Street Fighter Beginners guide

hey guys I just posted this on a different forum (what used to be streetfighter4forums.com after that one died) so I won’t post the link here it is just to explain why i start out the way i do below here.
I have put a beginners guide together and i would like to know everybodies oppinion on this so let me know :slight_smile:

so i was thinking: where do we (or should we) stand out compared to other forums and i think we all know the answer is this: we are a mixture of high level and low level players with everything in between and concentrated on the ‘casual’ gamer.

3 years ago i got into sf4 and i didnt know SHIT about competitive gaming and i needed to teach myself everything about street fighter. if i had KNOWN back then what i know right now i would have been sooo much better in much shorter period of time. a few months ago i persuaded my brother to start playing sf and in just a few months he has become a pretty good player because I told him do this, dont do that in the first weeks and even though he is stuborn in some things like when i said: DON’T mash and DON’T do random ultras (he still does that regularly, giving a irritated excuse saying he doesnt have the time to learn combo’s) but all in all he has become realy good in just a few weeks.

now we all know there are a lot of startegy guides on the internet (like the crosscounter guide and sirlin’s pro-guide) but the point to those guides is in my oppinion: they are all directed to players from medium to high level skill

none of them is directed to beginners. and this is where I (and hopefuly WE! ) kick in. so lets start a beginners guide to street fighter for people who litteraly just bought the game to playes that are reaching mediocre level.

before I start I will say that if i needed examples I used Ken as an example both because he is my personal main and I know him best as well as the fact that Ken is used by many people who start out using this game. another reason is that many of Ken’s examples can be applied to many other chars.

ok so you bought the game, you KNOW this game offers a lot to learn even though at this point you don’t even begin to realise how much that realy is, so where do you begin? what do you do?

well let me start off by giving you a little insight on what street fighter is basicly about. many people have compared Street Fighter a lot with either poker or chess. I like to see Street Fighter as a fusion of those two more than actually fighting. how and why this is, is something you will graduadly understand more and more while reading this guide and simply playing street fighter. I’ll try to give a random description up front and you will see the examples as you’re reading through this guide (or during actual gameplay)

why poker?: street fighter consists of an collection of different options at any given time or situating in the game that hold different reward-risk x fail/succes% ratio’s. at any given time or situation you want to select the most succesful option and most often this is the option with the most optimistic reward-risk x fail/succes% ratio. or in simpler terms you mostly want to use the move that has the highest chance of succes with the most damage possible against the lowest risk. that way you gamble with the most chance of comming out on top.

why chess?: so the poker analogy is pretty straightforward and concrete, the chess analogy is a lot more abstract and harder to grasp. so you have the different options and possibilities NOW however you need to be able to move your pieces (consisting of your character, your opponents character, the stage, your mindset and your opponents mindset) in such way that you are in the very best position of actually putting your best “poker options” to use that you have at your disposal while forcing your opponent to be limited to his lesser “poker options”. this is also where the so called “mind-games” come in as you need to work your opponents mind in such way that you gain the upper hand. the one person that has the combination of all this down the very best is the player we all know: Daigo. if you’re a fanboy or not you must give respect to the way Daigo puts all these cogs of the game to turn so fluidly, in sync and so completely.

I know at this moment all this seems very complex and confusing but along the way you will start to learn and understand every single word I said above.

First off you need to understand the very basic terms of the game. I would have explained it to you if it weren’t for eventhubs.com where it is explained very good already:
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/basic-gameplay-details-street-fighter-4/
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/sep/10/charge-buffering-street-fighter-4/
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/may/04/shortcut-motions-shoryukens-dragon-punches-street-fighter-4/

so lets get to the rest! first off let me start with what you SHOULDN’T do and why not.

