Start Over?

Well, I first started playing Street Fighter with SSF4 about a year ago, and I really like the game, but I feel like I am on the wrong track. I am always changing my main (Not really sure why, maybe I get bored.). I have played with Sakura, Juri, Ibuki, Abel, Yang, Ryu etc. I am not winning on XBL, and I can’t land combos that well. Not to mention my friend who doesn’t even own his own copy is beating me with T Hawk. I feel I should just hit the reset button and play ken for a while until i get my bearings. Should I start over?

There really is no “starting over”. You just need to use what you know, learn what you don’t, play to your strengths, and improve on your weaknesses. Finding a steady main is a good first step.

I figured I should try to pick a main, but I didn’t want do post something that has already been on this site a thousand times. I think I have a good feel for the basics, so I should be able to play most of the cast. I guess I like characters that are more rushdown/ mixup based (that would explain my T Hawk Problem).

All the characters you mentioned (besides Abel and Sakura) have the tools to beat a T. Hawk well (and the other two can still do it, there are no unwinnable matches, really). Ryu, and ESPECIALLY Juri can zone the crap out of Hawk. Yang needs to be a bit conservative, but you can poke at him and try to bait a whiffed command grab, then punish him. And Ibuki, well…is all about the knockdown, like usual. If you like to rushdown, and be able to beat T. Hawk, I’d think Fei Long may be good. His dragon kick is solid and he has some good pokes that can generally keep him out of the danger zone. No matter who you use, the T. Hawk matchup needs to be played VERY patiently. Once you get a life lead, make him come to you.

I do feel the need to plug Evil Ryu. Crazy damage on his combos, and you can fall back to a zoning game if the need arises (but if you make zoning your primary strategy, just use Ryu).

That is awesome. Thanks, man. I’ll give Fei and Evil Ryu a try. I guess now I just have to focus on sticking w/ the main I pick.

Honestly matchups and things like that are worthless until you get your character to a competent level. Grind the combos and play your friend until he is free.

True, but if he needs to pick a character yet, and he hates Hawk (;_:wink: then choosing a character to combat Hawk may just find something. I chose Hawk as a counter to people rushing the hell out of me when I played Sim. I fell in love with the big guy. Maybe a counter pick will find companionship here, too. :smiley:

Ultimately, when it comes to choosing a main, you need to find someone who’s fun enough for you to stick with while losing.

This
Way better than “pick who looks cool”

If you really suck that much, wouldn’t you just say that you never left the starting line in the first place? What have you learned that you can put to use?

There are plenty of guides on this site, feel free to buy them all.

Well, I am not so bad that I never win, I am usually about 30/70 when I play with my friend. I just don’t feel like I’m getting any better, and it’s probably because I don’t have a for sure main.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
After some time trying out different characters and weighing your suggestions I finally decided on a main, Akuma.
I guess what held me from him was the fact that a lot of people play him, but then I thought, “Who cares if a lot of people play him? It just gives you more motivation to be better than those people.” Every time I land a Demon, I feel all tingly inside XD. Anyway, thanks again for all the help

Well I think If you stick to a character long enough, it will become second nature to play them. Knowing their strengths and weaknesses helps you to make up for their “crappiness”. It just takes time, and I intend to put that time into Akuma.
And if a character had everything at their disposal, they would be broken. How does a character who’s fast, good mixups, good footsies, good priority, and is easy to play sound? Maybe you should try Yun.

There are a lot more ways to get in close than just jumping in and crossing up. And to say Yun can’t get in close is ridiculous.

don’t feed the trolls

Eh…

go into training room and train your char
learn Bnb combos
don’t jump over and over
get real it’s not the training dummy that let you do what the hell you want
outsmart your opponent