SSFIV:AE Laptop players

hi guys, i know there are some of you out there. question is, how well does the game run and how much did your laptop cost. i’m looking to buy a new laptop for £450 or so. Before anyone starts screaming its impossible at that price you should know i am currently playing the game on my 1.66ghzdual core 256mb geforce go graphics card 2gb laptop on low settings and i get 50fps but use fixed to sort that problem out. of course i have to use simple stages and online to get 57-70fps i turn off stages completely. I probably wouldn’t have this problem if capcom fixed the character model setting. Anyway this laptop cost 450 or so and that was about 6 years ago.starcraft 2 is also fine on low on skirmish but the majority of games i like to play run at 80-90% efficiency on low graphics mode.

I’ve been browsing for an affordable one to play this and starcraft 2 but in the shops they all seem to have integrated intel graphics cards which is great for spreadsheets despite having far superior cpu’s. so if anybody can recommend one that’d be great

inb4 desktop master race hurrdurr laptop gaming, i have no choice as i never live in one place for longer than a year or so. just finished uni and soon i’ll be off to Japan teaching.

edit also i am clueless about specs, i3 2.0ghz doesn’t sound much better than dual core 1.66 but maybe it is, all i know is intel graphics = the suck

I am using a £600 Acer 5750G with Nvidia GT 540M GPU, 6GB RAM and i5. I think the GPU and i5 are worth it, the 6GB doesn’t make much difference and there was definitely a cheaper model with 4GB bringing it closer to your budget.

This is useful: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

I can put everything to high (no AA) and run at 1920x1200 with the spec I have.

If you can find a laptop with an i5 and a GT 540M in your price range you will probably get the same performance as me.

I bought a few months ago a custom made laptop (750 Euro) with i5 2540M, Nvidia GT555M, 4 GB and Win 7 64. you can be content even with an i3 and a GT540M.

SF4 runs smooth at 60 fps even on battery at 1366x768 resolution. I prefer to keep it windowed for less CPU usage. BlazBlue CT the same.
Even the Taito X2 games run smooth. If you use AC performance doubles. I’d advise also to get an external laptop fan since heat is an issue for such games.

All the games I tested run smoothly. Only exception are emulators like PCSX2, MAME and Dolphin. Some games need the plug or else on battery the performance drops in half. Reason is they are CPU dependant rather than GPU.
Battery lasts about 2 hours if you play the game continuously on that resolution.

I also tried the laptop keyboard for the game and I find it more comfortable than the desktop keyboard, except that it has a two button limit.

Using an Asus G51Jx. i7 720QM Nvidia Gts 360m + 6gb ram. Runs all maxed out without aa at 60 fps no problem.

2010 13 inch macbook pro through bootcamp. 320m nvidia. Medium/low but it got the job done while i was away.

Actually my friend’s school required them to buy laptops with discreet graphics (probably an hd3000?) and that can play it on low. Practiced in the car on the way to a tournament once on battery lol. (plugging in arcade sticks/controllers) This game doesn’t require too much.

battery is not too relavent. I’m just mindblown that there doesn’t seem to be a laptop these days that can run this game well for a relatively cheap price, especially as this piece of junk can run it on low and its 6 years old.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5084870.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=tsid:11527|cc:|prd:5084870|cat:office%2C+pcs+and+phones+%2F+laptops+and+netbooks+%2F+laptops+%2F#pdpFullProductInformation how about this badboy, 420quid, i5 [processor and nividea graphics card? surely better than my 256mb nvidia and dual core 1.66

this should be a good deal. how long is the guarantee?
I had mine extended to 3 years because custom laptops makers are not that trustworthy. I’d have spent less but a 17.3" screen is a bonus

yeah im gonna go for that laptop, they have an argos card pay nothing for 6 months deal on so maybe i can afford it lol

i have a question about cpu. my current laptop is intel centrino duo 1.66, but on a website like canyourunit it has a rating of 2.3 or 2.4ghz, so what difference is an i5 2.53ghz, is it the same? my father says its much better but i dont know. the number is the same!

an i5 is more energy efficient, supports newer instruction sets for faster speed, has higher FSB, can take better advantage of the newer graphics cards and memory modules etc. it also has hyper-threading (4 threads) making some applications run faster

look also at the warranty. 2 years should be the minimum.

i saw a video on youtube of some guy playing the game on said specs but it was running 30fps and he was saying oh its playable yaddayadda, i think he just didnt know how to configure the game properly as i get better speeds on my naff laptop. im sure i5 2.53ghz and 512mb geforce 310m is gonna run it just fine, benchmarks say the laptop is at least 3 times more powerful than the one i have.

i decided on the dell xps 15 now, 2.4ghz upto 3ghz i5 with nvidia gt 525m 1gb graphics card. should blow the shit out of ssfivae

The thread title just makes me laugh. :lol:

Congratulations, you will not be dissapointed. Also this laptop can handle PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii emulation quite well

whether you believe it or not, I actually played SFIV AE on a laptop with a kid inside the bus during a school trip. I used the keyboard, he used a gamepad which I had brought. Very fun experience and not possible on an Xbox or PS3 :wink:

Congratulations, you will not be dissapointed. Also this laptop can handle PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Wii emulation quite well

whether you believe it or not, I actually played SFIV AE on a laptop with a kid inside the bus during a school trip. I used the keyboard, he used a gamepad which I had brought. Very fun experience and not possible on an Xbox or PS3 :wink:

Good luck taking an xbox + a tv anywhere.

Why would I want to? There are so many other things to do outside once I leave my house.

Thank god thats not possible on PS3 or Xbox. Keyboard and gamepad? Yea you can keep that between you two.

Get a laptop that has a screen with low input lag.

a keyboard player can beat you easily :rolleyes: