Some Questions about your Childhood and Action Figures

Couple of quick survey questions for you guys:

1.) Did you ever play with action figures as a kid? If yes, which ones did you have and if no, say why not.

2.) How did you play with them? Did you make scenarios etc like say a hostage rescue scene with your GI joes etc. Did you have play sets or if you made use of household appliances, etc like say using your freezer as if its the Cobra Arctic Base and your mother scolding you when she found out you are leave it open for a long time. etc. Describe.

3.) How old were you when you stopped playing with them?

4.) Looking back on it now, what is it about playing with action figures that you liked and are there any hobbies you do now that took the place of playing with action figures or recreate the same feeling?

Thank you. It’s for a little something I’m writing.

LOL. I’ll bite.

1. I only played with GI Joes as a kid. I had no interest in other figurines of other types.

2. I used to make mainly war scenarios and such. Mainly, this would of course only work when you had someone else to play along with. You couldn’t make it look “realistic” trying to blow up a moving vehicle with missiles unless you tossed them towards the stationary object lol. You had to have some hand tied up controlling the missile’s trajectory in slow motion :rofl:

3. I was probably around 9 or 10 when I stopped playing with them. Imagining things using those figures was becomming kind of pointless.

4. What was it about it that I liked? Maybe it was the ‘cool’ factor in knowing you could imitate things blowing up etc if you couldn’t do it IRL? I guess it’s the whole imaginary phase most kids go through.

1. GI JOE. Captain Power, Toybiz X-Men, Spawn, TMNT, Thundercats, Aluminum Foil
  2. Make them fight by jumping on top of each other. And bite the fingers off.
  3. Don’t remember. Once video games came around toys went by the wayside.
  4. Toys are fun. Nothing more complicated than that.

Yes, I did. I had a lot of Transformers, Gobots, Voltron, GI Joe, He-Man, and Robotech toys growing up.

I used to bang them against each other, bury them, while making laser and bomb sounds.

1. I just lost interest and my focus shifted almost exclusively to video games.

I’ve been collecting Transformers for the last 3 years. The first live action movie got me back into the fandom.
[/quote]

I could never figure out Transformers. Always too hard to change. That’s why I could never get into them.

1. Star Trek figures. I only played with figures when friends were over, and they were big into Star Trek.

Also Sky Dancers. Read on.

1. For the Star Trek figures, it was away missions. To vary things up I’d make the characters have sex with each other. I remember saying, muffled, “Beta Zed cuisine” in a scenario involving Data’s face in Troy’s snatch. I also remembering introducing a Jurassic Park dinosaur in the mix. He spoke and was part of the crew.

The Sky Dancers were played with when me and a friend built pillow forts and launched the Sky Dancers at each other like weapons. Those things only LOOK like they were made for little girls; I got CUT by one that day. My father caught us, shook his head, and later that day called me a word that apparently is auto-censored on SRK now (starts with F and rhymes with maggot). True story.

1. 15-ish. I was 17 during the Sky Dancers incident. :rofl:

2. I liked the make-believe, and I think it has partly to do with why I want to write scripts now. Things I do that are like it? Video games, mainly.

Dr. B figures are rare and I wouldn’t give mine up for billions of space dollars.

1. yes, i mainly collected the old marvel characters (like iceman with the clear iceboard), some gi joes, some beastwars, lots of TMNT figures and a lot of terminator 2 toys (i even had the terminator t-800 skin applicator that my t-1000 would tear up with his blade, this one! http://cdn1.ioffer.com/img/1116054000/_i/6773440/1.jpg and he exploded, so many good memories)
    http://robertsplacetobuystuff.net/Arnold_Schwarzenegger_Terminator_2_by_Kenner.jpg that one was cool cause the extra arm had a single blade come out of it, like a middle finger

2. i always played with my neighbours, we always made bases on my bed using hardcover books

3. 12 maybe?

4. and ya i buy some figures here and there, but keep them in packaging

X marks the spot. X-Men. I liked that song. And the spin-off X marks the spot X-Force.

surprisingly my first figure was cable

and totally forgot, i had liek 30 spiderman action figures during the fox spiderman era
i even made a presentation for school using the new york playset http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M1p9pJ4qpV0/SLRhksNo13I/AAAAAAAAAsA/QI-HZPGFjOc/s1600/Imagen%2B045.jpg

1. Started off with Kenner Star Wars, that lasted until 80’s GI Joe appeared, they were quickly overthrown by Transformers. Any toys past that was what I could borrow from friends but it was mostly these three that made me a kid. I played the fuck out of them.

2. Lots of scenarios involved, most included everyone dying but one character. I made a mess every so often but I mostly kept to myself or played with friends.

3. Probably age 13? But I still collect the same toys today. The playing has been severely reduced to constant re-posing of the figures.

4. Just another way to escape into an adventure that didn’t involve going outside and playing sports.

1.) I bought a shit load of Gundams action figures when I was kid (I still have them but most of them are in pieces), Power Rangers Megazords, a bunch of Transformers mostly Beast Wars, and Voltron

2.) I did stuff like made up battles and junk, Astro Delta Megazord vs the Blue Lion Voltron vs Epyon Gundam vs Megatron yielded hours of fun :rofl:

3.) About 13 years old

4.) I guess I liked them because I watched a lot of mecha related stuff when I was a kid, playing Gundam games, Armored Core, and Super Robot Wars really brings the feeling of nostalgia back to me

• 1.) Did you ever play with action figures as a kid? If yes, which ones did you have and if no, say why not.

Living in Japan most of my toy figures were robots. I dont even know what the names were, most were from either live tv action shows or cartoons that i dont remember the name title. I also had an Ultraman figure & a really cool robotic Godzilla that moved. We moved & most of stuff got loss from shipment & got new toys. More traditional toys like Star Wars, He-man, Gi Joe, Transformers & hot wheel cars…

• 2.) How did you play with them? Did you make scenarios etc like say a hostage rescue scene with your GI joes etc. Did you have play sets or if you made use of household appliances, etc like say using your freezer as if its the Cobra Arctic Base and your mother scolding you when she found out you are leave it open for a long time. etc. Describe.*

It was always between the toys i didn’t like vs the toys i like. So the toys that sucked would always try to attack the cooler toys while they defend their base Omega Supreme

• 3.) How old were you when you stopped playing with them?

i was probably about 10 years old when i stop playing them as a kid…As an adult i still play with them haha, i did a couple of random videos to put on youtube when i was bored.

[media=youtube]G6hlwsFMuVE[/media]
[media=youtube]6KpXYnrsmNo&feature=related[/media]

• 4.) Looking back on it now, what is it about playing with action figures that you liked and are there any hobbies you do now that took the place of playing with action figures or recreate the same feeling?*

I usually play toys alone using my crazy imagination as a kid. When my friends were being assholes I had my toys to keep me entertain. I guess video games took its spot & i collect toy figures/statues of things i enjoyed as a kid now.

I never got any action figures, I didnt like toys and only wanted to play video games.

1.) I had Star wars, Transformers (primaraly) and MASK toys. Played the hell out of them all.

2.) Play style = goodies vs baddies, exploration/adventure and rescue missions.

3.) Damn i dont know when secondary school started?

4.) I have bought the odd transformer here or there… for collection / old time sake purposes. Im still fond of transformers. I guess playing video games have taken over as my man hobbie.

1.) Yes. Played with all kinds. Beast Wars, TMNT, Spawn, Street Sharks, Power Rangers, X-men, spider-man, batman, etc…

2.) All Kinds of set-ups. I’m talking from War scenes to making them play football. I had play sets and used house hold shit.

3.) I was 14. Only reason I stopped then is because I acquired the internet at that time. All my free time that would have gone to playing with action figure went straight to the internet.

4.) I honestly don’t know why I played with them. I just did and I liked it. I guess you can see my answer for question 3 for the second part of this question even though it doesn’t really give me the same feeling at all.

I was the king of action figures…Had a huge toybox…I had all the X-Men, Street Fighters, Spawn, Gargoyles, Mario, Darkstalkers, you name it…My favorite was the X-men toys…

If it’ll help out, here goes.

1. Mainly Ninja Turtles and Star Wars action figures. A few others here and there but these two made up the bulk of my collection.

