SRK Front Page, and the Community's Lack of Knowledge

Ok, here’s the article. It’s a little long, but the whole point is to flesh out a very basic idea so I didn’t see the point it keeping it brief.

Let me know what you think/if you like it. I have an idea for a follow-up article if there’s a positive response.

(I really need to do something about this damn computer.)

Excuse me if the following lacks more coherence than usual. I feel extremely tired suddenly.

Ha. Now I can’t stop imagining Poison with a Stand that activates when she unzips her fly.

“Ze Torappu! Time is frozen!”

The AE-forum is probably best, even if it is hive of scum and villainy and the same question being asked over and over again. If you’re worried about potentially getting infracted because it seems off-topic/doesn’t seem on-topic enough, than try to contact one or more of the mods first.

That’s not really most people’s fault considering how poorly Sega has done at promoting that game (outside of Japan). Hell, if it wasn’t for Reno being pretty much the sole source of VF5 videos in the media section, then I wouldn’t know that game was out yet/existed.

Not that Virtua Fighter has ever gotten the love it deserves (on SRK), but Sega certainly hasn’t been helping on that front.

Okay, this may just be horrible bias because I’ve been the (lazy) mod of the fanfiction section for the past, like, decade, but I have to call bullshit here. Stuff like this just makes you come off like a crotchety old man when you would otherwise have a point.

(I’m also probably biased because most of the people that contribute to that [massive] thread have probably contributed to this site as a whole more than most non-players, Sano especially. That and TiamatRoar making a guide dedicated only to the story just allows you to just point people there if you don’t want to deal with it.)

Even if something is only on the periphery of the game, people should expect others to ask questions about it even if it’s something that doesn’t really matter. People should be able to ask questions about those things (within reason) without people jumping down their throats because it’s a “stupid question” or “too nerdy” or whatever; people shouldn’t obsess over them to the exclusion of actually substantive stuff though, which I think is the ultimate problem here.

I really don’t think that as many people would care about the Kayo Police threads (as much) if they didn’t get so many hits and basically shift focus away from other things. The shifting focus part being the problem here, especially since part of that shifting focus is some people paying attention to and posting in those threads solely to hate on it. If the people who weren’t interested in Kayo Police at all didn’t devote any energy to hating her or constantly making “hilarious” (read: unfunny) jokes about how she’s a “trap” or a “tranny” or whatever, those threads would literally probably only be half as popular as they are.

(I say “probably” because I couldn’t care less about those threads and thus haven’t read any of them. I’ve always found threads about people’s sexuality tasteless in most instances.)

Saying that such and such topic isn’t “real” enough or whatever does nothing to actually create more focus on whatever is “real”; it only makes you look like a snob or hipster and breeds defensiveness, which just makes people who would/will eventually lose interest stick around longer because they feel like they have to defend themselves.

Just think of it like Field of Dreams in reverse if it really bothers you: Don’t help them build it; they’ll go away…eventually.

Why do you think we went out of our way to create that featured-header? Due to the feedback, from people like you, who didn’t want to contribute because of the speed at which your hard work gets burried. You can bet your ass that if you are making worthwhile content, it will appear in that box up top. That is, again, why we put it there in the first place.

All i get out of this is since someone was put in charge, this front page sucks and is just a copy paste job from eventhubs, if i wanted to read that bubble gum shit i would just go to eventhubs.

Everyone can have an opinion on Poison’s penis (or lack thereof).

*Not *everyone can talk about the pros and cons of specific matchups.

It is what it is.

Ok, so I have an idea that might address your concern.

Archiving stuff is awesome, but if you want something considered for the frontpage, submitting a tip is the best way. srktips(at)gmail(dot)com is the address.

How does that work if it’s not on the SRK frontpage…

so your saying that you don’t just copy other news sites?

but rather idiot’s on SRK submit tips to you to where to find the stupid shit that is already on other sites?

HAV, why do you white out your font at specific sections?

Jack Mago’s style? They play very differently from what I was watching. Also correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t his team in the 5 on 5 that took on Daigo’s team I remember he beat Mago in the Fei mirror it could have been someone else.

Sent from iPhone using Garganta Talk

I never touch the colors on here. SRK is fucking weird sometimes.

This is evolution. The days of real talk are over. Remember when Megatron got fucked and had to be recreated as Galvatron? During that overlapping period there was no real focus, no mission, just a lot of noise and chaos.

Once the casual-ness drops off, the real talk will return, because the real talk comes from fighting spirit and that’s what keeps the fiends going. Like it did in the past. Until then, I will hide in the shadows and only come back when SRK feels like SRK again.

Peace.

