Standing 720

I have little to post->
Eh…I haven’t slept in 40 hours, so I’m going to sleep after this…
:frowning:

I don’t recall if I posted this stuff before, too lazy to check, but regarding the “walking 720” [btw, I found out how to do it, yay…:wtf:], I tried what erco and paul lee told me to do, which is buffer it like so:

F,DF,D,DB,B,F,DF,D,DB,B,F+P

and that didn’t work, so then I tried an alternate approach, AND IT WORKED!!! (don’t get excited yet, this part is just a kicker :()
however, upon learning the method, I told paul and he said that it WASN’T a “buffer”, it was “charge partitioning”!

I didn’t even know that Hugo could charge partition, but basically it’s done like this:

1st you do a 360 motion on the ground, you may have to whiff a move like a jab or a short to stay on the ground…after this, you can walk forward A TINY TINY BIT, and then you do another 360 (note: not really necessary, as Hugo’s 360 only requires you to do a 270 on the stick), so basically you do 360, walk up a bit, 270+P and voila!..pseudo walking 720!:smiley:

However, there is an alternate method which I found from an amount of time which was about 1/10 of the time I spent on the 1st method (see, I told you that pseudo-crap trick wasn’t the exciting part!:bluu: )

This other method…well, it really took me more time in translation, as I went to various Japanese 3rd strike websites looking for ways to do what is called in Japan, “Tachi Gigas” or Standing Gigas (basically do a 720 without dashing, ticking, jumping, etc. just plain…do it out of the clear blue sky kinda thing!)

Most websites I went to first had people writing in their daily diaries of how they went to the arcade and saw someone “do it”…and labelled it as “scary” (overemphasis)

One of the sites I went to in the early parts of my quest had a person who actually asked the other Hugo player how he “did it” and the answer was this: [I just did it really fast:wtf: ]
So after reading that, I was quite dissatisfied with myself…

But enough about the story…it’s getting boring as it is
Skip a few minor things here and there and we cut to the chase:
2 references I found were very helpful in practicing the "Tachi Gigas"
One was a website which is:
http://generich.hp.infoseek.co.jp/contents/capture/capcom/generich/hugo.html

Good luck reading Japanese :lol:
After reading this…I was still quite unsure as to how to actually do it…but it gave me an idea (well no, not really but you get the point)

The 2nd reference was my 3s Bible…I was bored one day and was flipping through it when I noticed that it talked about how to do the “Tachi Gigas” (my book is too good, it even talks about charge partitioning, and has Genei Jin combos :smiley: )
Anyhow, for those of you at home who don’t have it, roughly translated it says this:

hmmm…screw the unnecessary explanation part, the direction you input is basically = 360 minus a direction (forward?!? I think), plus a 180 minus a direction (again forward, if different from first, same as first)
Adding those 2 together, it’s like 7/8 of a 360 plus 4/5 of a 180
In Japanese, it says “to do Gigas Breaker, it’s not needed to do 360+360, you only have to do 360+180”, but the trick is to skip a direction on the way so that it doesn’t really register as a 360 AND a 180 in the same motion (I know, I didn’t get this part at first)
Japanese translation continued: “If you practice, you can use this to the fullest…blah, blah, blah, etc.”

So there you have it, not quite clear, but that explanation is the best I’ve got right now…I’ll be free to answer questions about this

The EASY way to do it (heh, there really isn’t an “easy” way but…) is basically to just do what that Japanese guy did in Japan
-> “do it really fast!”:wtf:

hmmm i dun really understand the techi gigas method that you mentioned… 360 + 180? how do you do a 360 minus a direction? can you give an example using exact direction inputs?

and wouldn’t you be in the air after the first “360” anyway? (of course not if you do it really fast… but then that ruins the whole pt of standing gigas) or can do you do the “180” first?

the first 360, you “should” be in the air when you do it, but I think it has something to do with the motion

when you do the 360, you’re going from forward to back, then up again…this “should” cause Hugo to High Jump if you do this alone…

So basically it’s what is in the High Jump…because when you High Jump, it’s takes more frames to execute than a Normal Jump, therefore you are on the ground for a longer amount of time

It’s like Chunli’s close standing Roundhouse, which upon High Jump cancelling, can be cancelled further into the Houyoku Sen…by tiger kneeing the motion of course

