SRK Newbie Saikyo Dojo Arcade Stick FAQ (Read this before asking questions)

Just keep playing on pad until you have $100 to spare. Every major there is a promo on some madcatz fightstick for $100. Having 6-8 buttons and a joystick do not make an acceptable stick and if you buy a cheap stick and you don’t already know how good your stick execution is you won’t be able to tell if you can’t do moves on a stick because of you or because of the stick. A bad stick i a waste of money.

I hope this paragraph wasn’t directed at me, since I literally did not say anything.

If you can’t afford a controller, don’t sweat it, the pad will work fine for now. However, if you feel strongly that you need a new pad or stick in order to execute better, there’s nothing with with the stuff in the $50-$100 price range. The PDP pads run even less than that, and function a lot better than your average pad. The Madcatz SE line is an excellent basic stick to start off with. If you should want to put in the high quality arcade parts that $100+ sticks have, it is VERY easy to mod the Madcatz SE in order to replace the joystick and buttons, and the cost of a brand new stick+buttons is around the $60. So, you buy a $50 stick, put in $60 worth of parts, and you spent $120 for a stick that has the same parts as a $140-$150 stick, without the badge value, or the weight of the more expensive sticks (they’re wider and heavier).

Now, if you had $150 to blow, I would HIGHLY suggest the Qanba Q4. Best value-for-money ever.

Nah the only part of that post that was directed at you was where I said thanks. And thanks again for your follow up reply. :slight_smile:

And apologies to the dude I was directing it to if I came off raw.

There’s a defined difference of quality between lower end and higher end sticks. Durability and responsiveness are night and day. So if your in the market for a stick, you may just want to save up for a TE Mad Catz or Hori

All,

Kind of a convoluted question but I’m going to be purchasing an arcade stick soon (dual-console). I’m a big Tekken guy but I also like to do MvC,SF4,Blaz. I don’t want to be switching joysticks/gates all of the time. To play all of those games competitively (but not at tournament levels) what type of jstick would you recommend, Korean or Japanese.

Thanks…

eltrouble,

Thanks for sending toward the FAQ’s… read them both. I’m probably just slow but didn’t get a clear cut answer. Just want to get peoples opinion that have tried both Korean and Japanese sticks. the $150-$200 investment isn’t an easy one for me.

Thanks

Uhhh…you’re not really playing competitively if you’re not gonna go as far as you can go at some point. Well, whatever. The two topics above basically cover what you want to know, and it’s really down to your preferences. Unfortunately, it doesn’t go into much detail about Korean products on the first page of those topics. The easiest option (probably the most affordable too) is the Omni, but since you’re a Tekken player at heart, I don’t know if I should recommend Japanese or Korean parts. Apparently, Korean sticks are generally not as loose as Japanese ones are and the buttons require a bit more pressure (as in if you feather buttons, the risk of accidental presses goes down.) Korean sticks generally don’t use square gates either afaik. This can be nice for non-fighter use, especially shmups (personally, I can’t stand the default TE parts with Mushihime-sama Futari on 360.)

More of an issue with that though is that the Omni is basically fucking awesome compared to buying two TEs and modding them yourself, and I don’t see it in stock anywhere.

Breaker, thanks for taking the time to respond… makes a lot of sense.

Easiest and most affordable is the Omni? Are we looking at different sticks? Because the Omni is like $195. If so, who in their right mind would buy this? Just get the Qanba Q4. By FAR it’s the best value-for-money stick on the market.

Just stick with Japanese parts. They’re good for any variety of games and come with a variety of gate options if you want to switch. They’re the most widely used and popular arcade stick parts for a reason.

Eltrouble - thanks for the feedback… much appreciated.

Really, I started out on Japanese parts. They’re pretty solid. But my game actually leveled up markedly when I switched to Korean parts.

It does take a learning curve to get used to without the gates. But it was negligible for me. Maybe one or two days and my play was already good. Maybe I’m biased, but give me a Myoungshin Fanta and crown buttons over a JLF, or even my previously favored LS-32, and OBSFs any day. That’s with every game I play. I also play Tekken and when you’ve played it on both, you’ll understand why the preferred hardware for the game is Korean.

And as far as SF4 plinking goes regarding the sensitivity of Korean parts. Yes, crown buttons are less sensitive than OBSFs, but they are far more sensitive than my previous Seimitsu buttons. I have zero problems plinking or anything on K-parts.

Actually, my accuracy in inputs is markedly better on Korean parts. For whatever reason, I was not doing hazanshu cancels from crouching position in SF4 on Seimitsu parts. I would get accidental inputs, including ones that would instead net me SBKs, I have never had an accidental SBK on a Fanta.

So yeah, maybe it’s biased, but I definitely feel Korean parts are better.

The Brawl sticks aren’t that bad for $35 shipped on Amazon. The parts obviously aren’t as good and the stick itself is significantly smaller than a full-priced stick, but it should be sufficient to decide whether or not you like playing on stick, and upgrading it is simple.

Merging into the sticky.

just bought a madcatz streetfighter IV stick for 75$ is that good for a beginner stick player???

just bought a madcatz streetfighter IV stick for 75$ is that good for a beginner stick player???

Yes, it’s a good stick.

My buttons on my hitbox is actually kinda sticking when pressed down from an angle and doesn’t come back up instantly it’s not literally sticking down but it’s when I payed attention to it, it felt kinda sticky.

I’m completely new to taking care of the buttons so is there a faq or do you have any step by step instructions that I can look into for cleaning the buttons and maybe considering using dialectric grease?

I don’t want to mess up my first stick lol. Especially since it’s my fiancee’s gift to me. :frowning:

Tech talk would be a better place to look for repair-related advice.

Will do