DON’T:

Mash buttons or stick inputs. realy, don’t do this. i know its tempting because you want to get that special move to come out and you just want to get over and play the fucking game already.
so why shouldn’t you do this:
well first and most importantly: once you learn it its realy difficult to UNlearn it. believe me…its REEAAAAALY difficult to unlearn it.
second: even though mashing CAN sometimes give you victory (when playing other low skilled players) think about how that victory came to be: did you get this victory because you played so well? or was it just because you got lucky a couple of times? i know the answer but you just answer it for yourself and then ask yourself: is that how I want to win?
third: eventually when you learn the game you want your hands to throw out a specific move at any given moment when you feel it fit to do so. mashing moves is very counter-productive in that respect.
fourth: mashing moves makes it impossible to do combo’s and eventually: thats one of the things you want to do right?
fifth: mashing moves makes you throw out a lot of unsafe things. when on a low level that isnt much of a problem but when you’re advancing in the game it will become a huge problem

there are moments when mashing is not such a bad thing to do but you will only know when that is once you are above average level at this game. so just DONT do it

jump in on your opponent. i specificly say jump IN because jumping in general can be useful. jumping in also is very tempting because at first it can be very scary to get in on your opponent in a different way plus it seems a pretty good way to get a combo starting.
so why shouldnt you do it?
ok besides “because it makes you look stupid” :stuck_out_tongue:
1st: you will prevent yourself from finding other (and better) ways into your opponents face and thus growing in the game
2nd: you get predictable giving your opponent a very easy way to addapt to you
3rd: your opponent can anti air you for free damage (and possible follow up with ultra)
lastly: you lose control of your character giving all options to your opponent. well all but 1: that is you can still press an attack button but there it ends. now you: yeah so why should i care if i lose control of my character for just a second? well when you start out with the game there doesnt seem to be much to care about indeed but when you advance in the game you will see that everything you want to do will be muted once you jump. thats poking, playing footsies, zoning, etc. also if you do jump and your opponent doesnt you will not only take all those things away from yourself but you will give your opponent the advantage because he DOES still have those options! and i’m not even talking about the fact that he can simply anti-air you and land a devastating combo.

just like mashing: there will be moments when jumping in will be a viable strategy but you will start seeing those moments when you advance in the game so for now: DONT!

random ultra: this too is very tempting because if you land it, you will do massive damage and possibly turn the game around or even win it.
ok I’m a bit in dubio here because doing random ultra’s MIGHT help develop your yomi. but only that hypothesis does in no way beat all the disadvantages i’m gonna state below.
1st: ok lets say you are almost dead, your opponents is at 50% life and you decide to throw out an ultra thinking: well maybe he will walk into it. and pang, he had already thrown out a move so yes he get’s hit by the ultra and you kill him: wooopiiee you won!!! but why did you win? because you were the better player? well technicly you WERE the better player because you beat him and he was too stupid to not expect the random ultra. you did it you beat him fair and square and he has NOTHING to complain about. however you must realise that you played a gambling game here. you won because you guessed a gamble with a very low winning percentage and you guessed right. did you learn anything from it (besides MAYBE devolop some yomi)? just like with mashing i’ll let you answer this one yourself.
2nd: just like i said above with a random ultra you take a gamble with a very low win percentage. the reward for winning is pretty high (up to around 50% damage) however the punishment for losing is at LEAST just as high if not even higher. because your opponent can for example land his own ultra with a 100% winning chance doing the 50% damage himself or he can do another devastating combo, gaining meter, knocking you down and putting you in the corner leaving you at a very big disadvantage.

