SSFIV AE PC Version - VSync on causes input lag?

Hi all. I’m not sure if I’m the only one here but for some reason, whenever I turn on VSync in SSFIV AE (this covers a few other games too) I get input lag. My system is very much capable of running SSFIV AE at max settings at 1920x1080 without dropping a single frame below 60FPS. When I turn on VSync, its not as if I’m dropping frames because the framerate is still the same but the inputs become sluggish. I have the latest graphics card drivers for my GPU, all latest updates for Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and monitor drivers so I don’t know what could be wrong. I’ve tweaked my monitor settings to have the fastest possible response time, I have also experimented by using an HDMI cable instead of DVI but it made no difference. I know some might suggest to just leave it off but SSFIV seems to have obvious bad tearing issues so it does decrease the quality of the look of the game. So is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks.

These are my system specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (@3.42Ghz)
GPU: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 XXX (GPU clock: 755Mhz / Memory Clock: 1125Mhz with latest 12.1 drivers)
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator
PSU: Corsair TX650
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2260WM

I thought I should add that regardless of what graphics settings I have running or resolution, there is still input lag

…my experience with the game is basically the same as yours. I cannot play with any form of v-sync turned on. I use a Radeon 5870. I have to accept that there will be tearing if I am going to play on PC. Most players can’t detect input delay so it doesn’t really affect them.

The PC version is the best online. I will continue to play it if they ever update to 2012.

vsync is horrible on the pc version. just play without it and learn to live with the tearing

If you have an nVidia card, go into the nVidia control panel and click on “Manage 3D Settings”. Set the “Maximum pre-rendered frames” setting to 0. This, along with turning vsync off seemed to help a lot for me. :wink:

There should be a similar setting for ATI cards.

Turn V-Sync on and see if you can limit the in-game FPS to 59Hz (instead of 60Hz) as well as doing what was mentioned above.

Try D3DOverrider for those with Nvidia cards!

I use vsync with an ati 4850 with no problems at all(AA off). smooth as butter.

to be honest sync is not something to improve the rendering for everyone, it’s only a matter of monitor. If your graphic card provide more frames than the monitor can render at his rate, some frame will drop, but this effect is relatively rare with our monitors and card today. Just turn it off. No need to add more work for the card to run slower than it can. You’ll never notice the missing picture frame if ever you’re in this situation. And I’m quite sure input frames aren’t relative to picture frames, I mean missing pictures doesn’t mean your input is lost.

What? That’s really uninformed, and half of it is just generally untrue. Actually, a lot of cards in today’s market (on NVIDIA’s side anyway) perform better when they’re given heavier work loads (this depends on the game and your CPU though…)

Anyway, D3DO doesn’t help with the input delay. Changing the maximum amount of frames rendered ahead doesn’t either (this won’t affect anything unless your card is struggling to run the game?) Just have to turn Vsync off unfortunately. There is no input lag if you turn Vsync off and your computer is perfectly capable (well, same amount of input lag there is with a TE and a 360.) Capcom must have done something unusual because when Vsync is on, the input lag is really terrible in my experience…like, anyone who plays the game could notice it immediately. Most mid to high machines can run this game at 120-250FPS so I doubt it’s Vsync putting too much strain on the card. Monitor delay doesn’t seem to be the cause either.

I wonder if input lag has also to do with the USB port. I read that there are various tweaks to optimize the mouse port for FPS games, so I wonder if one can do something similar to an arcade stick.
Is it better to connect it to an independent USB port instead of a USB hub? Also USB 2.0 instead of 1.1 will make a difference to the joystick?

It doesn’t matter what I do or what I turn off in this game. It feels floaty online.

Vsync is supposed to generate more input lag if more frames are generated by the gfx card and then cut down to the monitor’s refresh rate. Try limiting fps to 62 with MSI’s Afterburner latest beta, turn off antialiasing in-game (which I found is REALLY adding input lag even at 110fps), turn on Vsync in-game. Please report your experience.

Try playing with the triple buffering setting if you haven’t already. I always disable vsync when I play PC games, but I’ve heard that triple buffering has an impact on input delay.

triple buffering is meant to be used in conjunction with vsync. and the triple buffering implemented in directx causes an INCREASE in input lag.

Which is why you should try disabling it.

Allow me to intervene…

The arcade version of the game has Vertical Sync.
The game was developed with Vsync in mind. It has input lag. An input lag you’ll only notice if you play the game with vsync off once.
Every single game in the world has input lag from Vsync. No exceptions. You’ll notice particularly in the mouse movement.

Turn it on and get used to it. It took me quite a while to understand if it was just me or not, but it’s the way the game was made. No fighting game has Vertical Sync off. Not entirely. You might see a little tearing here and there on the consoles, but that’s not due to the vsync. I’d go through the reasons why, but it’s not relevant to this thread.

Just get used to the game with vsync on. Stop playing with it off, since the tearing will cut a shit ton of frames. The game’s Vsync has a constant, consistent lag that won’t change (unless, of course, it dips below the 60fps mark). With it off, you’ll have inconsistent ups and downs, and repeated frames going batshit juxtaposing themselves, thus ruining the gameplay experience.

It’s not slower than the consoles. It’s still faster. It’s the perfect port for a reason.
Again: get used to it.

Playing Quake3? Turn Vsync off.

…why when I turn v-sync off do I get timing that feels the same to me as console and arcade (I live in city where we actually have an arcade)?

Because hysterical pregnancy also exists.

I have my ps3 next to my computer. As in: side by side. And I didn’t even have to. It’s already been tested by others and explained.

From there onwards, it’s up to you to believe whatever you want to believe.

Vsync turned on with the PC version feels a hell of a lot different than playing at the arcade. The 360 version feels pretty similar to the arcade; the PS3 feels a little…off…but it’s pretty easy to adapt to. So I’m going to say that isn’t true (being a perfect port, anyway.)

What ATi says makes sense so I’m going to assume it’s true (because I am too lazy to bother testing it) but the input delay with Vsync turned on with PC is beyond what is expected. This isn’t 3-5f of lag; it feels like 8-10f.

Also, seeing the above post, I have my PS3 & 360 right next to my computer as well, though the arcade is about an hour away from here…so…yeah.