2. I made intricate scenarios where all kinds of crap was going on. I usually only had the figures, no play sets or anything like that. I’d use household items to sub in for buildings, machines, cars, etc. Imagination > money.

3. Hmmm. 11-12? I’m not fully sure to be honest.

4. It was the fact that I could take control of my favourite characters and make something of my own. My own stories and scenarios, my own twists on their lives. I’d often make up my own characters for everything (ie. a Star Wars character who just plain doesn’t exist but in my scenarios he’d be right there fighting with Luke and Han).

Nothing will ever recreate those feelings because that was a completely different life. A much, much better one now that I think about it. The only one that comes close is music where I’m able to make my own and is completely original. Even so, its not the same fun as being a kid.

My greatest toy was a Robotech SDF1. It was huge, it had detachable vessel ‘arms,’ hidden compartments for the aircraft, and probably enough articulation and detail to be a display model. That toy was basically a really uncomfortable teddy bear to me. I had some minor TMNT and Transformers but nothing worth bragging about. TFs/robots were the toys I was after, but being a relatively poor kid I never got what I wanted outside of birthday presents. I was salty as hell when kids at school showed off their brand new TF like they were a fresh pair of kicks.

My second main toy were Legos, and basically whatever I saw on TV, I made them. Airplanes, robots whatever. There was this cartoon called Air Raiders, where everything was airborne and I think the toys were held up by string. My room had a walk-in closet, with poles for hangers on opposite sides of the closet. I turned that entire closet into an airborne Lego fortress, with bases and air tanks or whatever held up with, like dental floss I think (I clamped the string down between two locked Legos) tied around the poles. My greatest creation, but I think my brother ran into them one day and tore it all down, asshole.

I wanna say that getting into video games, and my (incredibly brief) fascination with anime, killed my interest in toys after that. If I ever get kids they’re getting Lego/Duplo so they can get creative, instead of videogames and etc telling them what to like all the time.

1-

Of course. Mostly with my brothers and with neighborhood friends.

My choice of poison were The Transformers. That toy, cartoon and comic series changed who I am today, without a doubt. When I was four years old, I would make the unmistakable transforming sound and curl up into a ball or something. Someone at my mother’s work asked if I was autistic once, when I did that.

TMNT, Ghostbusters and the occasional He-Man or G.I. Joe were always in order, too, but I covetted my robots, Madballs, My Pet Monster and my Legos.

2- I would use trees as a favored habitat to play with them. It also helped immensely that my friends were just as down as I was to play and that the characters were always depicted as being able to fly. Genious on Marvel’s part to write that in, for kids playing.

3- I still play with toys. I’ve been actively collecting Transformers since 1997, back when eBay sucked and collectable stores still rocked. Michael Bay and GM can kiss my ass. I fell asleep durring both movies. The end battle scenes were a visual disaster. I still haven’t seen the end of the 2nd new movie.

On an interesting note, I was seconds away from owning a genuine animation cell from the movie, of none other than Unicron. I don’t even want to get into that mess. I still have a hard time watching the movie (1986), but it’s getting better.

Anyone remember wacky wall walkers? Cereal box sticky octopus toys that walked down walls…

I still have a few Show-Biz Pizza tolkens and one of the spaceships from the rides resides in a friends back yard under a tarp. It was found late at night durring my high school years, when we were playing automotive hide and seek, in the back of some industrial buildings by a dumpster, with a free sign on it. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing at first. We used to ride in it at the local Show-Biz. My cousin’s gum was still under the edge of the fin.

1. All different types: GI Joes, thundercats, C.O.P.S, Power Rangers, Superhuman Samurai Cyber Squad, first couple Spawn lines, transformers, and others I forget

2. Combine them all into 1 large apocalyptic setting story with each toy getting a new name inside the setting. The story ripped off everything. Also a bit of GI Joe versus Mortal Kobat versus Street Fighter. Also fantasy GI Joe wrestling league with an old WWF ring.

3. Hmm, was around when I started Junior High.

4. Well, if I want the creating a fantasy setting story thing, I can just play/dm some Pen and Paper RPG.