using stand-alone(not-during-combo) special moves: this is very tempting because special moves seem to have a lot of advantages compared to normal moves.
well maybe I shouldnt say stand-alone special moves but rather say: dont use special moves without good reason. (because they look cool is NOT a good reason :p) i corrected myself here because many (especially charge) characters have many special moves that are rather safe when used correctly, even when they are not done during a combo.
1st and formost: because many specialy moves are unsafe on block meaning that if your opponent blocks your special move he can then punish you with a very damaging combo himself. to put it in the poker terms: lets say I want to throw out Ken’s heavyshoryuken, is personally estimate the chance of actually hitting your opponent pretty high: about 50% chance since it beats almost everything except blocking and if I land it i do 140 damage! pretty good huh? but wait if i miss my opponent can punish me with a basic but strong combo of about 200 damage or even do his ultra for 500 damage! so if i do a random hp.srk I risk 200-500 damage versus 140 damage reward in a 50/50 gamble…not so smart you see. it MIGHT work! it might even work for a round long giving you a win. but the chance that that happens is REALY small.
2nd: you restrict yourself from learning the very basic structure of this game. street fighter is not built on ultra moves, its not about super moves, its not even about special moves. those are all just very impressive structures that are built on a foundation of normal moves. THAT is what this game is built on! and just like in real life, if you built a skyscraper on a marshy ground, your skyscraper will crumble. however if you build it on solid rock…then your skyscraper will stand tall and proud. in short you must understand that you need to learn normal moves before you can learn when and how to use special moves.

now onto the next thing:

what SHOULD you do when you are just starting out?

DO

the best thing i can advice is BEFORE you go and actually play the game go into training mode so you can practice the basics and get good quick. I suggest that you do it in this specific order as much as possible.
in this light all the first suggestions are in training mode until i state otherwise

learn this combo: jumped heavy kick, crouching heavy kick. this seems very opposite of what i said earlier, about NOT jumping in on people, also do not get me wrong this is a combo that is hardly used in high level gameplay…so why should you learn it?
1st: its all about timing. you need to learn when to press a button when you jump and when you land, you need to learn the distance you can jump, you need to learn the time you (and consequently your oppent if he jumps) are in the air you need to learn the very basics of this game. this will help you with that. be sure however to press the heavykick button ONLY twice, once while you’re in the air, once while you’re on the ground. DO NOT MASH THE BUTTON!

learn dashing.
why?
dashing can be pretty tricky at first but you will find that dashing has many uses. you can surprise your opponent by getting in fast. you need to dash during a focus attack (both when you release it as when you dont) you need to be able to back dash out of harms way if the situation arises.

learn special moves. but YOU SAID I SHOULDN’T DO STAND ALONE SPECIAL MOVES!
so why should you learn it?
to get the feeling of doing any special move input at will at any given moment without failing and without mashing. after you learn your normal moves, special moves are the next step so might as well get used to them immediatly. DO NOT MASH!

learn many MANY (grounded) two hit combos. (or rather two input combo since some moves hit twice)
why? to get you used to canceling moves (again DO NOT MASH) for Ken for example learn his c.mk xx hadoken. this is even at high level play a very important combo and in many situations safe.

learn pokes!
go to the internet, find a good forum like 2dfighters.net or shoryuken.com and find your characters best pokes. go into training go over to your dummy and you just one poke and do it over and over again so you can learn the range of it, the speed of it and the effect of it.

learn non-jumped overheads
learn these so you can hurt crouching players without the need to throw and also to mix up your game

learn crossups.
first what is a cross up? ok lets say character A is defending and character B is attacking. in this example the pink-ken is character B. if B attacks A blocks by holding back, in this case LEFT.

however if B was to jump OVER A and attack B can not block by pressing left anymore because now B is just on the other side of A so now A needs to hold RIGHT in order to block! this attack that B does is called a cross up.

learn to be character B
why? because its hard to decide which way to block for your opponent making it a bigger chance that he guesses wrong giving you a bigger possibilty to land a good combo. and if he blocks there is virtually no risk. so high gain low risk situation. (for Ken his best cross up move is jumped mediumkick as shown in the examles)

learn to block crossups.
the next thing you should learn is how to block a cross up. ok i’ll be honest with you, the best way to learn it is from real match experience. however you can still get a headstart in training and this is how:
set your dummy to record, let it jump forward do a crossup move then wait a few moments before pressing start again. press start and set the dummy to replay recorded inputs. position yourself at a distance that you think makes the dummy crossup. the dummy jumps and try to block. if the dummy hits your front you know you (or actually the dummy) were standing too far away, if it jumped over you and missed you completely you (or actually the dummy) were standing too close. if the dummy hit you in the back of your neck you know you were positioning good. be sure to try to block both the cross up AND the jump in! this way you will learn the positioning of a cross up (both attacking as defending) and you learn how to block it if its ever done to you.

