Sound card troubles

So yeah, I’ve got this old sound blaster audigy 2 that I’ve been using forever. Oddly enough, it’s been around for 4 different machines. Unfortunately, it’s giving me trouble since my newest build about 4 months ago. I’ve been ignoring it for a while now, but I’ve decided I need to fix the problem. I’m hearing a crackling/popping noise all the time. It only gets worse when audio is actually playing through my speakers.

I don’t have a surround sound setup. I’m doing the 2.1 thing right now because that’s all I need. I’ve tried taking the card out, wiping the inputs and putting it back into different PCI slots. I’ve updated my P5K WS mobo bios as well as disabled the onboard audio to keep from having any conflicts. Updating the drivers for the sound card only make the noises unbearably loud, so I’ve decided to stick with the drivers that came with the sound card disc. There are no other wires touching the sound card in the case either. I even went as far as putting the sound card back into my old machine and I did not hear the noises at all. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to fix this?

ONEZ

I dunno if this will help but did you try messing around switching between 16-24 bit and 48000-96000 Hz, in the control panel? I used to have a bad sound problem in certain emulators where static sound would be apparent. So I messed around with Hz and it worked. Google helped me out on that one. What operating system are you running? Well if you have a Asus p5k ws, maybe you should just stick to onboard.

The key piece of information is that in your old machine it doesn’t occur.

Have you tried it in a different slot?

In your old machine are you using the same speakers?

It could be you need to adjust your pci latency. I had a crackling audio issue on certain games and adjusting the latency using a tool fixed it.

The settings are not intuitive so read up on settings before you start changing things.

Oh, and don’t forget to do a system restore snapshot beforehand.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=951

nnguyen90 I’m running windows XP. jcasetnl, I am using the same speakers and I already said I used different slots in my original post. I’m not going to change the latency since it tends to mess up other shit.

ONEZ

I had a similar problem until I disabled the system speaker in Windows.