With Hugo, you are simply cancelling just the High Jump action into the Gigas

HugoLizard: If you need the directions, it would look something like this:

F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF * DF,D,DB,B+P
^
||

(skip the forward direction here, according to the 3s Bible)

hope that helps

so have u been able to do F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF * DF,D,DB,B+P with success? doesn’t sound very easy to skip a direction when u r trying to circle the joystick as quickly as you can… but i’ll give it a try tmr, thx for the tip

i hope this is better than to do a 360+270 really fast :wink:

I couldn’t quite get that “arrow” to point at the asterix (*), I hope you get the general idea

Sometimes I do:

F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF, (skip Forward), (skip Down Forward), D,DB,B,UB,U+P

and it still comes out…this is kind of like a shortcut and is A LOT EASIER IMO

But then again, it’s different strokes for different folks
ie. I showed this to my friend and he tried both ways and didn’t like it, so he decided to “just do it really fast”

However my friend usually plays on Japanese sticks and has an ASCII at home to practice on, so he would probably prefer the “honest way of cheating” than to try and shortcut it
…another example of this is when doing combos, some people mash the buttons to make sure they come out, most done on japanese sticks/machines are pushed only once, and at the time that it is supposed to connect…
In other words, accuracy

Here are just a few other options to try, although I personally CANNOT “do it really fast” (MAYBE IT’S JUST ME?!?), no matter how many times I try -> I always end up in the air from a High Jump EVERY TIME, which means that I am probably not doing it “fast enough”

Hope this is more elaborated

tried a bit today… skipping forward is just too hard for me coz i can never tell if i actually skipped it or not, since going from top-forward to down-forward requires the stick to go thru the neutral/forward area…:bluu:

nonetheless, i realized u still gotta rotate the stick REAL fast to do tachi gigas :eek: i’ve tried just doing 360+270 real but i would always jump… maybe coz american sticks r too stiff :o i should prolly switch to SA3 since it’s been getting real hard to land 720 on anyone decent :slight_smile:

when I first tried the 720, sure, it was on my Japanese ASCII…then I went to the arcade and did it on American sticks

it wasn’t really that much different, in fact, I got it on my first try :smiley:

anyhow…yeah, skipping the forward direction is hard, it just takes “a lot practice and dedication” -Justin Wong
(I hope I play him on Saturday [in any game, provided he shows])

I have no idea how to use SA3, got any advice?
only combo I can think of is the crossup splat, low jab x 2, super
other than that, it’s reaction on the low short, or combo off of a palm strike/clap move

And this might seem like another stupid question but WTF is the practicality of being able to do a standing 720?

I can’t find any uses for it, kinda like juggling w/Sakura’s taunt during a custom in A2/A3
->sure, it’s flashy, but NO DAMAGE

shortshortsuper, you are now my favorite human being. =) I’ve tried doing standing Gigas in the past, but was pretty much always trying it the same (wrong) way and just brushed it off as too hard to do on US sticks. “The Japanese players can do it because of their sticks,” I’d say. But I read your post, went to the arcade, and got it on my 2nd try. I then proceeded to get it 16 more times in that same game (against the CPU). Most of these were just whiffed, but that obviously wasn’t my concern. The thing is, when I tried to play again and continue practicing it, I found I couldn’t do it anymore - not even once. After a bit of time and frustration, I realized it was because I had simply worn out my hand/wrist/arm from rotating the stick so much (insert masturbation joke here). So, as a warning to anyone else trying to practice this technique, make sure you’re physically prepared for it - it’s exhausting. =) Mind you, this was all on tough US sticks that you have to really crank (ditto).

In an ideal reality (where you could pull off standing Gigas with 90%+ effeciency), you could replace any time you would have done a standard SPD with a Gigas (if you have the meter). That’s pretty significant. Obviously, no one is -that- good at it, but getting up over 50% is pretty scary.

when I first tried the 720, sure, it was on my Japanese ASCII…then I went to the arcade and did it on American sticks

it wasn’t really that much different, in fact, I got it on my first try :smiley:

anyhow…yeah, skipping the forward direction is hard, it just takes “a lot practice and dedication” -Justin Wong
(I hope I play him on Saturday [in any game, provided he shows])

I have no idea how to use SA3, got any advice?
only combo I can think of is the crossup splat, low jab x 2, super
other than that, it’s reaction on the low short, or combo off of a palm strike/clap move

And this might seem like another stupid question but WTF is the practicality of being able to do a standing 720?

