Silent Sanwas Accuracy?

Thinking of getting a set for my fusion, but I’m kinda cautious atm since I hear they’re not as accurate as regualr sanwa buttons. Is this true?

They’re the same “accuracy-wise.”

But, the Silent’s have like a thin foam insert in the buttons used to muffle the sound. It feels different from a regular sanwa. Whether you like the feel or not it dependent on you…

Do they feel more like those Mortal Kombat II American Arcades?

I wouldnt be able to give you that comparison.

If you have a Sanwa pushbutton yourself, the closest feel you can get to the Silents using home products is taking a “grippy sheet” and cutting it to fit in a Sanwa.

Its those grippy sheets that are foam like and you put them on countertops and such. You can find them at the dollar store. Kinda like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c0uMLiaOUWw/UZAzucrHdzI/AAAAAAAAAE0/MrcTbf8IY8I/s1600/pattern+grips_coasters.jpg

Take apart your Sanwa, and place the plunger onto the grippy sheet and trace the plunger using a pen. Cut the grippy sheet smaller than the circle you just traced and make a small slit in the centre of your new grippy sheet circle. Place it into the bottom of the rim, reassemble your Sanwa, and thats what the Silents feel like. (Note: the small slit is so that your actual microswitch actuator can go through it)

Note: If you use this grippy sheet method, while ghetto, it actually accomplishes the same task as the Silents. That being said, my personal preference is w/o the Silent’s foam circle-thing. I personally cannot stand that weird muffled feeling, I need that clickity-clack of the Sanwas, even if they are loud.

Thanks for the advice. Now you gave me an idea about how to silent Seimitsu PS-15 which are not silent.

Personally, I’d buy the pre-made silencers if they’re made for your buttons… It’s a pain to try to make stuff like this on your own even with the right tools. And that will cost you more than breaking down and paying for the already made silencer pads. Unless you have the experience, too, not only the cost will do you in but you’ll have problems being consistent with cuts.

enb141,
You can buy two copies of any joystick made out there from different production years and many times they won’t feel exactly the same. Oft-times it’s the springs or microswitch differences that cause different feel. They’re put together by human hands and many basic parts are still cut and assembled by hand, too. That alone is going to ensure that each joystick may or will have its own quirks and personality.

Sanwa and Seimitsu also make changes to their joysticks that don’t always get announced. Those production decisions can influence stick behavior.
There are certainly differences amongst the more similar production models that each company sells. I wouldn’t call an LS-40 identical to an LS-32 nor would I say that either is exactly like an LS-58. They all have little tweaks and differences in construction that make them personal favorites of individual players, or parts that some people avoid altogether…
I dunno. I try not to get too attached to any one joystick lever and have equipped them with both LS-32 and LS-40 levers. I’ve got plans to make maybe 2 silent versions of the LS-32 clone/Zippyy classic joystick and buy maybe 2-3 LS-56’s/LS-58’s in addition to the one I own. I might even get a Korean fightstick lever just to try it out. I just like to be used to the differences and more versatile that way.
To each his own!

I’ll take that in count GeorgeC.

Meanwhile I’ll get those P-15 and test them.

You’re welcome!

You’ll like the PS-15’s. They’re much more convenient than other buttons in one sense – very easy to remove the plungers and swap out the PS-14D microswitches. You don’t have to remove the main body/retaining ring from the joystick faceplate to take off the plungers. Can’t say that about the other Seimitsu and Sanwa buttons!
The PS-15’s are also better buttons to use in shallow/thin joysticks because of their low height/depth. They don’t suffer at all performance-wise for that.
It’s always been a puzzle to me as to why the PS-15 pushbuttons aren’t more popular.

FYI, if you don’t like the way the buttons feel, they can be softened up quite a bit by swapping the original microswitches with Sanwa SW-68 microswitches, the micros Sanwa uses in its own buttons. PS-14D microswitches are cross-compatibles with SW-68’s.
I had to swap out the PS-14D’s in my PS-15s because they just felt too hard with the original micros. Funny thing is that there are other Seimitsu buttons that use PS-14D micros and they don’t feel “hard” or like “hitting a brick wall.” The design of the plunger/plastic used makes as big a difference as the micro. That same microswitch (PS-14D) is perfectly fine in the 24mm Seimitsu buttons as well as the 30mm (out-of-production) Pearl buttons and original PS-14-K “Skeleton” buttons Seimitsu makes.
It took me a day or so to get used to the SW-68’s in the PS-15’s… They had to settle in or something. It didn’t feel like for a while that the plungers “capped” onto the new microswitches… Probably not the case, really, but the feel was very different than before. The PS-15’s are far more comfortable with the swapped micros in my case. About as responsive as the Sanwa buttons are.
Be all means keep the original PS-14D microswitches if you swap them out… They can be used in other Seimitsu buttons except the PS-14-G’s and PS-14-KN’s. Also compatible with the Sanwa pushbuttons. Some people prefer to use PS-14D’s in Sanwa pushbuttons because they feel the stock SW-68 micros are too sensitive.

Cool thanks for the advice, I just bought my PS-15 and I hope to use them soon so then I’ll decide if I’ll change the microswitches but is good to see that they can be replaced if I don’t like with Sanwa’s SW-68 ones.

I’ve made home made silencers and they work great but its hard to find 1mm thick material. I used 2mm and it was a tad too thick. I would try buying some of the pre made ones from PAS if you dont want to buy whole new buttons to get the official sanwa pads.