SpringFest - New York City, New York - Saturday March 15, 2008

**READ THIS POST, SECOND POST, AND THEN CHECK THE LAST POSTS IN THIS THREAD FOR INFORMATION.

FAQ AT END OF SECOND POST!

REGISTER AND SEED DETAILS AFTER FAQ

As every year, the first Saturday of Spring Break at Polytechnic University will be SpringFest. For directions go here: http://www.poly.edu/directions/

Think of this event as a mini-anime convention, to which I’m adding fighting game tournaments.

The whole anime convention will be free, as in non-profit, with prizes. You can **dress up **if you want. It would be nice if not everyone would dress up as shinigame from Bleach this year.

Tournaments are 5$ each per game, but it will all be given back to the winners 70/20/10, unless there are less than 10 entrants, for which then the prize distribution percent of total entries will be 70% to first place and 30% for second place.

So if you enter one tournament it’s 5$, to enter two tournaments it’s 10$, for three it’s 15$, and for all it’s 20$.

I would love to run a tournament for every single fighting game. Aside from the common ones, I also play Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, Melty Blood, Fate, etc, but I only have a limited amount of space, limited amount of hours, and a limited amount of equipment, with 0$ funding. I can be lazy and not care and only run Marvel, but being the cool community supporting person that I am I’m going to uphold the Polytech student tradition of not having a life and fit in four tournaments into 11am-7pm.

Standard winners/losers brackets. All entrants get two points, lose and you lose a point, lose both points and you’re out. Bracket assignments will be random, except with a check to prevent a person from entering the tournament and losing to the same person twice (doesn’t apply to WF, LF, and GF).

R1=1st bracket matches, R2=2nd, etc. W=winners’ side bracket and L=losers’ side bracket.
1/1 means 3 max rounds and 2/3 means 9 max rounds. That’s 3 times as long potentially and there’s just not that much time to have everything 2/3.

Based on requests, these four games are:
Marvel vs Capcom 2 DC
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike PS2
Guilty Gear Accent Core PS2
Capcom vs Snk 2 PS2

Marvel vs Capcom 2 should start at 11am, meaning you should be waiting for your match at 10:59am already. It has to be 2/3 sets due to some getting lucky snaps at start of round.

3s will start after Mvc2 and is therefore dependent on how many people enter marvel, but it will not start before 12pm. Winners bracket is 2/3 sets and losers is 1/1 set, where each set is 2/3 rounds.

GGAC will be after 3S. I estimate it starting not earlier than 2:30. Winners bracket is 2/3 sets and losers is 1/1 set, where each set is 2/3 rounds.

CvS2 will start not earlier than 4:30. CvS2 is 1/1 set due to the length of the matches. May change to 2/3 if extra time remains.

Grand Finals will be after CvS2 is done, except for Marvel which will be immediately after brackets decide grand finalists. For Marvel it may be FT3 or FT4 depending on time left. 3S and GGAC may be FT3 or FT4 sets depending on time left, most likely FT3 though. CvS2 may be FT2 or FT3 sets depending on time left.

**Please be advised that if the tournament is running short on time, 2/3 sets may be changed to 1/1 and if the tournament is ahead of time then 1/1 may be changed to 2/3. **The players will be notified of this change before their match starts, so it’s not like you will be playing and I’ll say you lost 1 set and it’s 1/1 instead of 2/3 now.

If your game is not listed here that just means I’m not running a tournament for it, although be advised that **there will be stations set up for casuals **at which you can request **ANY game **to be played.

Highly recommend bringing your own stick/controller/etc.
No program pads, no special mapping (no mapping multiple moves to one button), standard rules. Some of our controllers are messed up, don’t rely on them.

Keep an eye on all of your stuff and don’t leave it unattended unless you have your friend watching.
This should be common sense but some need reminders.

There will also be tight security. If you get caught doing something bad such as stealing, violence, shown weapons, etc, the security guards may detain you for a police officer to handle. If I see some kind of shit like that I will take care of it Fresh Prince of Bel Air style. So anyways, try to play nice and show some class. Hype and trash-talking (also known as SRK hate) is part of gaming, especially marvel, but if you take it over the limit then I will give you a warning at first. Next time you’re getting kicked out. In the end, remember that it’s a fighting game and not a real fight.

This post will be edited with game info and other rules while the next post will be entrant information.
Next thing I will add is places nearby to eat.

There is a guest limit in Poly, when is basically how many guests are allowed to be signed in. The guards will have the list from here. So just show them some ID and they will match your first and last name and let you in. Also registeration is 10am-11am. If you are coming in for CvS2 only I guess I can make an exception and register you later like somewhere between 4 and 5pm, but that complicates things. Grand Finals will start at 6pm unless CvS2 is not done yet.

