SSFIVAE DHALSIM - UNDERSTANDING YOGA TELEPORT (beginner to advanced techniques)

dhalsim

ITS FINALLY DONE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOFtg4rSfEs

*** PLEASE HAVE ANNOTATIONS ACTIVATED FOR BETTER UNDERSTANDING ***

this video is meant to shed some light on Dhalsim’s yoga teleport as it is an integral part of the way he functions. what types are there? how to use them ? when to use them ? what setups can be done with them ? what are the advantages and disadvantages of each type and setup ? how do i use them offensively and defensively ?

I tried to be as thorough as possible with the descriptions and annotations by putting everything i can possibly think of to make it as easily understandable as possible. I also added some techniques specific to my own playstyle for the first time (hopefully you will see some new content here). also for the fist time ive added examples from my own online and offline matches to show that these setups, although may seem unorthodox, acctually do work and i use them quite regularly. this video is also split into 13 parts to cover everything from the basics to really high level advanced techniques.

because the video is almost 35 minutes long, I recommend taking it in small doses and understanding each section very well before jumping to the next. (this video took me about 2 months to set up from the ground up)

the following topics are covered:
1- THE BASICS 00:10
2- INSTANT AIR TELEPORTS VS GROUND TELEPORTS 02:00
3- CANCELING INTO TELEPORT 04:07
4- DHALSIM IN THE CORNER 05:38
5- THE YOGA FIRE-TELEPORT MIXUP 07:50
6- TELEPORTING INTO THE CORNER 09:56 (contains special setup)
7- CREATING A MIDSCREEN INVISIBLE CORNER 13:54
8- THE DOUBLE CROSSUP RESET 17:06 (EMPEROR COW special)
9- BREAKING THE EX YOGA FIRE BLOCK STRING 21:36 (EMPEROR COW special)
10- DOUBLE CROSSUP COMBOS 23:42 (EMPEROR COW special)
11- AUTO CORRECT TELEPORTS 26:18 (EMPEROR COW special)
12- KEEPING THE OPPONENT IN THE MIXUP 28:11
13- USING TELEPORTS FOR MEATY ATTACKS AFTER UNTECHABLE KNOCKDOWNS 30:27
BONUS- YOGA WTF!! 33:05

I hope you find this video both informative and enjoyable.

thank you.

A few Sim questions
Instant air teleport

Good work good sir!:slight_smile: I knew everything in the vid, but not specifics like the ex fire being blocked low is required to do the crossup teleport between the two hits! Also, now everyone who watch this, that is not dhalsim players, will have to think about all this when fighting dhalsims and they will mindfuck themselves:P

well im glad you enjoyed it …
if you guys are interested in any other specific topic regarding sim pls let me know … maybe i can work something out :slight_smile:

I would actually be interested in an in-depth shangrila video, where you explore its uses. I see myself as a dhalsim player with good knowledge of the ultra and it’s uses, so I would ofc help with everything you might want to know. Also, as we are waiting for v2012 and hard knockdown on blasts, maybe a video that explored setups from anti air blast knock down, setup after mummy->ex blast etc. I know the recovery on blasts are shortened in v2012 though, so it might not be worth it to do it yet.

Awesome video man… Very insightful info. Learned a ton, so thanks a lot for that. Trying to learn sim a lil so this was great!

im glad you found it useful :slight_smile:

Good stuff, the meaty IAT attacks are very interesting for me as I have never done that before…Will test these next time I play :smiley:

To Mr. Emperor Cow,
Thanks for making this Dhalsim Yoga Teleport video. We all appreciate that. I am a Dhalsim beginner. However, i don’t understand the midscreen invisible corner. I don’t understand what you mean by the “Midscreen Crossup teleport from the fall screen distance”.

You say that if Dhalsim create a temporary “Midscreen invisible corner state”, Dhalsim would teleport into the opponent instead of behind them.

I have 2 questiosn to ask you.

1)When you mean teleport into the opponent, do you mean teleport in front of the opponent?
2) If so, however, in example 14:10, after when Dhalsim do the teleporting, isn’t he behind Ryu? It seems contradict what you said about “Teleport into the opponent instead of behind them”.

Please explain. I appreciate. Thank you very much.