learn link combos. this is probably the most timeconsuming part because link combo’s take real timing to learn therefor i suggest you start by some easy links. (go to a forum again and find what the easiest links for your character is) for ken I suggest you learn c.lp, s.lp, c.mk since this isnt too hard to do (believe me you WILL find it hard when you just start out)
why? this is the basic foundation of doing safe combo’s into special or supermoves.

learn hit-confirming link combos into special moves. you finaly ready to learn some real combos? yes you’re finaly up to the task!!!
why should i learn it? well you want to use that special move yes? and you dont want all the risk involed no? well by learning to hitconfirm you will learn how to safely combo into a special move.
for shoto users i suggest you first learn c.lk, c.lp xx srk

find out what you characters anti-air normal and special moves are (again on the internet) and learn to do them. set the dummy to record, make him jump in with heavy kick wait a few seconds before pressing start again the set it to playback and try to anti air him everytime.

this wraps up the basic training mode part. so you’re finaly ready to actualy start learning the game. this is where the fun realy begins!
take your newly learned skills out there, take them to show them to other players, take them to actually put them to work, take them so you can get your ass kicked. I say this because I want you to know that up to this point you have actually learned much about the game. however what you did learn is some very good tools to start doing so now! so I wanted you to know that I dont want to disapoint you when you go into battle with all your tricks and high morale and see that its actually very hard to make them work.

how do I know I control any of these things good enough to use in a match?
if you can consistently pull something of in training mode 10 times in a row without failing once you’re ready to do it in a match.

so what should you do now?

ok go into battle, resist all the urges I posted in the ‘what-not-to-do’ part and try to hit your opponent with your pokes. try to move in the exact position where you will actually hit them. you can even extend the poke by cancelling it into a two hit combo (like kens c.mp xx hadoken).
if you and your opponent are standing very close try to chose between throwing, blocking, poking, overheads and a two-hit-combo and do something else everytime! this is called mixing up.
if your opponent is on the ground try to get the right spacing for a cross up and CROSS HIM UP! after the cross up go directly into the hitconfirming combo that you have learned and if you see that your crossup hit end the combo with a special move or when your opponent blocked just STOP your combo and go into the throw/block/poke/overhead/2hitcombo mix up again.
if your opponent jumps in at you try to anti-air him. it does not matter if you get hit a lot at first just keep trying to do it. you will lose many games because your AA was too late or too early or just missed completely but eventually you will do an anti-air as a reflex when you see your opponent jump forward from a certain distance and when you reach THAT. believe me than it has been worth all those lost games, all those frustrating moments where you knew you were better than your opponent but he just kept hitting you with a jump in and you missed your AA.

rinse and repeat this sequence.

I AM SORRY SIR BUT I AM TO LAZY TO FIRST GO INTO TRAINING MODE! so what to do in a match already!?

if you haven’t gone into training mode first to learn the basics what should you do when you go into a match right away? ok this has its advantages and its disadvantages.
its advantage is that you dont get frustrated that you are spared the frustration of seeing the newly learned skills not give you the godlike results you were hoping for.
its disadvantage is that you’re not fitted with the best tools to steepen your learning curve and in the long run you won’t be as good as you could have been. also the training-mode skills would have given you concrete learning objectives namely: putting them correctly to work in an actual match consistently.

so you enter a match: first off I strongly suggest, no I URGE you to resist all the urges I posted in the ‘what-not-to-do’ part! if you have the discipline to keep yourself to that you have already won a lot of time. but we both know that those are what not to do’s.
these are the do’s: start out by only using your normal attacks and your unique attacks (unique attacks are normal attacks that are character specific like Ken’s f.mk a.k.a. his stepkick) do not try to do special moves the first 20 matches! realy don’t it doesn’t matter if you lose all of them, will want to get good asap and losing is part of that.
after about 20 matches you select one of your characters special moves and only 1! now you will try to use that on top of your normal moves for 10 more matches. then you pick another special and use that too for 10 more matches then another until you’ve learned all special moves.
when you’re at this point I suggest that you take another look at this guide and give the training mode another try anyway.

