SRK's Game of the Year (It's Obviously Bayo or ME2 or Nier?!)

I’d like to see just how many SRKers feel the same (or don’t feel the same you souless demons).

You can also mention GotY per system and genre too. It has to be a game you played that came out this year as well. No going to 2009 or only choosing something because the community says it good. You need to know about it for yourself.

When the month of December is over I want to tally all the game of the year choices (do not pick more than one!) to see just how many people chose what.

My picks?

Xbox 360 Game of the Year:

• Alan Wake (sorry, I had to follow Time on this one)
    Xbox Live Arcade Game of the Year:
  • Dead Risng Case Zero (it shows what is possible with the platform)
    PC Game of the Year: I just started getting back into PC gaming but I’m going to choose…
  • Super Meat Boy (future level maker and constant silly updates like throwing in Tofu Boy make it better than the XBLA version).
    PSP Game of the Year:
  • Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (like that was really that hard. I would creep through my neighborhood seeking out wi-fi connections to snag more soldiers. Talk about addictive.
    iOS Game of the Year:
  • Fruit Ninja (it’s almost too perfect for the platform)

I don’t own a Wii or PS3 and my DS is in a drawer somewhere feeling neglected. Now it’s time for genre specific and other categories.

RPG of the Year

• Mass Effect 2
    Adventure Game of the Year
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow (I don’t know how I forgot about this game. Game took you everywhere).
    Fighting Game of the Year
  • BlazBlue Continuum Shift
    FPS of the Year
  • (I think I played a new FPS besides Halo Reach this year but I’ll have to think about it)
    Third Person Shooter of the Year
  • Splinter Cell Conviction (even though it’s a stealth game so much of it deals with shooting that it still qualifies in my eyes.
    Hardcore Action Game of the Year
  • Bayo!!!
    Platformer of the Year
  • Super Meat Boy/Limbo
    Racer of the Year
  • Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
    Soundtrack of the Year
  • Alan Wake (the use of the music really stands as a pillar next to the other key components of the game. If you play Alan Wake using your own soundtrack then you are killing the game in my eyes)
    Competitive Multiplayer Game of the Year
  • Halo Reach (eh)
    Cooperative Multiplayer Game of the Year
  • Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (it’s clever!)
    Shmup of the Year
  • This is a toughie. There have been a lot of shmups that came out this year both at retail globally and on the XBL and PC. I mean this is tough but I’m going to have to say…
    Puzzle Game of the Year
  • Chu Chu Rocket on iDevices (It’s back and that’s all I care about. Go eat a dick)

Here’s some unconventional categories…

Multiplayer Experience of the Year

• Lost Planet 2 (when two or more or gathered, there be explosions and akrid in their midst!)
    Single Player Experience of the Year
  • Vanquish (there’s nothing else like it. Like an on ground Gun Valkyrie)
    Most Underrated Game of the Year
  • Shank (a lot of people didn’t like it and I didn’t at first but by the end I needed a sequel immediately. Luckily co-op is a whole new set of levels).
    Twist of the Year
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow
    Unfinished but Playable Game of the Year
  • Minecraft (I honestly just started a half hour ago since the price is going to go up when the game goes into beta Dec 20th and I can already see the addictive nature of it leaking out).

goty: street fighter 4

goty

Spoiler

:rofl:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Monday Night Combat (or Limbo or MvC2)

RPG of the Year

• Mass Effect 2
  • SSFIV
    FPS of the Year
  • Halo Reach
  • Transformers WFC
  • Bayonetta!!!
    Platformer of the Year
  • Limbo
    Racer of the Year
  • GT5 I suppose
    Soundtrack of the Year
  • The song from the trailer for ES5, which isn’t out until next year
  • Halo Reach, SSFIV,
  • Only really played Reach and Transformers coop

Totally agree. RDR was so much fun. The story was great and the Undead Nightmare DLC was fun to play. Especially in multiplayer.

Didn’t play that many new games this year, so this’ll be kind of a limited list…

Bayonetta

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

PSP Game of the Year:
Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

RPG of the Year:
Z.H.P: Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman (seriously, play this)

Fighting Game of the Year:
SSF4 (Sorry BlazBlue)

Hardcore Action Game of the Year:
'NETTA!!!

Platformer of the Year:
Limbo

Racer of the Year:
Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing (yes really)

Soundtrack of the Year:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Competitive Multiplayer Game of the Year:
SSF4

Coopertive Multiplayer Game of the Year:
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Shmup of the Year:
Deathsmiles

I think that just about covers it.

Mass Effect 2 kind of fucked up everything else I played this year. It came out in January and it’s the only 2010 release I’m still playing. Everything else came and went. The only action game I played and enjoyed this year was a 2006 release. Bayonetta and Dante’s Inferno didn’t do shit for me.

If I had to pick a runner-up, it’d be NIER. I think it’s great that a Japanese developer made a game about an actual man as opposed to whatever the hell Gackt is, and the kickass story and memorable characters were rather alarming. I didn’t expect it to be as good as it was.

