Stand Jabs on Crouch

yang

I know the forum has died in anticipation of 2012 edition (named not for the year, but the number of nerfs we’re getting), but I’ve decided I’m going to try to tough it out with Yang anyway.

That said, it seems really important to know who we can stand jab on crouch, especially so in 2012 because the +4 jab is one of the things we aren’t losing. I know most of the good Yangs will know all of this anyway, but I didn’t see it anywhere else and I think it should be available. Without further ado:

Characters that stand jab works on in all circumstances:

Ibuki
Makoto
Dudley
Seth
Gouken
Gen
Dan
Yun
Juri
Bison
Sagat
Cammy
Dee Jay
Cody
Hakan
Yang
Guile
Zangief
Rufus
Fuerte
Vega
Fei Long
T. Hawk
Adon

Characters that stand jab whiffs on heavy recoil:

Ryu
Ken
Akuma
Sakura
Oni
Guy
E. Ryu
Balrog
Rose

Characters that stand jab whiffs on second hit:

E. Honda
Chun-Li
Blanka

Characters that stand jab whiffs on rapid-fire on block:

Dhalsim

So basically for the first group you should be able to throw out stand jab and go into a hit confirm with no issue at any time. With the second group you shouldn’t try to go into immediate stand jab pressure off a dive kick or jump fierce (and most Yangs I’ve seen do cr. jab, s. jab in order to avoid missing on that… it’s a good habit to be in and it only gives you one less frame on block). The third group basically can’t be hit confirmed into a combo off stand jab lockdown unless you’re godlike, so probably go for cr.lk x 2 or 3 into whatever. Dhalsim is just weird. He does this thing where he drops his head after a crouch block and rapid fire jabs will whiff, so I’d probably just stick to dive kicks and the million other things we have to beat Dhalsim.

Also, with Seth, Ibuki, Guile and Rose, I’ve gotten stand jab x 2 to whiff on rapid fire with certain timing, but if you’re spacing it out for a hit confirm this shouldn’t be an issue. There may be more characters like that, but I didn’t come across any. Balrog is the opposite: rapid fire always hits him, but his hitbox gets pushed back really far by the first s.jab, so if you time it late the second one will whiff. Use caution.

Bonus: I’ve been messing around with cl.mk walk forward U1 lately because it’s really easy to execute, so I don’t drop it in pressure situations. I can get it to work (from right next to the opponent, not flip grab distance :/) on everyone except for Zangief, E.Honda, Adon, Cody, Dee Jay and Dudley. As far as I can tell, they just fly too far away.

Just Rolling With It: Yang General Discussion Thread

i find dash up U1 to be the easiest

I wonder why don’t you use CrLP,CrLP, CrMK for hit confirming for characters that stand LP whiff ? Because it’s 1 frame link ?

Actually I’ve been using cr. lp, s. mp, cr. mk lately on the dumb hurtbox chars. It’s a 2f link followed by a 1f link but does much better damage. It’s not a true blockstring like cr. lp, cr. lp though, so obviously you have to mix it up some.

i agree with this quote. this is what i usually use in battle.