SSF4 on CRT. A Possible Dilemma?

I just hooked my 360 to my older 480p CRT… and it felt like a completely different game. A better game. The game feels faster and much more fluid. With the inevitable HD expansion effecting tournament organizing, being forced to use Plasma/LCD technology due to their penetration, I have a feeling no one’s playing this game the way it’s meant to be played. Is it just me?

I traditionally play on a Panasonic Plasma G10 which is a damn good TV for games - fighting games just as well (assuming the game is developed in HD). I always felt any input lag that certainly existed was negligible (I never perceived it). I’ve been able to carry my game over to other HD sets with no trouble.

Now, I feel like I don’t want to go back. Hence the dilemma. Playing the game on a non-true HD set is guaranteed to give me the game’s full fidelity. But tournaments are using LCD sets of varying quality. Am I the only one that sees this as a big problem?

buy the evo monitor.

Amazon.com: ASUS VH236H 23 Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black: Electronics

That thing?

What other major aside from Evo are known to use that monitor?

I think Devastation used that monitor also.

Seems like they don’t get larger than 25 inches. Eww. Much too small for casual play. I’ll stick with my CRT. Surprised to see no one has much to say about this. Assuming only two tournaments are known to utilize monitors of this quality, this isn’t enough to preclude this from being a problem. I’ll have to assume the community is just willing to deal with it.

so im assuming the smaller (1080p compared to 480p) the tv the better/faster/less lag gameplay there will be?

I play just fine on My 32 inch Sharp LCD. Im of the breed that CANNOT go back to 4:3 aspect Ratio for games/Movies

Physical size does not matter. What matters is the refresh rate quality of the particular set. CRTs have the best refresh rate across the board, hands down, due to the technology being restrained to 480p and 1080i. Plasmas and LCDs aren’t native 480p/1080i, so their refresh rates are typically much higher when displaying images at those standards.

I’m sure someone on these boards can give a better explanation.

The issue that you care about is lag and not refresh. Current plasmas, LCDs and CRTs are all quite capable of running at 60Hz refresh - which is as fast as the console will update. (Not all displays will update that fast, and you do want something that supports 60Hz, or a multiple of it, natively to avoid pulldown issues.)

The reason that CRTs are fast in this sense is that the consoles are built to produce signal for them. The HDTVs lag is (more or less) due to them emulating each other or an NTSC television.\\

[Edited to remove ‘response time’ which has, at best, ambiguous meaning in this context.]

you’ll never really be rid of it.
older crt’s have been known to lag, some tourneys use hdtvs, some tourneys have people bring in their monitors, but the thing you want is consistency.

i would advise practicing on as lagless a monitor as you can. after a few casuals you’ll eventually get the timing down. everyone has to deal with it tbh.

Outside of Evo most tournamet still use CRT TV’s, i dont think i’ve ever been to a tournament where SSF4 was mainly on HD setups aside from the Evo monitor.

As is stated at the very top of the New Definitive HDTV LAG FAQ

RESPONSE TIME HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LAG.

The issue is post processing.

Could always buy a nice Trinitron and get an HDFury?

FW900s are some of the best (and heaviest haha) displays ever made.

Apparently ‘response time’ has a specific technical meaning (pixel switching time) when talking about displays. I meant the time that it takes the monitor to display a signal from the console - which is a response time in the more general sense. Wonderful word of terminology.

The Asus Monitors are just easier to transport than CRTs. Tournaments that use CRTs use them because sometimes that’s all they have access to or don’t have the budget to get new hardware.

The Asus Monitors are just easier to transport than CRTs. Tournaments that use CRTs use them because sometimes that’s all they have access to or don’t have the budget to get new hardware.

It’s important to get the terminology right however, since someone could make the mistake of buying a TV with low response time but with loads of post processing thinking that it’ll have minimal lag.

This, a perfect example is if you were to buy one of these new Samsung Plasmas, plasmas are known to have response time in the hundredths of milliseconds yet most of those high end displays lag like no ones business.

I thought the post-processing could be turned off on most newer TVs. Is that true, and if so, which brands allow you to do it?

WHATEVER IT DOESN’T MATTER
but on a side note, I do want to buy a new monitor just to play my street fighters. Playing it on a 46" inch TV strapped on the wall facing down at an angle while I sit a good 5 meters away is causing me some problems. I find that I react a lot better when the screen is closer to me.