums, and this is time consuming on its own, I have not taken the time to check for how developed the thread I am posting on current is. Thus, I ask that no one be offended at my suggestion if your character forum is well constituted already - I mean no intrusion upon your methodologies!

Here is a link to the thread blueprint:

You can get an example of what it looks like when filled out here:

You are of course entirely welcome to change whatever you like if you want to incorporate this structure into your own thread. I have all of my posts saved as Word documents on my computer. If you would like these documents instead of having to copy/paste from the main threads, please feel free to PM me your email address, along with the character thread they will be used for, and I will gladly send them.

Highest Regards to All,
Karst

Use this if you’re up against another sentinel.

Ok, been away for a while and this threads been dead so I decided ill post a little. I’ve been running storm/sentinel/amaterasu and I’ve been getting moderate success from the team. Storm and sentinel are still BFF’s ten years later and I really like the synergy between the two of them. Sent and ammy on the other hand, Im trying to figure out nice set-ups and stuff with them but overall that is the weakest formation my team can fall into, I am not very good at taking advantage of cold star since sent doesn’t really have any high low mix-ups and thats what-from my experience at least-coldstar is really good at setting up. So far the only good set-ups i’ve found are st. :h: cr. :h: HSF dhc okami shuffle and its not even that effective since 1. Okami shuffle doesn’t hit full screen so unlike sent/storm, this is only possible from like mid-screenish and 2. Okami shuffle pops them up making most of the drones miss their target. Also I use cold star after a corner bnb to get two rocket punches before my plasma storm but other than these two minor things sent/ammy doesn’t seem like a very potent combo at all.

On a separate note, how do you guys handle the taskmaster match-up? It seems he has the advantage at all ranges and I really don’t know what to do against him. And while Im asking for match-up help, how do I handle a super jump height zero constantly spamming buster shots? I try to super jump :m:, and it works every now and then but its its either not very consistent, or Im not very consistent at the execution. Thank you. Oh and finally what are you guys incoming character mix-ups? I don’t really have any at all, particularly since my assist(cold star) doesn’t seem to help much in that regard, but maybe Im not using it properly.

Couple questions here since I noticed this section is a little dead even after the release of Ultimate.

1. What is Sentinels best position on a team? Second or Anchor with that level-3 X-Factor? I purposely left him off of point because I feel that drones assist is just so damn deadly.

2. What are some good teammates to match Sentinel with, especially ones who sync extremely well with the drones assist.

Appreciate it!

imo, sents best position is second, he isn’t a good point because he has just has far too many bad match-ups and more importantly his assist is so damn good its really a waste having him on point. And anchor is really bad because like I said, he has sooooooo many bad match-ups that you have to be on point as a player to survive against a lot of characters.

As for your second question, lol, anyone, literally. Drones are some of the most versatile assists in the entire game and can work wonders on any team. keep away, rush down, combo extension, anything. So what I do is I pick an anchor character with an assist that really helps sentinel, at the moment Im running trish with peekabo and until I find something better I think Im gonna stick with that. It helps sentinel when characters get within the range of his st. :m:(his optimal range) and it makes people extra afraid of hitting buttons. It also allows sentinel to combo off his command grab mid-screen.

But if your not a fan of running trish, you can pair sent with a strong projectile assist and I think that helps him out. Also hidden missiles really boost sents keep away imo. Just a couple ideas you can run with.

lol, the sentinel boards discussing combos.

Like Jak said basically ?/Sent/Dormammu_Skrull_Iron Man_Doom_Trish_Magneto_Vergil_Wesker_etc

Heres a question though(lemme ask while this thread has a little traffic), how do you guys consistently combo off hard drive? I hit quite a few of them, but sometimes the opponent lands behind, sometimes they land in front and sometimes my cr. :m: just whiffs completely and sent eats a delicious combo as a result. So how do y’all know when you can combo off it? I know it has something to do with what part of the hard drive hits them and shit but I don’t really know where.

On Rocket Racoon, you cannot do OTG rocket punch if you are both hugging the corner. You have to backdash, otherwise it completely whiffs. Wesker assist whiffs in a corner combo as well, you have to move even farther from the corner to connect Wesker so I don’t really think it’s practical on Rocket Racoon if your team uses Wesker relaunches.

Sentinel can immediately cancel the recovery of his command grab with his hypers. So you can do command grab buffer hyper or Xfactor and it will option select - if you get the grab nothing comes out, if they jumped you get drones and are probably safer.

I run Sentinel on point on Sentinel-Dante-Wesker. Jam Session is so useful for crossup fly tricks and zoning. Spit spit assist call drones is very strong. You can also call Jam Session and then spit. This covers Dante, preventing them from punishing the assist. And Dante prevents them from punishing your spit because of the wall of lightning. This can get blown up by teleports of course. Ideally you do this close enough that they’re forced to block Jam Session so they aren’t free to do whatever they want.

Jam Session also lets you combo off cr.m xx fly midscreen and makes going for air grabs safer in case you get an accidental boot. Any random connect with Jam Session can be followed up with j.:s: -> :s: -> :m: :h: :s: :a2: :s: :h: :s:, :l: air rocket punch before you land xx Hard Drive, cr.:m: xx rocket punch xx Plasma Storm.

