Skills Training

I wanted to ask what would be the best way to practice Hit confirming, spacing and blocking while in the training rooms of SSF IV and UMvC3?

I would say, learn some attacks of the other characters, and record them attacking you. Then, try to find a variety of simple ways to shut them down.

Honestly though, I really think you can learn these types of things better by fighting the same player repeatedly.

Hit confirming:

Go into training mode and set the dummy to [S]auto[/S] random block. Practice your hit confirm combos. If it hits, go into a full combo. If it doesn’t hit, go for another attack, frame trap, high/low mix-up, back off, whatever. Learn to use your reactions alongside visual and audio cues to determine whether or not you’re hitting or NOT hitting your opponent, and proceed from there.

Spacing:

Difficult to train without a lot of time and effort. It helps to know what all of your normals look like. ALL of them. standing, crouching, jumping, neutral jumping, directional normals, etc etc. Also understand what your special and super moves can do. They were designed for a specific purpose, figure out what that is, and you’ll understand how to utilize it in your match. Got a fireball? It can be used to zone out the other character as well as in the ground game. Have an uppercut? Probably used as an anti-air, combo ender, or high risk high reward motions. So forth. Figure out which moves function best as a poke, counter poke, anti-air, which are safe or unsafe, which functoin best as a frame trap and blockstring, etc. These are all used to help you understand how to control space, protect your zone, or attack the other character’s zone.

Blocking:

Can’t really train this in training mode. You can practice how to defend against tick throws, frame traps, in training mode, but it’s never as ideal as playing against another person. You’ll have to learn this on the fly. It starts with understanding that blocking is THE most important skill to learn, and that it’s okay to block an attack. It’s better to get thrown, than to eat a highly damaging combo. Cross-ups and ambiguous cross-ups take practice to figure out how to defend, but for the basics, it’s not difficult to identify when you need to play aggressive and attack, and when you are in a bad situation and that you just need to block to get out of it.

I think you meant random block, not auto block

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Whoops. Thanks for that correction. Fixed.

The skills you mentioned aren’t things you should really be focusing on in training mode, those are things that are slowly acquired by grinding matches. Training mode is for working on execution and working on setups or counters to specific things.

I’m pretty sure you can practice hit confirming in training mode very reliably. You are correct about spacing and blocking, that sort of stuff you learn best through goal-oriented practice matches against live opponents, and/or studying hit box overlays.

It’s true that using the random block feature could help someone get better at reacting to a hit/block and completing the combo/blocking/changing to a safe special, but it doesn’t really train someone as to when to throw out their initial attack, which depends on a lot of factors like their spacing, startup frames, their opponent’s recovery frames, the possibility of a frame trap bait, etc. I think this is the aspect of hit confirming that new players actually find most difficult and thus training this in real matches is more ideal.

I advise practicing in training mode to “get their feet wet” so to speak. This allows them to practice the basic motions in a controlled environment. The majority of the time, you’ll be practicing hit confirm combos after a cross-up or jump attack. It’s a basic example, but one that doesn’t require much experience or knowledge on spacing specific setups, just execute the hit confirm after a well-timed jump attack. Once they’re able to fully understand the idea of confirming whether or not your opponent is getting hit, and finishing your attack string appropriately (not just in theory, but in practice), then they’re ready to move on to practicing it during a real match. A live match introduces a variety of unknown and uncontrollable variables, which adds an element of stress, and divides your focus into several different areas. In training mode, your focus is ENTIRELY on your execution, so it’s easier to cement that into muscle memory before attempting it in a match.

I feel like this method of training is more prone to better results. Sort of like teaching a kid how to swim in shallow water before throwing them into the deep end of the pool, or having them swim in an ocean or lake. I label it as a sort of crawl-walk-run method.

I myself, personally, prefer to practice things during a live match, however I’ve built up enough experience, nerves, and familiarity with the fighting game genre, to be able to include training exercises into a live match. This is something that a vast majority of newer players are unable to do initially, but hopefully with these basic steps, they can eventually grow as a player where they have enough discipline and experience to self-educate, motivate, and train.

