snk buttons

ive searched the forum and couldnt find this info anywhere. i know most of you will think im a total newb (and i am) but i must know… how are the buttons layed out for snk fighters on an arcade stick? (kof 11/neogeo)

thx for your time

A, B, C, D, E

A=Light Punch
B=Light Kick
C=Strong Punch
D=Strong Kick
E=Blow Off Attack

donno where the E button is actually located but they are usually in a row I believe but I havent play 11 in arcade…yet.

Neo-Geo SNK games…

_BCD
A

Or…

BCD
A

KoFXI/NeoWave…

ACE
BD

B C D
A E

Kinda like that for Jap arcade setups.

AB E
CD

For USA arcade cabs.

I didn’t think there was a seperate button (E) for the CD attacks.

Only for the newer games.

When I saw it, it was

ACE
BD

Theres also some places where they use the box layout for older SNK games and even a straight line across well:

AC
BD

or

ABCD

That’s incorrect.

Since they moved to Atomiswave they’ve used the box layout:
ACE
BD

If you’ve seen any other layout anywhere for an SNK since they stopped using the Neo Geo MVS they’re wrong and you need to correct them. This is for EVERYTHING SNK-made for the Atomiswave. Hell, this is for everything on the Atomiswave anyway.

Well, with all due respect SK, you’re wrong: Tenka’s layout was different (but granted, it was the only exception and who knows if they’ll only stick to this on Taito type-X2 :confused: )

So to summarize everything :

NeoGeo MVS

line layout
_BCD or ABCD
A

diamond layout
AB
CD

six-button layout (unofficial?)
(could be found sometimes for some older games -mainly samurai spirits- up to SS2 included)
ABE (E=AB)
CDF (F=CD)

Atomiswave

EVERYTHING but SSTenka
ACE
BD

SSTenka
ABC
D_E

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but as far as official layouts go, I’m 99.99% sure I’m not missing anything.

Got me there, there was only one Tenka machine on Okinawa and I never got to see it. And they show the layout in the game itself in the Spirits Select. =/

As for those 6 button ones, I can’t remember seeing any official MVS cabs with 6 buttons, maybe these were unofficial ones with some “creative” wiring?

That’s highly possible. After all, it’s the diamond layout with two more buttons which are just “two-in-one” each. It was not completely stupid since it gave you each slash and kick on a single button (though the diamond layout was perfecty sufficient)

how do people tend to reconfigure these on their home joysticks?

The Giefstick supports both old AND new SNK setups. Just a quick run to the config screen, then a flip of a few switches and I’m good.

i wonder how i would do in a 101 Zangief VS Zangief match marathon against you…

-For 8-button sticks like SK’s it’s a no-brainer since you can directly recreate the right layout, including the line layout

-For 6-buttons, the line layout just becomes
BCD
A
all the other layouts being unchanged

• But obviously for sticks which don’t feature enough buttons to begin with, it’s pretty tricky…

Next time I can chill in an inhabited part of Cali(29 Palms does NOT count), I’ll be down for a Gief-Off. Although I’ve been playing WAY too much Tekken lately I’m sure the Gief in me will come back.