I’d like to see just how many SRKers feel the same (or don’t feel the same you souless demons).
You can also mention GotY per system and genre too. It has to be a game you played that came out this year as well. No going to 2009 or only choosing something because the community says it good. You need to know about it for yourself.
When the month of December is over I want to tally all the game of the year choices (do not pick more than one!) to see just how many people chose what.
Xbox 360 Game of the Year:
- Alan Wake (sorry, I had to follow Time on this one)
Xbox Live Arcade Game of the Year:
- Dead Risng Case Zero (it shows what is possible with the platform)
PC Game of the Year: I just started getting back into PC gaming but I’m going to choose…
- Super Meat Boy (future level maker and constant silly updates like throwing in Tofu Boy make it better than the XBLA version).
PSP Game of the Year:
- Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker (like that was really that hard. I would creep through my neighborhood seeking out wi-fi connections to snag more soldiers. Talk about addictive.
iOS Game of the Year:
- Fruit Ninja (it’s almost too perfect for the platform)
I don’t own a Wii or PS3 and my DS is in a drawer somewhere feeling neglected. Now it’s time for genre specific and other categories.
RPG of the Year
- Mass Effect 2
Adventure Game of the Year
- Castlevania Lords of Shadow (I don’t know how I forgot about this game. Game took you everywhere).
Fighting Game of the Year
- BlazBlue Continuum Shift
FPS of the Year
- (I think I played a new FPS besides Halo Reach this year but I’ll have to think about it)
Third Person Shooter of the Year
- Splinter Cell Conviction (even though it’s a stealth game so much of it deals with shooting that it still qualifies in my eyes.
Hardcore Action Game of the Year
Platformer of the Year
- Super Meat Boy/Limbo
Racer of the Year
- Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
Soundtrack of the Year
- Alan Wake (the use of the music really stands as a pillar next to the other key components of the game. If you play Alan Wake using your own soundtrack then you are killing the game in my eyes)
Competitive Multiplayer Game of the Year
- Halo Reach (eh)
Cooperative Multiplayer Game of the Year
- Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (it’s clever!)
Shmup of the Year
- This is a toughie. There have been a lot of shmups that came out this year both at retail globally and on the XBL and PC. I mean this is tough but I’m going to have to say…
Puzzle Game of the Year
- Chu Chu Rocket on iDevices (It’s back and that’s all I care about. Go eat a dick)
Here’s some unconventional categories…
Multiplayer Experience of the Year
- Lost Planet 2 (when two or more or gathered, there be explosions and akrid in their midst!)
Single Player Experience of the Year
- Vanquish (there’s nothing else like it. Like an on ground Gun Valkyrie)
Most Underrated Game of the Year
- Shank (a lot of people didn’t like it and I didn’t at first but by the end I needed a sequel immediately. Luckily co-op is a whole new set of levels).
Twist of the Year
- Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Unfinished but Playable Game of the Year
- Minecraft (I honestly just started a half hour ago since the price is going to go up when the game goes into beta Dec 20th and I can already see the addictive nature of it leaking out).