Start, Foster, or Join a Fighting Game Scene in Your Area

Something I’ve been meaning to write for a while, and I finally got around to it last night.

[LEFT]Fighting games have had a fantastically healthy resurgence since Street Fighter IV was released in 2009, and I have talked to people who see the fighting game scene from the outside and believe those who are a part of it were inducted into some sort of secret underground club that is clearly too elite for them to join. Fighting game players view their scene as the exact opposite, as they want everybody who plays these games regularly to be a part of their local scene. There are also players who want to be part of a scene but live in areas that have either, weak and unorganized fighting game scenes, or live in an area with a non-existent scene. Either way, gamers can’t get better at their game without other players, so we’re going to lay out some options to solve these issues.[/LEFT]

The rest of the article is here:
[LEFT][/LEFT]
http://nerdyvideogamestuff.com/default_HowtoStartFosterorJoinaFightingGameSceneinYourArea.htm

I wonder if more mainstream/casual gamers would be more comfortable with creating/joining some generic “gaming club”, that plays a variety of stuff, some coop, some competitive, even some non-video games like card games and so forth. Rather than a hardcore FG group.

At least, it seems the easiest way to get them used to getting out of the house and playing in RL with other people etc.