Struggling to get past the basics

Hi,

New to the site so i hope i dont come across stupid or anything, ive been a fan of fighting games for years, love watching them but never really played them too often, ive invested in a SFxT arcade stick to try learn how to play them and enjoy them, ive started with SF4 and ive got the AE upgrade too. Ive watched a few videos on the basics, and picked ryu as a lot of them say that this is a good character to start learning, ive learnt the basics with him, but struggling to learn anything complex, the most complex combo i can pull off most the of time is the Ex tatsu into ultra 1 combo, the odd poke DP combo too.

Ive played quite a few games online (starting from zero points) and the highest ive been able to get to is 600PP, all the players im now hitting seem to be pulling off combos and so on but im struggling to progress.

Anyone got any tips on this? I dont expect to be any kind of amazing player, id be happy playing at a level of skill which meant im competent enough to compete online at a decent level :slight_smile:

I know im a bit of a newbie but any help is appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

I suggest just hitting training mode to get the muscle memory to do the combos. In my personal experience, I used to think Sakura’s combos were an absolute hell, when I read the inputs I just remember myself flipping out and saying “goddamn I’ll never be able to do that”. Here’s the thing though, you have to break down the combos into sections and practice every section of the combo individually until you can “put it all together”.

Now, once you feel confortable with the combos, hit some endless lobbies and try to land them, it will be hard at first, but eventually you’ll be getting the hang of it, gotta be patient!

I wish I could help more, but I’m still quite a crappy player, a C+ Sakura that gets beaten by almost everybody on ranked :stuck_out_tongue:

PS: Don’t forget to study the footsies handbook! http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

Been playing around in training mode, and i seem to be really struggling with things like DP, i cant get the motion every time, and the ultras, i seem to either miss time them, or i feel like im mashing them a little, im going to record some stuff to hopefully give the forum an idea and hopefully get some tips :slight_smile:

Ok this is the first video, a basic Shoryuken, however i miss it a few times, and looking at the input my execution looks like its everywhere :frowning:

Second is a shinku hadouken again feel like im mashing it, ive done it thousands of times and dont feel like im improving at all

Execution takes time to build. You don’t merely need to memorize the steps of a process, but also allow your brain to control the process without conscious effort.

In my own experience, basic performance of special moves became easy after a few days of practice. Trickier things like cancelling specials into an ultra juggle or landing basic combos became relatively easy after a few weeks of practicing those things. Difficult things like performing 1 frame links and plinking became easy after several months of very consistent daily practice.

The thing is doing raw double qcf motion and cancelling a special/normal to super isn’t the same motion at all.

when doing it in combo the first qcf is usually done by the previous special (fireball or srk) all you need in fact is doing another fireball motion plus up forward :uf:

Nobody does qcf punch + double cqf ppp. maybe that’s your problem. You don’t know yet how special can be buffed into others. 2 in ones, etc.

Just a thought…
And if you’re new in this forum you have a hell lot to read and learn that will change your vision of this game.
Last input, there’s sticks and sticks. I played a year with a Te round 2, never really played FG before and if so, with pad.
But I saved easily 6 months of execution hard work when I bought a Fighting Edge.
So maybe your hands could be better with another stick touch. Try another one ?

For the two shoryukens you failed to do, you did not input a forward before quarter circle forward. Just look at your inputs. Also, you can make the dummy quick rise so you can practice this faster.

For the missed shinku and metsu hadokens your first quarter circle was just a down forward, not a quarter circle. I don’t know why you say you’re mashing, those input looks clean, I guess you’re just not familiar with the speed that these moves require.

To practice try inputting them as slowly as possible. Try to do a shoryuken and metsu hadoken as slowly as possible, this may help you overcome the rushed sense that you are feeling.

I wasnt aware the second QCF buffered so thanks for that :slight_smile: ive seen some of the posts on this section that im going to read when i get the time, probably at the weekend so hopefully thatll give me some information that i dont know :slight_smile: As for the sticks, ive tried a couple, ive got a SFxT Fightstick Pro, ive tried the UMvC Stick and also a hori stick, but to be honest unless im missing something, i didnt really notice much of a feel difference? I just prefer mine as its a bit bigger so i can rest my wrists on it. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Ill give that a go thanks, to be fair, i just feel like im mashing the inputs, possibly because im not used to inputting on an arcade stick im not sure, ive only really been playing this solidly a few weeks, prior to that I was always really a tekken player with a pad and just had the arcade stick sitting there for the odd occasional play.

Is SF4 the best game to learn the basics on? Ive got 3rd Strike, SFxT and UMvC3, all were bought really for when people come over.

