Single motion causing multiple attacks in SFxT

An example of what I’m talking about is Kuma’s crouching medium kick into Frolicking Bear. The normal commands for this would just be medium kick canceled into half circle back + medium kick. However, if you input the medium kick in the middle of the half circle back and the rest of the motion is fast enough you can skip the input of that last medium kick and the Frolicking Bear will still come out. So here you have one medium kick motion causing two attacks.This effect seems to affect a whole bunch of cancelable moves and often comes out unintentionally.

As someone who is relatively new to modern fighting games I find this rather bizarre and sometimes annoying. It’s hard for me because I’m using a d-pad, so every forward-back motion is registered as a half circle movement and sometimes random moves will come out when I’m trying to change directions. I’d like to know if there is a general explanation for how this mechanic works and what I can do to deal with it effectively.

Most likely due to input leniency and shortcuts in SFxT. SF4 had similar problems with their unusual uppercut shortcuts, causing you to do a DP when you don’t want to.

The best solution would be to clean up your inputs. I find that as long as you return your stick to neutral before executing a special move or command normal, it helps out your execution consistency. So, for example, after performing a cr.mk with Kuma, return your stick to neutral, and then do a clean half circle back motion. It takes some quick hands to perform, but that’s the most reliable way to do it.

What you’re talking about is Negative Edge, which registers the release of attack buttons towards the activation of special moves.

Like Krackatoa said it’s Negative Edge.

It can be hard to get used to, but if you don’t want it to happen just make sure you’re done with the motion and THEN hit the button.

So for a hadouken, do qcf, then hit punch immediately after you push forward, or else you will do punch XX hadouken instead of just a hadouken.

It’s a good idea to learn how to harness the power of the negative edge, however.