I guess the issues raised by the OP are highlighted by examining the difference between SRK and a sports site.

In a sports site, theres real journalism dedicated to summing up events, results, analysis, interviews and so forth. Theres an organised effort to provide comprehensive information on all the teams in the league, and all the famous players etc.

SRK is more like a games forum/site. It doesnt have the focus or organisation to be complete in that way (does its audience even want it?). It focuses mostly on news about the games themselves.

Does SRK make money? Does it have actual staff or just hobbyists? I dont know anything about the internals of this site, someone enlighten me.

Looks at the ads on the front page, the popup Dr Pepper commercial on the bottom and the whole bar … Yeeeah. I guess they are making some profit. Who wouldn’t take advantage of a site with 50k members and a (only guessing) decent amount of daily hits.

Well, in that case I guess its theoretically possible for them to hire writers that do sports journalism on the competitive scene. But would visitors really care about such content? Can FGs attract the same sort of “esport” interest that SC2 leagues get, or that of real sports?

Personally, whilst I like watching the occasional match video, Im far more interested in content that directly affects me (news, tips, tutorials, etc.) rather than fandom for star players. But thats just me. (i dont care about sports either.)

Hell I’d love to help the front page!

GIMME A CHANCE BOSS I CAN DO THIS

Problem is there is simply not enough money in the fighting game community for stuff like hiring sports writers. That’s what most of this topic actually comes down to; I think the biggest win in a fighting game is 50K (Fanatiq v. Toan) with all side bets considered.

Elsewhere; http://www.geek.com/articles/games/valve-will-unveil-dota-2-in-million-dollar-tourney-2011082/

The Fighting game scene is blooming; EVO (One of the world’s greatest fighting game tours, I consider SBO the other) number of entrants and stream viewers proves it. However, it seems that we have entered the “player/game of the month”, “player A did this last weekend while eating at a McDonalds”, “Fighting Game gossip”, “Videos of people humming the SF theme” and “OMG GUYS IS POISON A TRANNY OR NOT COS I WANNA MARRY HER” fad before we even got our scene largely accepted and set.

However, I do not think it is the playerbase’s fault.I don’t think it is the casual players’ fault. Not the hardcore players’ fault either. Casual players (in all sorts of tours) are the backbone of a scene’s “economy”, meaning that they bring in the most cash. Hardcore players are the backbone of the community, most of them are always ready to offer insight, info and even show a player that wants to get better a thing or two. There are the occasional grumpy grandpa’s, but they too will do their thing in order to help, eventually. After some thought I realised that the FGC has not yet found its balance; things are going too fast with the popularity and the whole lot of games offered that even those up top might be baffled as well. Companies such as Capcom and Namco are baffled too; they enjoy the popularity their games are gaining but they are scared to make moves that would anger the playerbase, hence the AE balance patch.

What needs to be done is to push forward, rather than standing still. I have some ideas (mostly derived out of my uni books), but I reckon that one person just posting on some forums doesn’t hold much credibility ( :smiley: ). Capcom, Namco, SRK, you name it, must back their playerbase better, because so far it only seems they are following the tours and make the games just for that extra buck, rather than thinking of elevating the stage of things around here. SRK (since it happens to be the world’s leading FGC) must go back to being an FGC, rather than being a Fighting Game Tabloid (Dunno what word fits the best here, I’m a non-native English writer), trying to provide info and insight, instead of waiting for forum members (like HAV or Poe22222) to wait until inspiration hits them, write something, get a couple of pages worth of posts (counting in the hate and/or scarcasm), then tossed into the thread oblivion.

To summarise, we all need to do things in accordance to our needs; there is no denial that everyone wants different things from the world FGC. To be honest, I would like it to elevate to the point of becoming an e-sport, because I believe fighting games can go the distance. But while the bottom (players) is the one supporting the FGC, it is the top (Capcom, Namco etc) that should look into the potential the FGC holds and lead the way forward.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I will go work on my community :smiley:

I think this is a nice gesture, but ultimately it just means the work gets buried after a week or two rather than a day or two. Why isn’t there a strategy articles section on the front page where that stuff is archived and can be easily navigated? The old SRK had this, only problem was most of the articles were years old (shoutouts to John Choi’s crouch cancel infinite article).

Even just article tags, a feature which practically every other site of this type has but SRK doesn’t for some reason, would be an improvement. It would make it easier to find old stuff and make people less likely to complain about what is or isn’t front-page-worthy. Like, a-cho just put up 45 minutes of high level CvS2 footage a few days ago but I know if that gets posted on the front page the comments will be full of idiots going “lol who cares about this old game”.