so you’ve learned the basics, congratulations! up to the next stage!
you have learned how to effectively put the basics to use without falling prey to easy but bad habbits. now its time to start learning how you can get more efficiency out of your character.
this requires you to go (back to) the lab (informative internet sites/forums and training mode) and find out some stuff and concequently learning to do it.
1 your characters strongest punishing combo without using meter
2 your characters strongest punishing combo with using super meter
3 your characters strongest punishing combo with using both super and ultra meter
4 your characters strongest punishing combo overal
5 your characters easiest ways to combo into super
6 your characters easiest ways to combo into ultra
7 focus attack dash canceling (if you hadn’t already done that)
8 your characters basic gambits and shenanigans (like Ken’s airEXtatsu usage, his karathrow etc)
9 by now you have encountered a lot of single moves to which you have no answer (yet) this is the moment to go into training mode make the dummy to that specific move and find out what you can do against it.

you’ve learned to do all those things in trainingmode?
ok then from this point you are allowed to jump in on your opponents and perform stand-alone special moves (as long as its not a mindless special)
in short you can go all out on your opponents as long as you keep yourself from the mashing and random ultra’s. go out there and play many many people. eventually you will notice that you are evolving, you are changing you start seeing things in the game that havent seen before you start predicting your opponents choices, you start to feel when you can press a certain button and when not etc., reactions are automated and you start to feel when you should attack and when you should slow down the game. when you reach that point. its time for you to take the next step: let’s get you to intermediate level play! from here on my job is done and you should venture on your own. go into the lab and find out what things like footsies and plinking are. go to you tube and watch different tutorial vids, go to the strategy guides that are for medium to high level players like the cross-counter guide made by Ryan Gutierrez and Mike Ross. also it’s time to get a better grasp of footsies and spacing (which is very nicely explained by Air in cross-counters guide to Ryu video) I will put links to many of these things at the bottom of this post.

one other thing you can do at this point (this was suggested by Grand Master Adon 7 a.k.a. Raziel_Sinister and I agree with him since I’ve had the same experience so credits to him for this): when you seem to reach a ceiling with your current character it can be smart to pick up a totaly different character and start over from scratch. learn his basics evolve with him learn a total different way of playing. this can cause you to find different solutions to the same problems, it can let you see a different site of a situation, can give new and refreshing idea’s about certain gameplays etc. I personally had this when I wasn’t improving with Ken anymore and started using Guy in Super sf4. after I learned Guy I noticed that I had also improved with Ken!

Legend and terminology

cr. = Crouching
cl. = Close Standing
st. = Far Standing
f. = Hold towards opponent
b. = Hold backwards from opponent
K/lk = Light Kick
MK/mk = Medium Kick
HK/hk = Heavy Kick
LP/lp = Light Punch
MP/mp = Medium Punch
HP/hp = Heavy Punch
EX = Uses one stock of EX Meter
FA = Focus Attack
FADC = Focus Attack Dash Cancel. Uses two stock of EX Meter
, = Link or next move
j. = jumping
nj. = neutral jump
xx = cancel/cut short attack animation prematurely by next special move
Poke: A quck and often safe attack that’s difficult to counter. this is almost always a normal move.
safe attack: a move that cannot be punished if blocked.
link: timing the ending animation of one move so that the next ove you do comes out at the precise moment the other ends, resulting in a combo
Zoning: trying to get yourself (or your opponent) into a certain area in the stage that is to your tactical advantage.
overhead attack: an attack performed on the ground that must be blocked high
qcf: quarter circle forward/d, df, f/down, downforward, forward
qcb: quarter circle back/d, db, b/ down, downback, back
crossup/cross up: an attack that makes the other fighter need to block in reverse direction than they would normally have to (more detailed explanation above in the “DO” part

useful links:

Cross Counters Guide to beating your friends: http://www.scribd.com/doc/58567394/The-Cross-Counter-Guide-to-Beating-Your-Friends-By-Gootecks
(thanks to DjAntman for your direct link!)

