SSF2T: Tips for noobs?

Well, after long bouts of versus games (mainly mvc2) and king of fighters, I decided to pick up on SSF2T. And I got OWNED. Mostly by the computer, which is even worse.
I tried some combos, but the ones I landed were mostly like jab, special move. What kind of combo system does this game use? (Bear in mind, I haven’t really played any of the alpha games, so I don’t know if it’s similar to those.)
Lastly, got any good tips, or a tier list? I don’t know any strengths and weaknesses of the characters in this game. (Besides the fact that zangief can pick fei long out of his rushing punch and into a painful piledriver)

if you wanna do fancy combos, play mvc2 again, ST is a thinking man’s game, where the majority of damage is done by throwing. as for top tier, dhalsim, ryu, o.sagat are top tier, some others, but i dont know, i dont play it much.

lol, don’t feel bad losing to the computer. ST has one of the hardest AIs ever.

There’s a sizable thread about ST here already, it’s called “Old Men talk ST” or something like that.

You’ll find lots of good info there.

BTW, if you’re going to read ST threads, I suggest you put a person called “sim rock” on your ignore list. He likes to post spam on all ST and HF related threads.

Thanks guys. For some reason the strategy forum wouldn’t let me in for a couple of days, so I couldn’t reply. I’ll check the topic out.

There isn’t much of a combo system in ST. With most characters you can hit with multiple jabs and shorts, other than that it is all links.

Here are some somewhat easy ones to try:

DJ: Close standing forward, low forward
Zangief: Low jab, low roundhouse
Blanka: Close standing strong (neutral), towards + strong (2 hit headbutt)

[quote]
*Originally posted by Ultimatum *
**Well, after long bouts of versus games (mainly mvc2) and king of fighters, I decided to pick up on SSF2T. And I got OWNED. Mostly by the computer, which is even worse.
I tried some combos, but the ones I landed were mostly like jab, special move. What kind of combo system does this game use? (Bear in mind, I haven’t really played any of the alpha games, so I don’t know if it’s similar to those.)
Lastly, got any good tips, or a tier list? I don’t know any strengths and weaknesses of the characters in this game. (Besides the fact that zangief can pick fei long out of his rushing punch and into a painful piledriver)

rugal is killed by alien,but he resurrect as a zombie omega rugal,so omega rugal vs alien…who will win?

If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend picking old Sagat. I picked him when I first started, and have noticed that he’s really easy to learn. Basically do fireballs, and most of the time the roundhouse one because he recovers so fast that if they jump in you usually have time to uppercut. Umm… would help if you told us who you use.

Oh, LEARN the old school buffer techniques. I find it easiest to first practice supers like Ryu’s, so to get the timing down on how to buffer cancel the low forward to super. What’s weird is that I’ve never been able to do low forward, d,df,f,d,df,f, punch. I had to condition my fingers to do d, df, f, d+forward, df, f punch. Very weird at first.

blanka is the worst asshole ever made!

Supers do not buffer off normals in ST like they do in A3/3S. So I am not sure what yer talking about with buffering the forward in super with ryu.
I know there has been alot of talk with wk wk super with ken, which does work but that is done by pressing wk and wp at the same time when doing the super.

Maybe buffering isn’t the right word I’m looking for. I was just trying to explain that you can’t do low forward to super the same way in ST that you can in other future installments.

I still can’t do Low Forward into Super with that method, but while trying to do it that way awhile ago, I found another way that works for me, but I can’t do it from a Jumping move into Forward then Super yet. But to do any Sitting Kick into Super (Short, Forward, or Roundhouse even though Roundhouse then super doesn’t connect but shows the Super passing through you) I do:

d,df,f,d,df -> Kick of Choice(Short, Forward, Roundhouse) -> Press Punch of Choice immediately after and HOLD -> f -> Release the punch button you were pressing.

Using the above method I can get any sitting kick to connect with Ryu’s super 95% of the time.

However I think ultimately I have learn the other method since that looks to be easier for jump in combos.

You CAN do it, you just have to be really fast. The window is much much smaller. You have to finish the super motion right as the attack hits, whereas in the Alpha games you can finish it a 1/3 second afterwards or so.