RH116 IS MINE. NO ONE ELSE CAN BE THERE EXCEPT PART OF MY FOUR TOURNAMENTS MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA :slight_smile:
Going to be real tight in there. Hopefully we won’t have much more people watching than entering tournaments.

**REPEATING FOR CLARITY:
THIS IS NOT JUST A MvC2, 3S, GGAC, AND CvS2 TOURNAMENT. THERE WILL BE MANY OTHER TOURNAMENTS SUCH AS VIDEO GAMES (BRAWL, DDR), CARD (MAGIC THE GATHERING), ETC. ALSO CASUALS, ANIME SHOWINGS, ETC, FREE FREE FREE !!!1111oneone over9000!!!

Everyone must sign in at the MAIN LOBBY (entrance from Jay Street). Ask for a visitors pass so the guards don’t bug you.

PASWEB.INFO.**

I will do registeration 10am-11am Saturday.
The line might get very long, so I recommend coming in between 10am and 10:15am because registeration will end at 11am.
You must register in that time even if your game is later in the day, except for CvS2 players which can come in at between 4pm and 4:30pm.

Here is a list of people with priority Saturday by nickname, if no nickname then by first name:

MvC2
Alzarath
Phocus
Backfire
The Mad Titan
Gemdoom
Sage
RushedDown
icemanual
Adaptiveone

3S
sergio.
Antishoto
bmoney
Boris
Blacksoda
Epy0nkaru
Lava Heart
Frantastic
Frankdatank
Greek
Iken
Iloveu
Kofiend
Capcomkilla
Maverick
Kevin
Therapist
waratteirudakara
MarlinPie
Fat Rooster
Mikey
min
Sage
Hahano
icemanual
Vizard
smokeysm
Tim

GGAC
Alzarath
bmoney
UppercutSpammer
Phrekwenci
LightspeedTaco
Frankdatank
Anakron
Greek
Iloveu
Sanchez
Biscuits
Therapist
MarlinPie
Sage
Hahano
RIL
Cabinet Smasher
Igrantwishes
Tim

CvS2
Snake
Blacksoda
Ernest
Kourin-chan
min
Sage
Adaptiveone
Torabisu

The following didn’t provide First Name, Last Name, or Games Entering to my knowledge and should reply in this thread (only PM if you want your name to be private):

helgen x
Killerwatt
MYK
quotes

Also to the many who told me I’m from SRK and save me a spot, I have no idea who you are.

To other that say they’ll come, I still don’t know who you are.

Also, when registering on Saturday, you will be called by your first and last name if no nickname is provided. If you provide a nickname then you will be called by your nickname and the first letter of your first and last name. Also, no profanity in the nick names etc.

FAQ!!!

1. Do I need a photo ID?
    The student organizations have no control over if the guards choose to check IDs, if you have one, bring it to be on the safe side. Another reason is explained in the next question.

2. What’s this pre-register thing I been hearing about, can’t I just come in later?
    Two reasons:
    First, games have a 32 player max limit (unlikely to extend). If you and someone else want to register, and he didn’t pre-register but you did, that means you get the spot and he doesn’t. 3S and GG are near full and many people show up last second without any notification.
    Second, events have guest limits. If security guards say that it’s near limit, then no one else can come in. The exception is the list of names that I have. Photo ID to help prove identity.

3. Yo Elder… something … something … I need help.
    Contact any of the staff at the event or the security guards and tell them the situation or to contact the Springfest staff. If they can’t resolve it ask them to get me as a last resort.

4. So I’m here… what do I do?
    If you want to enter my tournaments, go to RH116 and register there.
    If you want to register for Brawl, Melee, or DDR go to the cafeteria.
    There are many other events such as casuals in various games, not just video games. Also anime events and the like. If something is unclear ask the staff.

5. So the more people enter your tournament the more money I can win?
    Yes, and I’m probably going to add prizes to these tournament in addition to the money that the winners receive which will be 100% of the entry fee.
    This is also supposed to be for fun, so try to relax and have fun.

6. Yo Elder, FT10 for $1000.
    First, no gambling in Polytechnic University. If you want to have money matches with your friends then you can just play casuals with your friend there and then you can handle the money part outside the college.
    Second, it’s against my religion to take other peoples money :wgrin:.
    Third, I’ll be busy. No breaks.

7. My name isn’t on that list. So…
    I only list name if you provide no nick name. If your nick name or SRK account is not there then it is because you probably didn’t send the proper information to me: First Name, Nick Name, Last Name, Games Entering.
    If your name isn’t on the list you can still pre-register, which will remain open until 9:55am Saturday. You don’t have to pre-register to enter any tournament, but see question 2 for more information why you should pre-register.

