Spacing.

Hey guys,
So I’ve recently switched back to Gen because he fits my needs moreso then Honda.
This being said, I haven’t really practiced footsies and my spacing with Gen for a good amount of time.

So my questions stand.

1. What can I do to practice my spacing and footsies with a non-projectile character, especially with a character who REALLY needs it?
  2. How can I improve my spacing and footsies with a non-projectile character?

Thanks in advance.

Knowing the effective ranges of your moves is a good place to start. Taking into consideration speed, ranges, and active frames figure out which ones are good pokes[generally fast], AAs[generally…hit…air], whiff punishes[generally far], etc. and then try to get into those spaces. Get a good feel for your walk speed/dashs since that’ll help you move around better[does gen change speed when he changes stances? I know he changes jump arcs. This could all be verrrrry tricky brotha]

Doesn’t ryu have a quote like this? ‘Its not enough to know your moves, you have to know how to use them too?’ Capcom should binder up all his win quotes and package it as a ‘from zero to hobo in 4 easy steps. chapter 1: beating sheng long and you…’

Learn your characters pokes and the ranges of your pokes.

http://www.option-select.com/strategy/char/?c=19

I can’t stress the importance of that^^.

To me spacing is just recognizing the area that puts your character at the most advantage against your opponents character and trying to maintain that space. You don’t need fireballs to do that. It’s more something practiced passively because if you’re playing correctly, spacing should always be a concern of yours. Even if you’re right in front of someone, you should be asking yourself if that is a situation spacially that puts your character at an advantage and if it isn’t, you try to change the spacing so that it is.

Of course, you won’t know what is a good position to have spacially without extensive character and matchup knowledge. Challenge yourself to understand the most effective ranges of every characters tools. To start though, watching videos of top Gen players and paying special attention to the ranges they like to be in against diff characters will help a lot.

Yes, he is faster in Crane form, while he has more range on Focus Attacks in Mantis Stance. Also different frame advantages in different stances, but I don’t remember.

Is there anything else I should be looking for other then range? I know that Mike Ross looks at games where top players lose, and tries to see what they do wrong.

This primarily comes from a full understanding of your character’s normal and special moves. Hell, just run through the game and experiment with your normal moves. Just by looking at its speed and range, you can get an idea for how Gen is able to control and dominate space. Look at his jump-arc, and how his jump attacks are able to cross-up and not cross-up. You can use this to great effect in your offense, since his jump is so quick and travels in a short arc, you’re able to catch people off guard if they’re not ready for it.

You have to remember that a “fireball” is just a temporary extension of character’s attack range. It’s part of that character’s footsies as well. The same goes for your normal moves, such as the hand slap, and wall dives.

This isn’t something you’re going to learn by watching a tutorial guide, you’re going to have to put in serious work in your character, either in training mode or in live matches, to get a strong feel for your character. This means learning which normals and specials to use, why you’re using it, how effectively you’re using it, and more importantly, how risky that move is.

Yeah for sure. I didn’t mean to imply that videos are for learning spacing specifically, because really I can’t think of any aspect of SF that you can’t train through watching videos but in the case of learning spacing its a very important method. Like most people have mentioned already, its pretty difficult to maintain proper spacing until you are familiar with every characters tools, and watching videos can help speed up gathering that kind of knowledge.

And just a little caveat; spacing is one of the more difficult concepts to learn in SF imo. It’s not very concrete and requires lots of experience and knowledge, so don’t beat yourself up if you feel like you aren’t getting it right away.

It’s also important to know your opponent’s options at the different ranges. Most of that will come with matchup experience. For example, if you notice that your opponent is moving backward at a certain point in a match and you know his character, you might realize that he is trying to create an advantageous situation for himself. So you do something to break that spacing. Even though your character doesn’t directly gain anything from it, you take away one of your opponent’s options. I’ve noticed when some intermediate players can’t understand why they lose certain matches it’s often because they didn’t understand the spacing from their opponent’s POV.