Cross Counter Guide to Ryu: http://crosscounter.tv/the-cross-counter-guide-to-ryu/

Sirlin’s website: http://www.sirlin.net
some very VERY good stuff with very good articles and views on street fighter written bij sirlin

Sirlin’s playing to win article: http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
can also be found on Sirlin’s site but this one deserved special attention imo.

ok that is the end of the beginners guide (untill i decide to change or add some stuff) i hope you guys enjoyed reading this and most importantly actually find this useful. let me know what you think and if there are any tips or suggestions let me know. very much love from your Santaclaus/CorridorsOfTime

wow i just saw Tbirds basic video guide to sf4. thats seriously great! I will put a link to that one as well

Yep, this has very useful information for beginners who want a plan to progress. It just needs some editing for proper grammar and punctuation…

Don’t look at me, i’m on vacation :stuck_out_tongue:

great! thank you very much for that link!

You sure like using a lot of words for something so simple. The first part is just talking about how you like the game, the second part is just saying don’t randomly press buttons or jump into the air, the third part is just saying you have to find out how to do combos. Your advice is to accept many loses and learn from it, that isn’t good advice from a teacher.

lol ok thanks for the input but how would you have rather seen it then? I dont agree with you yet because I think you dont fully understand what I mean by everything stated yet but I came here for advice so I’m happy for any tips and maybe it turns out you were right and I need to edit the guide :slight_smile:

i definetly don’t agree with the myself talking about how i like the game though since i dont see myself doing that anywhere :slight_smile:

Don’t hold me as a valid judge or anything but I have to say I really enjoyed reading it (aside from the lack of some editing and stuff but I’ll let it slide) and would definitely take a lot of this to heart back when I was first getting into fighters. I’m still trying to fight those urges, Santa. :smiley: As for the guide itself, with some structuring, editing and maybe remove some unnecessary stuff (you be the judge, it’s your work) I believe it will help a lot of fresh players.

Anything in particular? You can tell a person to go fishing and learn from his mistakes or you can teach him how to fish and do it correctly the first time. Of course input is important but that’s just elementary. As someone else said mind games, mindset whatever you call it is the next thing.

Projectiles
Common Use/ When your close enough to the other person they can’t jump over the projectile in time, around medium kick distance has a high chance of hitting or will force the other person to block. Sometimes use ex projectile to hit the other person trying to do the same thing or will often create pressure since they took an ex chip damage.

Far enough that they will jump over the projectile but you’ll be able to hit them on their way down a tad past sweep distance, hardly anyone jumps straight up due to being harder to avoid a projectile that way, often the best time to use a triple projectile.

At the corner, if you space yourself at the right distance to where by the time the projectile hits that by the end of their block stun or hit stun your able to use another projectile you can easily get a two hit combo with just projectiles or if they are blocking you can constantly keep using projectiles pretty much non stop unless they do something about it either jumping etc.

Projectile defense
Common Options/ Close range, no one ever uses a projectile while stepping forward. If they take a slight step back or pause at a close distance it means they are going to use a special move or baiting. That brief stop is to not mix up movement with input. Better players tend to mask it with a light punch or something so there isn’t movement but that also leaves them open for a counter hit. Even if they use light punch it doesn’t mean they’ll use a projectile, they could easily use crouching heavy punch as anti air if you jump too early. The best defense would be being close enough to hit before they can use a projectile or far enough to jump on reaction to cross up.

When further back jumping over a projectile, if it’s against Dhalism just jump over the projectile kick as your landing will hit his punches then walk backwards so Dhalism is out of your range. Also when jumping after Dhalism jump as he is falling downwards so when you jump your attacks are higher and will hit his punches on your way down if he uses any. If your character has a dive kick or something make use of it when further back so there’s less air time for you to get punished. If there’s that much distance where the projectile is coming at you but you wont jump until the other person is able to attack again just dash backwards then jump over it. Or if it’s an ex you can probably even jump backwards to avoid it.

