So whats the best way for a noob to get decent?

Hey guys, I just got this game and was wondering, whats the best way to get good with characters? Should I do missions, play arcade, just train for hours? Or should I look up vids on youtube or just play player matches online?

Pick a character and stick with them no matter what, for at least a month. Learn to block. Learn to be patient. Watch players of higher skill use your character. Have fun. Go and play with your local FGC in person.

You’ll become a threat over time.

Pick Wesker.

The sad part of this post is that it’s actually true.

Well really it’s more that it’s just better to pick high/top tiers when starting out if you want to get better at a game. High tier characters by virtue of being high tier have more viable options allowing you to approach situations from more angles and more quickly learn the strengths and weaknesses of various strategies. It’s especially true if you pick one of the easier high tier characters at first.

So yeah, pick Wesker.

(Doom, Vergil, Taskmaster, Spencer, Wolverine are all good choices starting out too).

The best way to get better is to play someone who can critique your play and get you thinking about it. If you don’t have competition then first do missions just to get a grasp of all the characters and what they can do, then play training until you have your combos (less important) and your movement (more important) down. Once you are consistent if you still don’t have local competition then either play online or play arcade. Don’t think much about what the CPU or online opponents do because it’s usually stupid, but this just gives you a way to practice hit-confirming on a moving target.

Also when training mode gets boring after awhile you could get a friend that plays(offline or player matches for online) and play horse to practice your combos or something like that

Training mode to sharpen execution.

Maintaining calm.

Getting it through your head that throwing ain’t cheap.

Mash harder.

Play, play and play.

Spend at least as much time playing other people as you do in training mode, but note that marvel isn’t very online friendly

master all 3 of your chars bnbs and find out touch of death combos for your team
play with a brain and be methodical, dont go nuts or else u might get blown up by experienced player.
observe tourneys archives, watch what pro players do during their match.
instead of reacting to a mix up, do what you can to PREVENT a mix up from being successful on you
do not stick to 1 formula and expect its gonna work for every match.
u gotta keep adapting to your opponent and play according to match ups.
u also got to think about your early, mid, and late game strategy while you play the match.

Don’t forget about your options.

TACs, Crossover Counters (especially the ones that are invincible),

SnapBacks: people forget about this. If the second guy is hurt bad from getting caught while assisting and you have the point within an inch of their life, snap’em in. You’re taking a crap load of red life away AND if you kill the snap-ee the point is coming back in losing red health too.

Eliminate “this is cheap. Not gonna use it” from your mind. If shit is cheap and helps you win without struggle, do it. Especially if the opponent can’t get around it.

1. Learn how and when to block and understand the “foundations” of every character’s offense. For example, Hawkeye wants to frustrated you with a barrage of projectiles, Hulk wants you to push attacks buttons at stupid times, Vergil wants to cross you up with teleports and Akuma wants to apply pressure carefully with his frame advantage attacks. If you understand how an opponent is going to try and open you up, then it will improve you defense immensely. Eventually, once you understand how every character is going to come at you, that’s when you can learn the best ways of blocking and eventually shutting down these options. I would also recommend learning how to use advancing guard effectively. If you ever go up against a good Hulk player who gets you in the corner, you’ll notice them do a loop consisting of Anti-Air Gamma Charge into a downwards follow-up ( :f::d::df: + :atk: xx :h: ) that pins you down and puts them at a frame advantage. Initially, it may even look like it negates advancing guard as Hulk moves forward. However, if you Advancing Guard after Hulk has landed (and while you’re in block stun) you’ll actually push Hulk back considerably. This gives you breathing room (well not much) to then try and do something.

1.5) Learn what moves are unsafe and how to punish them. For example, almost all teleports are unsafe in the game and learning the best way to counter them is paramount to also having a sound defense. I’ve practice punishing Strider’s Vajra :h: ( when Strider is on point) so that I don’t need to jumpblock it anymore even though the strategy guide says you need to chickenblock (it may have been patched but who knows). I can just groundblock and then usually cr.:l: into a combo (and that’s even with Dormmamu who has a relatively slow cr.:l: ). To test and practice your ability to punish I would recommend setting the training dummy to “ALL GUARD,” and recording the dummy doing a move. The key is to stop recording as the dummy is doing the move. This way, when you play it back the dummy will do the attack and the ALL GUARD option will kick in as fast as possible. You’ll be surprised at how many people you’ll be able to make look stupid because you know how to perfectly counter the only two moves they know with their characters.

