Still missing teeth and looking for trouble

Hello everyone. My name is James Lee McKigney. I play fighting games every now and again but I suck at them. And to add insult to injury I couldn’t get the hang of things because I have Autism, ADHD and Aspergers syndrome. I tend to think of myself as the Punching Sandbag. I’m sorry but how do I increase my self confidence and how can I master the games’ Modes and competitions with the pros kicking my butt whenever I go online?

I will start off with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix because it’s the latest in the Street Fighter 2 Series and work my way up the Difficulty Levels. I also have several Fight Pads and a couple of Fight Sticks with a Neo Geo Pad USB controller being mailed to me. I will get the DLC and the download version of the Street Fighter 4 Series on PSN and I will also get KOF XIII on PSN since I have the DLC and my Playstation Plus Subscription expired. I am also considering getting Mortal Kombat 9 and the DLC but I am worried that it will freak my parents out due to the massive amount of Gore that said series is known for.

Some more info about me is that I am still taking classes online and in different places, I have a Youtube Channel where I do Let’s Plays, I am hoping to get a USB Capture Card and I am a member of Facepunch (I am KOManiacJim over there) and that’s all I can say at the moment. I promise to abide by the rules and to be fair and to treat everybody as if they were me. I vow to try my best even with the difficulties I have and I will eventually be a Decent player and I shall see you soon. Sorry that I haven’t been here for a while but I will try to be way more active here. So, See you in the arena.

If you’re going to get KOF XIII, get it on Steam if you can since the online for PCs is greatly improved over the console versions’.

Increasing your self-confidence works like any other activity, you just have to keep throwing yourself at it and working to improve until you’re better. It’s like playing basketball for the first time, you’re not going to be able to dribble, pass, move around, or shoot the ball very well. However, these fundamental skills, like the ones in fighting games, can be worked on and improved both by playing and when practicing by yourself/with a friend. Then, once you have the purely mechanical skills down, it comes down to being able to read your opponent, which is only gained through experience and holding many Ls to one’s chest.

Also, when you say you’ll “work your way up the difficulty levels” are you referring to single player vs the CPU? If so, it won’t do very much except perhaps give you a moving target to practice combos on. CPUs do not behave like human players and even the cheapest CPU opponents (e.g. SNK bosses) have exploitable flaws that make beating them a fairly simple exercise once you can figure them out.

If you’re using a PS3, a “fightpad” isn’t really necessary. While some people do have a preference for having all the buttons on the face of the controller, many can and do get by fine using just a regular Dualshock 3/Sixaxis. PS1 and PS2 pads also work just fine for many games as well, provided you have the proper adapter.