There are other things but go figure. Here’s a guide on focus attack others liked.

( Make a guide that doesn’t tell a person what to do or what something is but how they can do it so they can make the most use of a situation and be able to have good defense when dealing with it. )

Distance and speed changes all the time based on the other player but it’s always the same moves you learn from tutorial.

Another thing.

Baiting
Some options/ Something as simple as repeating a move in a row. It could be something as ridiculous as pressing crouch two times then using a projectile, and only crouch when using a projectile so when you do it again at the same speed they think your going to use a projectile and you get a free hit from their stupidity as they jump over simply because they saw you crouching two times.

Doing the motion of an uppercut without pressing the attack button, if they block gives you a good chance to grab them. If they use an uppercut your in block and could easily punish them.

Moving back and forward, I often crouch in-between, since medium attacks are slower don’t typically have much range most will use sweep kick. Keep in mind you shouldn’t use the same distance. Moving will often force you to stop when your being attacked so it gives you better reaction and you know that if the other person is going to attack it’s most likely going to be when your moving forward. When the other person thinks your going to move back you can get in easier by simply still moving forward probably get a free grab even. Crouching is a better illusion and it’s better to block crouching when moving.

( There’s much more, there isn’t a way to win but give us advice on how to increase your chances of winning. Don’t just say something but give detail, pick any subject. Though I played a lot of matches and I tend to win a lot so pretty confident not to mention everything makes sense and is very reasonable. )

ok you convinced me in a way! thank you very much for your input =) i now see your point even though I think that most of what you said is simply the next level i refered to (like the cross counter guide which explains exactly what you just said) or rather character specific, while this guide is directed to people who litterally just picked up a fighting game for the first time to players that can finaly grasp the guides and articles provided by gootecks and sirlin etc. i will still use some of what you said and review the guide though.

thank you for your the input man! i see what you mean on the unnecessary stuff, the intro talk right? i’ll look into it and into some gramar editing too hahaha

Don’t forget if you want to have an advantage over the other guy you have to know longer combos, by god there are a lot of combo videos on this site.

Did learning from your mistakes kill your whole family or something? If there wasn’t any tangible worth from doing this, then nobody would be imposing it on newbs in the first place. From an analytical approach, you point out any mistakes you did in an online match by watching a replay of it. It’s literally right there in front of your eyes. You make learning from losses sound superficial. Besides, it’s unavoidable that a newbie will lose a lot anyway. Starting out, he shouldn’t worry about whether he wins or loses, just getting better.

Heres a great video that helped me a lot in the past. He also has a complete web channel that explains everything in full detail. If he dosent the he accepts emails as well. Great guy to talk to.

[media=youtube]jMJ18Eo-q1o[/media]

It’s not necessary to use a hostile tone. How old is street fighter? No one learns the ABCs by trail and error. Also that FADC video only talks about canceling out for a longer combo.

i just posted that one up. The guy that makes those has many other covering many other things. Personally i think that they are done really well. And yes he does show you that but the point of the video is to show you how to FADC then ways to build on it.

It feels that you put a lot of heart into it and that’s what has obviously gotten me to appreciate it. I guess one of the things you need to look out for if there is too much information being dispensed or if you are just sounding like you are rambling. You are probably the best judge for such things as you are the one who knows exactly what you want to convey to your readers.

Sorry for sounding hostile. :stuck_out_tongue:

You get better by practicing the things you are weak in. If getting your ass handed to you is an inevitability for a new player, why shouldn’t you accept your losses? And studying a match replay that you lost is still technically learning.

wow

yep i’ll give some pointers in some general subjects but i do not want to get into too specific things since that is not the goal of this guide. specific match up info and strategies are supposed to be found in those sections (like character subforums)

thanks man i apreciate that. you have any specific sections you’re talking about? i’ll edit the guide after the weekend with some stuff

everybody thank you very much for your input and reactions, keep them comming and i’ll review the guide next week :slight_smile: <3