I can’t find any uses for it, kinda like juggling w/Sakura’s taunt during a custom in A2/A3
->sure, it’s flashy, but NO DAMAGE

SlimX:

hmmm…sounds interesting, on average, I can do it about 5/10 times, but I’m still working on it

and you’re right, it is EXHAUSTING!!
about using the 720 in real matches, is there any possible way you can take advantage of the extra range on the 720 that you normally couldn’t do in the same situation with a 360?

Well, it’s not just the range. The range is significant, but ultimately, you can accomplish range that’s not far off by using jab SPD. The real significance is that A) Gigas is guaranteed if they’re on the ground and in range (and not beginning a super with really long invincibility time) and B) the DAMAGE. =) The whole significance of Gigas, in general, is that it’s difficult to pull off but it’s one of the most damaging supers in the game. What if Gigas was just QCFx2 to pull off? You could never get anywhere near Hugo. What if Gouki’s unparriable DDD+PPP super was also unblockable and nearly instantaneous? Do these things not sound significant? =)

yea, I guess when you put it that way, it’s rewarding…sometimes it can be annoying when all I’m thinking about is pulling it off when you have Yun/Yang jumping around all day doing dive kicks

Me…I’m just a beginning Hugo player, learning more and more about him everyday (I’ve only been playing for less than a year)

(my other chars are Alex/Ryu/Makoto/Ken/Chun/Yun/Yang/Dudley/Remy/Urien)

PS. I need to get better at footsies :bluu:

peace:)

you guys are really dedicated :cool: i just kinda gave up today after like 10 tries coz it was so tiring and i felt it was really difficult to skip the forward direction

gonna try F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF, (skip Forward), (skip Down Forward), D,DB,B,UB,U+P like shortshortsuper suggested :slight_smile:

and i’d have to agree with slimx… i think anyone’s hugo would be a lot scarier if he/she can do standing 720 for at least 90%+ of the time ( on top of the cool factor :cool: )… and dun really hafta rely on parry -> gigas ie waiting for ur opponent to make a mistake ( which is how i get to gigas my opponent most of the time )

HugoLizard: I found a “shorter” shortcut while playing the other day:

you don’t have to skip the forward direction, but you need more motions…it’s like this see ->

F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF,F,DF,D,DB,B+P

just to be safe, I do an extra motion and do this:

F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF,F,DF,D,DB,B,UB+P

It’s hard to tell the directions, but I’ve proved that it’s possible without skipping the forward…so I hope that makes it easier for you

peace out :slight_smile:

don’t have to skip the forward motion? but isn’t that the whole point of “tachi”?

but F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF,F,DF,D,DB,B,UB+P would be a little too close to “360+270”… hehe :smiley:

gotta try both F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF,F,DF,D,DB,B+P and the method u suggested a little earlier… see which one actually works for me :slight_smile:

if you do it right, yea, it’s like 360+270 or 360+240…whatever the fuck…

Just look at it this way…do a full circle (360), and then a portion of another circle, and do at least a half (180), but you don’t have to do a full (360) so somewhere in between

so: 360 + (somewhere in between 180 and 360) + P

heck, I’m starting to confuse myself now…I’m very bad at explaining things in detail:(

i really hope F,DF,D,DB,B,UB,U,UF,F,DF,D,DB,B+P would work for me though coz i always feel like i just need to be a little bit faster whenever i try to do 360+270… hehe maybe skipping 2 extra direction inputs would help :smiley:

and this might be a newbie question hehe but do u hafta tap the forward motion to start or does the forward direction count if say ur walking forward?

I pretty much just do it how he originally said, 6321478963214. However, upon loading up CvS2 and using its input display to see exactly what I’m doing, it seems I usually miss the 9 direction and thus ending at back gives me only 12 points, rather than the required 13. I’ve tried consciously trying to end at up-back, but it doesn’t seem to improve by performance. I wish 3s had an input display so I could see exactly what I’m doing wrong. :confused: It may just be an inherent aspect of the way I hold the stick that will be difficult to overcome.