Naw best 3rd person shooter is Vanquish. That shit eats everyone else up for breakfast.

I haven’t played as many games this year as I’ve wanted to. Most of my time has been taken by doctors and all that shit, but here’s a list anyway.

And Furry, I do have lost planet 2. We’ll get on it as soon as I’m done with the holidays, man. Shit’s been bananas at my job.

• Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood may change to red dead redemption since I just fired it up

PC Game of the Year:

• StarCraft II
    PSP Game of the Year:

iOS Game of the Year:

• Angry Birds
    PS3 Game of the Year:
  • Heavy Rain
    DS Game of the Year:
  • Dragon Quest IX

RPG of the Year

• Mass Effect 2
  • Super Street Fighter IV (I hate myself)
    FPS of the Year
  • Halo Reach (didn’t play any other shooters this year)
  • Transformers: War for Cybertron
  • Bayo!!! Obviously
    Platformer of the Year
  • Super Mario All Stars Wii. Can’t wait to play this with my son.
    Racer of the Year
  • Didn’t play any racers this year.
    Soundtrack of the Year
  • Halo Reach
  • Halo Reach (eh)
  • Transformers: War for Cybertron

Puzzle Game of the Year

• Puzzle Quest II. Too bad the psp version isn’t disc based.

Multiplayer Experience of the Year

• Transformers: War for Cybertron. Really enjoyed this game, and the multiplayer was varied and fun while it lasted.
    Single Player Experience of the Year
  • Mass Effect 2. I rarely play games twice. I ran through ME2 twice, once on insanity, just to do it. The game lacked the exploration of the first, but it was still a fucking amazing game.
    [/quote]

I’m also going to add Underated Game of the Year. We’ve all played some games that simply haven’t gotten their due, or got shit ratings, or are flawed but still fun. That’s what this one is for. For me, that game is Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions. It’s not a fucking amazing game, but it’s a lot of fun. The voice acting is great, the levels are pretty interesting, and playing as Spiderman 2099 is just cool. The game got “okay” reviews, and it does have some annoyances, but I had a really good time playing it this year.

lemme know if it’s good. I sort of enjoyed the first one, and I was gonna grab LP2 for 30 bucks the other day, but instead bought movies.

Underrated game, I would have to give to Bayonetta.

Sports Game Of The Year:
tie between Fifa 11 and NHL 11. Seriously, even if you don’t give two fucks about hockey and dunno how to play, you’re a fool to not at least play a few games of NHL and enjoy how simple it is to play. Ditto for soccer.

I can throw in my two cents on this one.
Most critics shat on NIER because the protagonist was a man as opposed to a little bitch boy from a J-pop band. That said, it still had a better story than anything I played this year(except Mass Effect 2, maybe), and a cast of amazing characters, and a shitload of fun stuff to do, and great music, and great voice acting, and everything was just great. If this is what happens when Japanese developers take Western influence to heart, they should do it more often. I’m sure it goes both ways, though. Wasn’t Square Enix trying to liken Final Fantasy XIII to Star Wars?

FFXII is the Star Wars one, least sure seemed like it to me. I’m still no sure WTF Square was trying to do with XIII.

SSF4 because that’s my only choice.

Damn why does SRK have such terrible taste in games

• Bayo, easy choice for me

RPG of the Year

• Mass Effect 2

• SSFIV (don’t have much choice and I don’t like BBCS)

FPS of the Year

• Halo Reach

Action Game of the Year

• Bayonetta of course, was there any other competition besides Dante’s Inferno (which sucked cock btw)?

Racer of the Year

• Don’t play them

• Halo Reach, SSFIV,

Always one of these. What games did you enjoy this year, dick?

Fighting game
BB:CS
RPG
Resonance of Fate
TBS
Valkryia Chronicles 2
Best downloadable game
Reccetear

Mass Effect 2. That’s the only game I played that was released this year.

Not Bayonetta or Nier, they’re not on anybodies radar for GOTY with any taste whatsoever, they’re mediocre at best.

And unfortunately theres so many obscure categories included like SHMUP of the year that I’m not going to have a response for I didn’t bother typing one up.

RPG Of The Year: New Vegas
Fighting Game of the Year: SSF4
Action Game of the Year: God of War 3
FPS of the Year: Didn’t care for anything that came out this year, so TF2
Competitive Multiplayer Game of the Year: SC2
Underrated Game Of the Year: Heavy Rain
Overall Game of the Year: Starcraft 2

GOWIII is an adventure at game at best. Damn thing gets mislabeled by everyone. IF one must thrust it into the action game genre then its a very stiff, strict, stale action game. No freedom at all and very large portions of which where you’re not fighting much of anything at all.

Definitely an adventure game.

Action Game of the year: Darksiders

Aaaand s’bout it, 2011 was kind of a dead year for me, nothing really wowed me outside of Darksiders.

If Hard Corps uprising comes out before the end of December, then that’ll probably be up here too.