8. **I can’t possibly see why it’ll take so long for each tourney. **
    There are many factors involved. I can also get rid of double elimination and make all games only one set, but that would not be cool. I would rather have standard rounds and 2/3 sets. The only reason to change games to 1/1 sets is due to time constraints.

9. Can you keep my name private?
    I have no intention of disclosing any information other then nick name for some identification.

REGISTERING STEPS

1. Enter RH116
  2. Come to the register desk.
  3. Name game entering.
  4. Pay $5.
  5. Print your first name, last name, nickname, and then sign your name on the sheet.
  6. Receive game ticket (and number).
    DO NOT LOSE IT, DAMAGE IT, OR GIVE IT TO ANYONE (EXCEPT ME, UNLIKELY).
  7. If entering more than one game go back to step 4.

Everyone starts at winners bracket, random seed, which is Round 1.
Players will be called by their Ticket Number, which they must show before EVERY opponent.
Then some proceed to winners Round 2, others to losers Round 2.
Unlike standard bracket, these matches will once again be randomly seeded from pool.
Then players once again must show their Ticket and then some will proceed to the winners Round 3 while others to the losers Round 3.

If number in pool is odd, one person won’t have an opponent and get a free win. This is not allowed more than once.

Warning: If you were first eliminated by someone and sent to losers and then in losers you are matched up against the same person, it is your responsibility to inform me and I will try to randomize so this doesn’t occur. I don’t want anyone coming to this tournament and getting knocked out twice by the same person, unless it’s finals.

pretty cool! i request cvs2 n 3s

If someone could post a link about this on dustloop that would be great.

GG:AC and MvC2

Posted on dustloop.

mvc2!!!

I’ll go for 3s, and GG:AC if I’m not worthless at it around the time of the tournament.

It’s also held same day as FR so that too many people don’t enter.

Managing hundreds of people is a pain, even when you write a computer program to do it for you.

Anyways, the best players will be going to FR, so this tournament is to get the people out that usually aren’t fans of traveling.

This year might have to do late fee penalty because having some people say they’ll come and then like a couple hundred show up a couple hours later is a pain.

It would be nice if they could post here. This will help determine equipment required and set up ahead of time.

During Final Round. Thanks a lot. :sad:

Sounds great.

Another request for GG! Oh, and how could I forget? KoF XI.

And if there’s time, teams for GG.

My old school… bastards! Wanna request CvS2 and VF5!! If you add in VF5 I’ll see who I can get to drop by out of VF forums. There’s a couple locals I already know aren’t traveling anywhere else to play that day.

My college assigns so much work that that’s pretty much the only free time. Week after first projects will be due and some exams.

Don’t know about VF5. Depends on equipment and requests.

Teams are highly unlikely.

Thing is, originally it was supposed to be just like an anime con, but with some games. I said that would be gay unless they at least get some hot chicks. Then I suggested tournament so they decided free tournament entry. Then I’m like… WTF. How the fuck can you have a tournament without a REAL prize!!! How is that different from casuals?

So yea, there will still be prizes, but since people are paying to enter the tournaments in addition to the prizes the winners make money as well. Money will probably be split standard 70-20-10 with additional prizes to the top 5. Not set in stone yet though.

The clubs are leaning towards 90% of equip for casuals and 10% for tournaments. So my options are limited with only 4-5 TVs + game stations and 10am-10pm. So unless some of the games have a low turn out, there will be a tournament for probably only 6 games. This also depends on how people arrive. Last year all the GG players arrived after GG finished. That’s only at this point though. I trying to get more equip. I’ll probably have more equip. I’m a persuasive character. I just need to convince them that it’s not all about casuals and that tournaments are awesome.

If we don’t have VF5 or something someone maybe can bring it in, but I will probably have access to everything before March except maybe Brawl, since that’s coming out a week before the tournament (US release).

Also Brawl is probably going to have over 100 entrants.

At this point I can guarantee Brawl, GGAC, and 3S.

I’m probably going to run the games with the least requests close to 10am and the more popular a little later on.

The times for each game will be stated/added in March, or earlier, depending on how organized this thing gets, after which requests are turned into entrant registration (you can edit your post or PM me to alter data). I’m thinking of making people make SRK accounts to register so entrants are “unique.” People showing up real late really messes things up for competition.

+1 for cvs2

also you should consider changing the date cuz many people will be at FR(I am trying to go too…)

How’s Sunday?

FR is on a sunday as well.

sat sun wont make a diff for the fr crowd. just stick to sat imo

If there is any kind of interest for VF5 i can bring in a 360 and a game. As long as you guys provide a TV and everybody brings their own sticks (or at least 1 extra one).

ac and 3s please, i wont enter cvs2 and st but ill play those too

i’m down for this…one more for cvs2 and possibly marvel…just to have something else to do outside of cvs2

Shit, might as well ask for Arcana as well!