1. I agree with Densuo 100% regarding “cheap.” There is no such thing as “cheap,” only “effective.”

2. Don’t mash (or try to block through every situation) as you’ll never train yourself to attack be cognizant of the situation and make good decisions. It takes a long time (something I’m still terrible at) to gain the ability to process everything that is going on fast enough. For example, if your opponent is constantly calling out assists and then teleporting around like a madman, work on focusing on the point and figuring out the best way to counter as the assist can only do the same thing every time. For example, you’ll invariably, run across lots of people who call a projectile assist and then use their point character to confuse you regarding blocking. A lot of times, people will take their point character to the air for this (Zero’s Command Dash, Spencer Wire Grapple, etc.) and have the projectile come at you on the ground. As a Taskmaster player, I’ve just gotten to the point of using a dash into charging start ( :atk::atk: xx :b: + :h: ) to plow through the projectile and change position if I don’t see an opportunity to attack. This is fairly safe and allows me set the situation back to neutral so I can then think of how I’m going to approach the situation. Remember, if you’re blocking, it means you’re already at a disadvantage so don’t voluntarily give your opponent an advantage unless it is the prudent thing to do.

3.5) If you get bodied by a tactic someone is doing to you in a match, go into training mode afterward and use the record options to have the cpu do the cross up to you. Try everything you can think of to neutralize it and then work from there. It took me about 50 matches (I’m slow and dense) to realize I can just charging star through many mix-ups that use projectiles. You’ll be surprised how many offenses breakdown quickly when you understand what the opponent is doing, especially after you’ve practiced neutralizing it for 10-15 mins in training mode.

1. Learn the lingo of the game (i.e. mix-up, cross-up, high-low, overhead, counter, frame advantage, etc.) as it will make it easier to listen to streams and understand what’s going on. Also, I would highly recommend the guide (“bible”) for the game. It really helps immensely, and is an excellent reference material regarding all of these things

2. Execution related things:
    a) Specific motions such as QCF ( :d::df::f: ), HCB ( :f::df::d::db::b:), “SRK motion” ( :f::d::df: ). Being able to do these motions, and other ones fluidly (meaning not pushing or straining yourself) and consistently will make execution regarding other things much easier. I actually will practice combos and will not consider it a successful rep unless all of my inputs (by viewing inputs using training mode) are clean even if I completed the combo. Doing this will train you to do these motions with less effort allowing you to better learn other things.
    b) Hit confirming meaning following what’s occurring on screen. I would highly recommend that you get use to using the “Random guard” option in training mode and getting use to not mindlessly going through the attack patterns. For example, a lot of characters have very unsafe launchers in this game, yet a lot people will just do the :l::m::h::s: chain every chance they get allowing you to punish. Practice following what’s going on the screen so you don’t open yourself up needlessly. You’ll see the top players usually be capable of going into a combo after a single random hit. This isn’t because they have superior physical abilities than anyone else but because they’ve practiced this stuff enough to have it down to muscle memory.
    c) Combo execution and not dropping them. People will tell you that the most important aspect of the game is opening your opponent up but usually the difference between winning and losing a match will come down to who drops combos. It’s a lot harder to win when you have to open your opponent up multiple times and drop multiple combos as opposed to opening them up once and inflicting massive damage because you don’t drop your combos. In fact, you’ll sometimes see top players do complicated combos when a simple one will suffice mainly because they have the complex one down to such rote memory that it is in fact easier than the simpler combo for them.

3. Learn specific match ups and exploit them. For example, I have Dormmamu on my team and If I see that my opponent has Haggar on his or her team, you bet I’m going to try to get the matchup to occur as Dormmamu is excellent against Haggar. However, if my opponent has Dante, then I will do everything in my power to have Taskmaster go up against him as Dante has a sizable advantage on Dormmamu.

4. Have fun! Remember, the vast majority of us aren’t going to be winning majors or getting our names plastered all over the FGC. Winning comes from years of practice and experience which if you’ve started late puts you at a sizable handicap. However, if you focus on getting better, pushing your limits, and having some fun instead of wasting your energy on getting frustrated and demoralizing yourself about how " you’ll never make it big time," you never know where you’ll end up going!

5. Don’t worry about tier lists! If you’re like the vast majority of us, then it doesn’t matter as tier lists generally apply to high level play. Like other people posted, pick characters that mesh well together and work on making it work. If your team has a blatant weakness that you can’t solve, then I would recommend shifting things around. Who knows? Maybe you’ll come up with a team no one thought of that contributes to new tech.

6. Everything else posted in this thread is excellent advice as well!

Best of Luck and I Hope that Helps!