Wesker’s low assist helps provide offense and Sentinel’s invincible limbs and threat of Hard Drive help cover Wesker. Wesker might get hit, but he won’t get combo’d and your opponent will be punished easily. j.:h: xx fly, call :a2: :l: :h: :s: will make a ghetto unblockable and combo into frying pan. If you’re feeling saucy you could do :l: :h: xx unfly :h: v jump j.:h: j:s: for a bit more damage.

Jam Session means that if your opponent tries to meet you air to air they might just run into a random wall of lightning. And Sentinel is safest in the air while still threatening big damage with j:l: xx j.:m: xx j.:s: or j.:m: xx double jump j.:m:/j.:h: xx j.:s:.

Level 3 Xfactor Sentinel is still a beast. I often tag out Sentinel to Wesker if I kill their point so he can heal and potentially come back if shit goes south. I also benefit from drone assist.

You can combo off his command grab solo midscreen with immediate fly -> OTG rocket punch xx Hard Drive

For Sentinel runaway, you need to cover his spit and drone calls. Beam assists help cover the startup. Lockdown assists help cover the recovery. Anti-air assists like Hulk AA Gamma Charge (is that its name?) can be called while spitting since it’s a normal.

If a character is going to punish your spit with a tri jump or whatever don’t be afraid to cancel into Hyper Sentinel Force to make yourself safe. If I get baited I can always DHC to Devil Trigger and teleport to get offense going.

In Vanilla the last hit (I believe 12th hit) put them into a spinning knockdown. So watch the combo counter. You can visually confirm the hit as well, they fly up and diagonally.

You can also hear it I think. The hits before the 12th are rapid-fire, then a delay, then the last hit. Not 100% sure about that.

If you whiff the cr.:m: I believe you can cancel into fly and then unfly to be safe. Or stomp on their face.

I believe how high the hard drive hits matters for the timing of the cr.:m: so if you hit a raw hard drive you have to know how high up you are to hit the followup.

In tk rocket punch xx hard drive in the corner, for most characters it helps get all hits of hard drive if you backdash before the rocket punch.

Thanks a bunch, had no idea, so what your saying is if the last hit doesn’t hit I won’t be able to follow up right? Good to know. And yea you are indeed correct it is the 12th hit, so now Im gonna have to start doing math in the middle of my matches lol. Ill test to see if I can hear it but when Im at tourneys I usually play with a headset on antyway so that won’t be too useful.

Glad to see your still playing sent, from the complete lack of activity in these forums I thought I was the only one left actually trying to learn sentinel. What team you playing now? Im currently running sentinel/storm/trish, but Im doing this to better my sentinel on point, for an actual tourney or money match ill run someone/sentinel/trish. Not sure who is gonna be in the first slot yet.

sentinel is still pretty much intact, but the rocket punch hitstun nerf is a little weaksauce. it seems to me his relaunch is more important now for damage and corner carry. good thing harddrive still produces the same spinning knockdown no matter hsd making harddrive loop good to go. sentinel for assist/xf-anchor is still the flavor of the day for him IMO.

What about his light normals(Im really milking this current influx of traffic), how do y’all use them? I never use any of them but I see a lot of sentinels usingf his :l:'s in their pressure game from the cr. :l: to the flying :l:. I realize the cr. :l: covers the space directly in front of sent where his :m: and :h: would either whiff or come out to slowly. But yea how exactly do y’all use his :l:'s?

And while we are on the topic of tools, how do y’all use his drones? Ironically they don’t seem very good on point despite being such a good assist. I occasionally call out the bombing drones(especially when dealing with teleporters) to keep them fools honest, but I haven’t found much use for the :m: and :h: drones at all.

L is great in flight blockstrings and to hit people you expect are trying to jump up and smack your shit quickly. Also, sentinel can punish a surprising amount of moves with cr.L, though it still isnt amazing or anything.

I just use drones for incoming set-ups or if I want to approach from across the entire screen. M drones then hover around like an asshole in their airspace is pretty fun too.

j.l j.m j.s is great air to air at point blank.

You can sometimes combo plasma storm into s.l.

cr.l helps you punish stuff, like Robotic said. One cr.l often actually adds damage to the combo overall.

:h: drones is useful in case you think they’re going to try to punish you calling drones. If they try to bop you, the bombs still fall and you can get a launcher off usually.

Full screen cancelling spit into drones can help lock down an opponent. Use :m: drones because they angle up so they’re harder to avoid. And if they crouch underneath you can call more drones.

If you get them to block one set of drones, you can get them to block a second set of drones.

If you hit them with :l: or :m: drones you can convert into a high damage combo with launcher. Even if you hit them in the air.

You can get a bit more damage off call drones, xfactor, rocket punch, launcher than you can rocket punch xfactor launch.

On incoming characters you can get some cover by putting out some drones. It’s safe too.

The startup on drones is horrendous, but they travel slowly enough for you to use them as cover for rushdown or more zoning.

Thanks guys, I definitely feel like my sentinel game is getting much better. I don’t get air thrown as much anymore(one of my biggest weaknesses back in the day) and overall I think Im becoming better at using each normal at the right time and shit and now ill add his :l:'s to my game.