Training mode is flat out better for beginners. After a certain point, it’s more efficient to use casuals for practicing some things, but training mode still has uses beyond that as you guys have already mentioned.

What you’re describing (when to attack, their spacing, start up frames, the opponents recovery frames, frame traps, etc.) is kind of branching out of hit confirm into footsies, poking, and keeping up pressure. I don’t think it’s a good idea to try to improve in a lot of areas at once - kind of slows the process down.

Also, while learning spacing is indeed a pain, training mode has nice visual cues to help on the ground (the training stages anyway.)

Well, for me, the hardest part about learning to hit confirm was simply landing a stubby jab/short on a moving target, and then instantly switching my attention to performing the hit-confirm combo I’d worked on. The act of choosing to block/follow through wasn’t really something I felt the need to practice at any point.

I doubt that the OP is trying to learn how to practice quickly switching his combo ending, but rather how he can practice landing combos that don’t start with a slow/unsafe attack (the point of a hit-confirm). This in my view can’t really be done in training mode.

That said, I could be completely wrong about this if I just didn’t have the same kinds of difficulties as other people.

i agree with all arguments. i do see where Uroboric is coming from. When i started out i could do most combos, hit comfirms etc… in training mode but failed horribly during matches. I had to concentrate on other things to be able to add them into my game. However i still do feel training mode is very important from the start for all the reasons mentioned above. Even though it might be hard landing combos, the practice from training mode is still improving your dexterity

dude, don’t focus on training, play real games brother

Well, with hit confirming, it also depends on the player and character. Some people just have better reactions while some characters have longer hit confirms. I have bad reactions and my characters usually have shorter hit confirm windows. So training mode helped me a lot in this department.

Hit confirms can be made easier but you’re going to have to figure out those hit confirms yourself. What I mean by this is that start putting assists in your combos/hit confirms. An example would be like if you were playing Task/Ammy (Task has easy hitconfirms, just giving an example…). Let’s say you go for a dash in c.L-M, s.H confirm. If that confirm is too hard, add in by calling Ammy’s cold star assist after the s.H. Rather, hit s.H and Ammy assist at the same time. After that, do a qcf+L to shoot a legion arrow. This situation you have here is an easy hit confirm. If they block this string, the combo will still be safe since Ammy keeps it safe. If it hits, you’ll be able to combo after the arrow because Ammy’s coldstar still keeps them locked in. Just figure out how your team can use these kinds of tactics to be able to hit confirm easier.

To keep it simple, keep hitting the combo until it works, you never knew when your opponent might let go of block or try to chicken block your shit. Go in with the mindset that even if they’re blocking, keep the combo going with the assist. You never know, its Marvel.

How I practice hit confirms on ssf4 cause I main bison. I but the dummy on the easiest difficulty, once you do it about 2 or 3 times in a row go up a difficulty until you can do it at the highest, then you can kinda relax a little more when you play online

And it can be done in training, I just don’t like the CPU just stand there, I make fight me 2 (doesn’t feel nothing like online but it does help)

A valid concern. I never said that practicing this in training mode would ever be 100% effective in a live match, but it’ll get you started. After all, if you don’t understand why doing stubby shorts and jabs is important to your game, or even how to do it, it’s going to be more difficult to develop that skill while playing for reals. Think of it as a preparation for trying to attempt hit confirms in a live match. Of course in Marvel, you can learn quite a LOT of combos and setups, but that game is WAY more combo and mix-up oriented than SF games.

And some new players do have difficulty trying to hit confirm. Most players aren’t aware of how crucial reactions are not just in trying to anti-air a jump in, but for identifying what hit stun and block stun look, feel, and sound like. Personally I don’t think anything can be fully trained in training mode, but it’s a great way to develop specific goals to achieve while you play your matches. Goal-oriented training produces far better results than just sitting there in your underwear grinding out matches without putting much thought or effort into your matches.

I’d appreciate it if you’d stop writing meaningless posts and stop creating threads with poor content.