Tat

thanks for your post …

“Midscreen Crossup teleport from the fall screen distance” i mean … both characters are in the middle of the screen (away from the corner) … and they are far from each other (max range) … and dhalsim does a crossup teleport ( srk+PPP)

i dont mean teleport infront i mean crossup teleport (srk+PPP)

the situation is only slightly temporary …
if you compare dhalsim’s teleport from full sreen vs teleporting from mid screen … you will notice that yes he will end up behind him in both situations …
but from full screen he will teleport inside the opponent before he pushes them a little bit forward to end up behind them …

if you compare the fullscreen with the midscreen you will realize that not only that but dhalsim is acctually much closer to the opponent than he normally would be if he teleported midscreen

also if you teleport above the hitbox you will be directly above … but still land behind … just like in the corner

you will also notice that it takes the opponent a frame or 2 longer to switch sides which means if you pulled the screen far back enough … you can acctually make the game regiser dhalsim in the front before you end up in the back … i put a few examples on that in the last part of the section … when both players pull the screen …

i hope this explains your confusion … try it in training mode

Thank you for your help. I will try that at home. :wink:
Tat

Really good work EC,

Really good tips / advice and information here.

Tau Namo

To Mr. Emperor Cow,
I have some questions to ask you about part 3 “Canceling into teleport” in your teleport video.

1)For example, when I do the B.HP, I have a hard time canceling into the teleport. How do you do it? Do you have to do it really fast?

2)For 4.42, the shortcut about the canceling from LK slide into teleport. You mention
Db, Df + Lk, DB (PPP or KKK) is backward teleport.
Df+LK, D, Df (PPP or KKK) on the other side.

How do you do that? I tried it many times, and it is not working. It just does not make sense to me. Your LK slide input does not look like SRK (F, D, DF) at all. And you are putting commas between each input, what does it mean? Am I thinking too much?

For example, your LK slide into teleport input, Db, Df + LK, DB (PPP or KKK), when I use the joystick, do I suppose go from DownBack, then roll it to DownForward and hit LK at the same time, and I roll my joystick back to DB again with PPP together?

Please, please respond. Thank you very much.

Tat W

1)I’m not the Emperor, but I can answer you:)
to cancel B.HP to back teleport, you need to press back and HP at the same time (the back motion is the beginning of the srk motion in the teleport), and then fast follow with down and down back+ppp/kkk

1. In ssf4 Capcom let almost all special moves have lenient/easy inputs. This means that you don’t have to be very excact with your motions and a SRK for example does not need forward, down, down-forward motions, but will also come out if you do:

down-forward, down, down-forward.
or
down-forward, down-back, down-forward

With lk slide to teleport, you use this leniency to your advantage. The last description of how to do lk slide to back teleport seems correct, but lk slide has a really small window where it can be canceled, so you need to go from “down-forward+lk” to “down-back+ppp” very fast.

Hope it helps:)

thankyou very much.
I have a quick question. On the above, you mention down-forward, down-back, down-forward.
When you mean from down-forward to down back, do you pass through the down in between of down-forward to down back?

Or vice versa, when you go from down-back to down-forward, do you pass by the down in between of down-back to down-forward?

It might be a dumb question to you. But i just want to be sure what you mean. Please respond. Thank you.

Tat W

Yes you pass through the down motion, in fact the down motion is important to the motion, I just skipped it because as you too felt, it would be weird to go from down back to down forward without hitting down:P

Ok, thank you…

lol just try the slide input like i showed it …forget sense … its a shortcut … srk shortcut is df twice (df,df)… back srk is db twice (db,db) or even b,f,b (feilongs love that shotcut ) … if it works then you’re doing it right :slight_smile:

as for the b.hp into teleport … simply just do b+HP, d, db+PPP or KKK … basicly the b that you press when u do b+HP is considered as part of the teleport input …
think of it like when ryu does d.MK df, f+P to do … d.MK into hadouken … you dont press down twice … just the one time … get it ? :slight_smile:

i hope that makes more sense …

Yes, that make more sense now. I try it and it work. Thank you. :slight_smile:

To Mr. Emperor Cow,

In your video, you are showing us a combo (Jump HP, B.mk, light yoga flame). I am just wondering how do you connect the B.mk and canceling into light yoga flame. I have tried it many times and I could not get it to work. Can you please give me some hints? It is very frustrating…….

Is there any better way to connect the B.mk and canceling into light yoga flame? Please help. I am so eager to be a good Dhalsim players like you guys.

Tat W

It’s not unusual to have problems with the back medium kick xx light flame at firs. One thing to remember is that light flame has a full half circle motion, not a quarter circle like fireballs. If you can’t cancel b.mk to flame, you are either messing up the motion (use training mode to see what you are doing wrong), or you are just not doing it fast enough. The easiest way to do it for me is to do the full motion from player 1 side: :b::mk: :hcb::lp:

You could however do it with the following motions:
:b::mk: :df::qcb::lp:
:b::mk: :df::b::lp:

I find it easier to just practice and do the full motion fast enough. Think of it as one move, not to moves done together.