Well, I agree with that it should be able to do it, I just think that has to be the fastest cancelling of normal-> super of any game :eek:.

I prefer to just put the normal in the middle of the super motion. The use of negative edge never really worked for me by the way, I actually hated it in some games because it messed up my attempts at doing combos like Charlie’s c.lp into the kick super in the Alpha games . :lame:

Anyway, I’ve seen a few ST matches over at Evolution, and I didn’t see too many buffered supers. Most of the time the supers were added on into combos that alread had the opponent in the air being juggled or blow-throughs against fireballs (Dee Jay and Chun Li). I’m still practicing with the game engine myself, it just sucks I can’t find a ST board to play with at an arcade.

Two points:

#1: To avoid the negative edge screwing things up hold down the first button you press. Playing N. Ken is a good way to practice this, because otherwise things like low rh->fireball will produce a special kick.

#2: It is really hard to combo supers with the charge characters in ST. Especially a character like DJ who has special moves for charge back, forward + p or k.

hey ya’ll jus curious…what makes o. sagat better than n.sagat? or in general what is the difference between a new character and and old character besides the fact that the new ones can super?

Old characters cannot tech throws and have no super, but they do walk a bit faster.

There are a lot of character-specific difference between the old and new versions.

Old Sagat has the one-hit tiger uppercut and has MUCH better recovery on his fireballs.

that kinda explains it…thanks i wondered why people would wanna play sum1 wit no super… it makes sense now… thanks again. one!

Some of the major differences between old and new characters:

O. Ryu - Does not have rushing fierce punch, overhead strong punch, or jumping juggle strong punch. But his fireballs are somehow better and his DP is invincible. (Forget how)

O. Dhalsim - No “controllable stretch.” Attacks are chosen based on your range, you don’t have to hold back to get close attacks.

O. Blanka - Does not have beast hop.

O. Chun - Does not have upkick.

O. DJ - Does not have upkick.

O. Vega - Does not have…upkick. (Sense a pattern?)

O. Ken - Does not have forward kick throw, big-ass standing roundhouse, air throw, cross-up forward kick or funky kicks. Does have invincible DP, fierce DP combos better I think.

O. Fei - Jumping rh uses N. Fei flying kick special animation, does not have flying kick special.

O. Cammy - Spin knuckle has more invincibility, does not have hooligan jumpy thing.

O. Zangief - does not have green glove or hopping stomach crunches. Not sure if anything is better…

O. Hawk - Fierce splash crosses up better but forward kick crosses up worse, stand rh hits lower better, low forward has more range I think, DP has more invincibility?

O. Honda - Does not have 2-hit low fierce, does not have Ohichi throw, some other normals different?

O. Guile - Back + fierce is his backfist rather than standing punch, knee bazooka is done with forward kick, does not have controllable hopping forward kick, standing RH is not his hopping mid-hit but an anti-air swipe, better recovery on Sonic booms.

O. chars people actually use:

O. Sagat
O. Guile
O. Ken
O. Dhalsim

I’ve also heard of people using O. Hawk and O. Chun a bit.

I’m just going to add on to this a bit.

O. Ken
Has his old standing roundhouse which is good for anti-air in some situations. Cross-up is rounhouse instead of forward.
Invincible dragon punch. Very controllable fireballs; as in jab fireball goes really slow and fierce fireball goes really fast.

O. Zangief
NOT having the weird hopping stomach crunches IS the good thing :stuck_out_tongue: That makes ticking into SPD a lot less annoying

O. Honda
His normals are what they were in HF. New Honda’s normals are totally different from other SF games.

O. Bison
His Devil Reverse homes in and is a lot faster.

I’m sure dogberry can add some info about O. Guile and O. Dee Jay. :slight_smile:

Naw the stomach crunch is great. Just don’t get it by accident. Stomach crunch->super is too good.

The other day on Kaillera I did a stomach crunch from close range and went through a Ryu super fireball. Just passed right through me. Either it was some weird lag related nonsense or the crunch has some interesting properties.