So I've Begun the Project

As the title implies, I just recently (like, 2 hours ago now) started building my controls. I’ve got the sides of the case cut and the slot cut into them for the countersunk wood on which everything will be mounted, (wow, that was a hassle, originally planned on mitring them together but decided not to, the thing is I had already cut the slot all the way across each piece, thanks to some quick thinking on my Dad’s part - they’re his tools afterall- I got it worked out though, guess that’s what I get for changing my plan mid-project) but now I’m stuck. I’ve still got to add another slot on the inside-top edge of the sides for the plexi to sit in, and I nor my Dad can figure out the easiest way to do it. We’ve come up with some ideas, but they’re all pretty ridiculous and impractical.

So what I’ve got is this, 4 pieces of wood in a square, 10x12, with a 1/2"x5/16" slot cut in the inside-top edge all the way around. What I need is an additional 1/8"x1/4" or so slot on top of that for the plexi to sit in.

Excuse my bad MSPainting skills, but it’s something like this:

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do that? I have access to pretty much any tool you can imagine. I would route it out, but I am afraid that I won’t be able to make a guide of any sort that would work considering the width of the wood beyond the little slot is like 1inch. I can’t think of any way I could get a guide to work since it wouldn’t have much to sit on.

Also, I have one other question. I’ve seen in a lot of these the way the cord coming out of the case is dealt with is that is a hole for the cord and then a tiny slit leading up to it from the edge. How does that work exactly? It seems to me like you would just shove it through the little slit up to the hole, or something. But then again, it also seems to me like wood is sort of a hard thing that wouldn’t allow you to just shove something up through there like that.

Thanks a lot,
Dave

The only real solution i see is to use a router, as long as you have the right bits it shouldn’t be a problem, use a straight routering bit, test it out on some scrap pieces of wood to make sure it’s set right. The depth should be easy, the width can be attained either through the actual bit guide, or if thats not the correct size, figure a way to clamp the wood to some type of guide board that your router can follow. Only thing about this method is the router will leave rounded corners, so unless you are prepared to cut your plexi with rounded corners you will need to chisel or otherwise modify your corners to make them square.

The other way to do it, of course, is to add material instaed of take it away. Use some strapping or something to build an inner rim, and just use glue and screws to hold it on.

Looking forward to seeing the final product, TheCave. Wish I could help you out with your dilemma.

The rounded corners I’m prepared to deal with, so that wouldn’t be a big deal. I was just hoping there might be some easier way. Oh well I suppose.

I did think about doing it that way, Kuprin, but ultimately decided against it because I figured it would probably be more hassle than it was worth. And then you’d have an entire component of the case that is just connected to it rather than just being part of the wood, and that seems like it might compromise a little bit of structural integregity down the road. Maybe not since it’d be just that small piece, but who knows. I’m talking to you guys and my primary woodworking advisor (my Dad) is talking to his brother-in-law who used to do a lot of carpentry, so it still yet to be seen how I’ll end up doing it.

Thanks for all the help guys, I will make sure to post some pictures when I get to a point where posting pictures would be a good idea.

Now, about that hole for the cord. Still don’t know quite how that works. I’m probably just overthinking it (chronic bad habit) but if someone could still explain it to me, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Dave

Oh yeah, and don’t be alarmed if I don’t finish this for another month or so. I’m in town visiting my family which is why I have access to my Dad’s table saw and router and everything else that he has. I’m definitely going to try to finish it before this coming Sunday (which is when I leave, right on Easter I know, bad timing) but if I don’t finish before then it won’t be until early May I think before I get a chance to come back and use his tools again. At the very least I’m going to try to finish all the cutting and screwing and stuff so that the only thing left is sanding and painting which I can certainly do without anything fancy. We’ll have to see how it turns out.

I just notched mine out. Drilled a hole the size of the cord, then made the slot leading to it a little bit smaller, so it stays in place. Either that, or you can do a little extra work, drill a hole, and just splice/re-splice the cord.

I wouldn’t worry about the structural integrity of my idea, because the addition would be a rim under the panel, and should only ever be taking significant force in one direction: straight down, towards the wood. Worst case in the other direction is the stick turned upside down, and if you don’t think some good screws will hold that, yer funny.

If you don’t have a router, but do have some stock to cut pieces for my suggestion from, I’d do it that way. Otherwise…lumber’s cheaper than a router, but a router is a good investment if you’re willing to learn how to use it properly.

Oh God no, no no no. No thank you to resplicing the cord. I’ve tried that before and it did not turn out well. I guess I’ll just try to do the notch thing on some scrap wood to see just how thin I can make it.