Slow reactions

any good fighting game for a person with slow reaction time? I been playing ssf4 for some months and I never seem to get better.

Hmmm… maybe try Third Strike? Practice parrying your opponent’s fireballs on reaction, and work your way up to doing the same with fast normals.

the essence of fighting games is that you can react fast enough to counter or attack. You’re in the wrong Genre if you want to play a game but completely take yourself out of the equation on the path to victory. I suggest a lag switch and Black ops. lol. Seriously though, lets play sometime…on PSN, we can practice practice practice…until we Both get better. You’ll find that a lot of times in SSF4 its not about reacting, its about limiting and countering. Put your opponent in a position where you limit his choices then you just have to choose wisely as to what you think he’ll do. Thats the foundation of getting good at any competitive game. Once you figure that out, you realize that reactions are important, but the mindset is moreso. Don’t be down, lets play until we figure it out… :slight_smile:

(S)SFIV is a pretty slow fighting game. Your reactions should improve with experience, anticipation and perseverance. Try your best to work on improving one thing at a time.

For example:

Can’t anti-air on reaction? Put your opponent in a position where he feels the need to jump. Anticipate the jump-in and try to anti-air. You’ll get hit a lot at first but you can persevere if you keep your mind focused. Once you have a good amount of experience anti-airing, it’ll feel natural to you and you won’t even think about anti-airing, you’ll just do it subconsciously.

I have a pretty bad reaction time in my opinion, around 340ms.

Because of perseverance and keeping mental notes, the game (SSFIV and games I don’t play competitively like Third Strike or FPS’s) seem to slow down.

I occasionally have a slideshow that just pops into my head showing me what’s going to happen. Time just seems to stop and I feel psychic and usually end up win the match. I just wish that this would happen in tournaments instead of casuals…

Edit: You should keep in mind that you’re limit by you human capabilities but you shouldn’t let that keep you down. Just having the willpower and being able to believe in yourself can project drastic results.

Do you actually have a reaction time deficiency or is it self-diagnosed?

SSF4 is the perfect game for slow reaction time.

ST/HDR, MVC2, and 3S (parrying is a mother fucker sometimes) require insane reaction time to play at a high level. TVC and CVS2 are slower than the before mentioned games, but still require good, if not great reaction time.

In SSF4, the action is much slower.

Play SSF4 ALOT. That is the cure if you want good reaction time

Another idea is to play MvC2 or some insanely fast paced game for like an hour and go back to SSFIV and you’ll be complaining that the game’s too slow.

Your natural reaction time isn’t really as much of a factor as how well you’ve trained yourself to react to certain cues. Simply playing the game more is going to naturally improve your in game reaction. You should focus on specific things you want to improve your reaction to though.

I used to think red parrying Yun’s jab short strong target combo was beyond my reaction time but now I can do it fairly consistently in matches. It just took a lot of work to get to that point.

some months? nothing skill based can be picked up in just a couple months. how good do you think you’d be at basketball starting from complete noob playing for just a couple months, and consider most of the people your playing against have been playing for a long time. anything thats competitive and skill based takes a lot of practice and a lot of time.

your reactions are slow because you havn’t got the fighting game mindset hardwired into your brain yet. it’ll take some time. don’t stress losing, enjoy yourself, and give it time.

IMO most parrying in 3S is not down to reactions, but more anticipation. especially when parrying normals, and sometimes specials

+1 losing a lot doesn’t prove you’re physically incapable of winning etc

Reflex time is kind of a hazy area to improve, but reaction time you can definitely improve depending what you know to expect in a given situation. If you feel like your reaction time is bad (like I do), you can circumvent it by thinking to yourself “he’s going to do this or this, and I’m going to do this or this in response as soon as I see it,” and you might surprise yourself how quickly you do it. Reflex is performing without thinking, so it’s only natural that before you can beat something on reflex, you think forward to it and learn any way you can to respond to what you know is coming. Knowing what’s coming, while it’s a platitude of sorts, takes time, and mistakes are a part of the experience. If you get discouraged, keep in mind it’s just frames and hitboxes, you’re not actually getting punched in the face for a mistake, so you can keep trying as long as you like.

-1 didn’t actually address the question, apologies for that, but anyway

if u wanna practice your reaction times, go to training mode, record a move of a character and counter it. See if u can do it consistently. This is what ive found very useful and it helped me a lot. I dont know if it will help u but give it a go.

play more different style players.
one of reason of slow reaction is you didn’t know what to do or nervous
you know more playing style you have more confident on situations , the faster reaction you will have.

The difference between bad reaction time and amazing reaction time is only 100ms(150ms for great reactions, 250 for slow). That’s really not the issue. It’s more about anticipation, which takes experience. For example, you see Balrog ultra through your fireball. ZOMG, he’s amazing, right? Well, he probably is good, but he didn’t go from trying to mount an offense to seeing your fireball and ultra’ing through it. He anticipated that you would throw that fireball, dashed forward and buffered the joystick motion for his ultra. This allows him to react to your fireball easier, because he only has to press PPP, and if you didn’t throw the fireball, he just doesn’t press the buttons. You do something else, like jump at him at this time, and he’ll have a much more difficult time reacting to it, because it’s not what he was expecting to happen. If I punish a shoto’s crouching middle kick with sweep, it’s because I know he’s going to c.mk. I’m watching only for that, and possibly a jump. I’m wiggling back and forth, in and out of range and if I see the c.mk, I walk forward and sweep, or if he jumps, I have enough time to dp, but if he were to throw a fireball instead, I’ll probably get hit. If I don’t, I just got lucky and it touched me while I was walking backwards.

Although, I’m sure top players are on the top end as far as reaction time, it really comes down to knowing when to react, what to react to, and how to read your opponent. How quickly you can make a decision is also part of it, but base reaction time, like you see when you take a flash test, isn’t as important. I score in the upper average on those(around 180ms), but there are a lot of people that score slower, and have more experience, that react better to situations in the game.

clay fighter

but seriously, like everyone else said, it’s less about reaction and more about anticipation. just gotta play more and learn the tricks like buffering and option-selecting to increase the odds of the right move coming out at the right time.

If you are too slow for SF4 then you are too slow for most fighting games.

reactions are kind of a corner stone of fighters, and its allot easier offline if you’re playing online.

reactions are kind of a corner stone of fighters, and its allot easier offline if you’re playing online.

play some MvC 2/SF III & then come back to SSFIV.

You can improve nearly anything with practice- that includes reaction time. But as others have said, you can make up for having bad reactions by simply knowing how to act in a given situation and getting in your opponents head to anticipate their actions. And, like anything else, that also takes practice.