Just be patient, as you get more comfortable on the stick youll begin to get more comfortable with inputs and eventually everything will seamlessly blend together. Execution, footsies, and reactions will combine into one smooth coherent river that you can channel and use to body all who cross your path!!!

But really, everybody has been were you are at some point. Set goals for yourself. Feel like your mashing fireballs? Go to training room and throw a few fireballs slowly and calmly (dont even look at your inputs, as long as you get the fireball its fine). Same goes for all other moves. Once you get all these moves down decently move onto the next step, basic combos (in this case its simply ryu’s crouching medium kick -> hadouken). Once you get here its just about learning matchups and before you know it tada! top 32 at evo.

Just make sure you dont get to frustrated. Most important thing to make sure of is that you are enjoying yourself :slight_smile:

I watched this video and I think you are a better player than you think. You have a nice defense and the majority of your games are close. As said before; time is needed to learn how to input commands correctly and then begin stringing them together in a way you feel comfortable. I assume you know, but fighting games take time to develop skill. Take your few weeks you have been playing and turn it into 3 to 6 months. Over time you will adjust and become a better player.

I would advise spending time on 3rd Strike as I personally feel its the better game to learn on. (It boils down to personal opinions and what I feel, 3rd Strike is the true 2D beat em up from original SFII) I can’t comment on UMVsC as I still haven’t bought them yet but I believe it may be too hectic and the combos/air juggling may be even harder to grasp(?). I’m sure you know how to use an emulator why not give past SF II series and Alpha series a go. Practically everything stays the same so you can use Ryu without losing skill in IVAE. Though you may get disorientated jumping from one game to another and returning to IV. (and if you haven’t give Ken, Segat, Sakura, Dan, Akuma, and Gouken a go as they are all Shotokan players, Akuma, and Gouken may be more difficult to grasp without practice. Your probability well aware Ryu, Ken Sakura and cough Dan are all almost a like).

Again as said hit training, know in your head what move to preform, and do it slowly pushing the stick and buttons in order, all about practice. One thing I found helpful myself is having a friend play vs you. My friend spanks me in every single game we play and I never expect to win, but I don’t care as he has been consistently playing fighting games on every system imaginable. Playing vs someone constantly that will go round after round with you can help build you as a better player, you can watch how someone reacts and counter it yourself, you can try and map out a play style vs someone thus improving your timing and pattern all live in game, without having to jump from one person to the next. Though that is also a good thing as well. I never meant to type half of this, but the more you think about a fighting game the deeper it can become and understand that its not an overnight learning curve.

Thank you for the positive comments :slight_smile: Ive been doing an hour or so a night practicing at the moment, a few ranked matches too, and i am feeling a little more confident in match ups, some combos im still not getting, but like you say i think I will get it over time :slight_smile:

Its good to see theres some players out there willing to help new players, all I see from the public part of the FGC around the world (especially on twitter etc) is a lot of the better players moaning about other players, not many of them post anything of any use to help new players, however this site, some of the previous posts and your comments above have really helped me, so thanks all :slight_smile:

This should help. This page will give you all the know how, terms and other stuff.http://www.option-select.com/strategy/article/?a=12

Execution is just another skill that takes practice and experience to build.

The technique I used for practicing SRKs when I first transitioned to a japanese style stick was to stand on one end of the screen and perform light punch SRKs till I reached the other side. If I messed up I went back the start. When I reached the other end of the screen I did the same thing going the other way.

Here’s what I do to train:

Clean up your inputs by practicing with your left hand only. Look at inputs to make sure no extraneous inputs are registered during special moves. Do not use your right hand during this phase. Practice 30 minutes of this daily. Vary practice by starting from different positions instead of neutral. Stick with this for a week to get muscle memory.

After 1 week, your muscle memory for left hand should be decent. Add in right hand button press to get moves out. Repeat process for 1 week.

After that, work on combos one at a time until consistent.

Daily training is key. 30 min. max training per session. 15 min. rest in between sessions.

Just do special moves around 100 times per day you’ll be fine in a month

I think another thing that helps is comparing your gameplay to the best Ryu’s. And asking,"What are they doing that I’m not, or what is different here?"
I also feel endless battles are the best place to learn not ranked. Because you can hammer out more games faster and rematch someone after you have adapted to their play style. I like to have a 2 player endless lobby and after about 3-7 games kick them to get another person in, rinse and repeat.

Start playing on a pad and then move on to stick

when having problems with a motion, combo or setup, i firstly learn how to perform it, then see if you can repeat to times in a row from both sides. examples can be the srk motion, or fireball or the FADC (focus attack dash cancel).

Also try to learn ryu basic playstyle ie: controlling ground space with crouching medium kick and fireball and air space with shoryuken and crouching heavy punch.