Style In Playing & It's Importance...?

While grinding Endless and Ranked matches, I played several Seths and they were mostly Clones (pun intended) in the sense that they played nearly the exact same way.
This prompted me to wonder if style has any importance at high level play.
While I realize there are different ways to play each character with some having more variety than others, does one have to play Ryu like Daigo or Valle, or Guy like Kiryu and Otinhoso to win?
Or do we all develop our own styles as we learn characters?
Basically, I guess I’m asking if I have to clone my play after a high level player to win, or are there possibilities to win at high level with our own style of playing the character?

Not so much about cloning things as just finding things that work. This kind of question comes up in the land of MtG a lot and the answer is ever the same: The game/format is limited, we want to win, some things work better than others, Internet and copycatting or not, the good people end up doing the things that work eventually, more or less. There’s room for personal variation, definitely, and you opponent’s tendencies can give new avenues for approach. But being unique for it’s own sake just isn’t worth it if you want to win.

Simple algorithm to getting better:

1. Does this work/Does it seem like this would work?
  2. Do I enjoy doing it/Would I enjoy doing it?
  3. Do it!/Learn it!
  4. Have fun AND win.

Huh, that’s actually kinda an interesting question. I wonder if at the heart of things there’s actually such a thing as a style for chars or whether there’s a technically correct style of play. I originally considered myself a very aggressive player - but as time goes on more and more I play more neutral. I think Ryu shows the most differentiation, with Valle being more aggressive and Air being much more methodical, but there’s still significant overlap since they’re both stellar Ryu’s. Reminds me of Sirlin thing about styles and how it ends on a ‘one true style’ offensive when you oughta, defensive when you oughta - which I tend to agree with. I personally feel that there is a ‘correct’ way to play - there are doubtlessly nuances, but I figure they’re small compared to overall gameplay.

This topic seems like it would be a kinda fun thing to play around with in FGD

You usually end up mimicking or x-copying someone else’s style, like a top player. This will get you to an intermediate level, but beyond that, you really have to start learning how to utilize a solid sense of fundamentals in a match, while developing your own play style.

Some prefer to play aggressive, others extreme turtley, some are reactionary, others do well to adapt, others follow a flow-chart to victory, etc etc.

This is a funny question, considering they have a different style.

Imo that prize goes to Juri.

Just look at top level players and see how they play differently. Watch 5 Zangiefs and each has a very different style - of course you can differentiate from that again and be good. Of course some things plain don’t work (Rushdown Dhalsim) or are stupid as heck (Not using c.MK as Ryu), but a lot of tendencies can still be incorporated in your playstyle, and given the complexity of the game, it’s basically impossible to decide which is best. Does your Ryu save meter for Super, do you SRK FADC a lot, or do you spend it on ExFireballs, fishing for those counterhits into Tatsu? Styles of players even evolve; eg Tokido nowadays often chooses to go for less damaging combos which deal a significant amount of stun instead.

The only thing when discovering your playstyle you should never ever do is becoming a hardcore hipster. “Everyone does this, and I know it’s good, but I don’t want to do it because everyone does so” is a no-go. If you play your game and someone says “Bah you’re a fuckin carbon copy of <Player X>”, just smile and continue (and in case you didn’t know said player yet, be sure to check out his replays since they’re likely to help you a ton).

Steal as much as you can. The goal is to win, putting limiters on yourself by saying I know this is a good setup but xyz does it so I won’t you will never be really good. There really is no way to be a clone of an elite player everyone is different at that level. I can try as hard as I want to be snake eyes or aquasilk I will never be them.

Style is important as some characters can be played differently in various situations, but may setups are going to be similar. With that being said your ability to use them correctly to fit the situation as well as the methods used to achieve x setup are all on you, but there are great ways to do so demonstrated by top players and should be observed and taken into consideration.

Style isn’t something new players should be overly concerned with. Early on it’s a lot more important to learn to play by the numbers, learn matchups, etc.

It’s only when you really understand the rules that you should start to consider breaking them.

It depends on the game. Games where the characters have less tools to work with (like SF4 for instance), there will eventually become a “proper” way to play certain characters.

Games like Guilty Gear, CvS2, and even Third Strike are going to offer more room for interpretation because the characters in those games have more than their own basic moves at their disposal.

I was contemplating throwing in the MtG reference, but not sure it would be understood by all.
During DS, 5D and CoK I was building a Snake deck w/ Artifact Assistance & needed to test it’s merits and my ability to play the deck in a pressure situation. I went to the tourney and went 2-3. I played a kid who was using the Tooth & Nail DS Colossus “netdeck” and lost.
I was thinking to myself, is this all this game is, Finding a deck on the net that you and 50 other people are using? Granted different people play the deck differently.

@Trouble Brewing. I definitely see the wisdom in your advice. Without the foundational knowledge, any attempt at “style” will most likely end in foolish/unnecessary risks.

@Raas - Yeah I wasn’t sure if I would get serious answers in FGD, but perhaps the mods can transfer this one there.

@Docta… Definitely a good post. Do KOF13 characters have more tools? I have only played it once against someone else playing it for the first time.
I presume BB is in the same light as GG…

Thank you man, good thread!

Far as KoF13 goes, I’m going to initially have to say no. Obviously BlazBlue has a lot of offensive and defensive tools built into the game that every character has access to, and Third Strike’s parry can be something of a “great equalizer” in some matchups. But KoF13’s Evade and GCA or GCR don’t seem like powerful enough tools to make up for the fact that certain characters just can’t compete as well with other characters toolsets. Of course, I’ve only been playing the game for a little over a month, so take what I say about it with a grain of salt as it’s really just my personal observation. But who knows. With a game like that that doesn’t get as much coverage as a game like SF4, there might be a little more room for interpretation.

Personal Observations/Experiences are what I’m hoping to learn when I post threads like this. The facts and definitive evidence will always need to be reviewed, embraced and absorbed, yet it is the personal accounts of each individual’s gameplay experiences that gives rise to evolutions in gaming.

@bp amoco: You are most correct. I can try to mimic a top level player in every way, but ultimately, my own style w/ the character will surface. Thank you for enlightening me/us with that perspective.

Understanding your playstyle, your strengths and weaknesses and taylor your character choices to your style will give you the best bang for your buck.

I agree totally, but unfortunately new players usually don’t understand any of these things. This sort of analysis gets a lot more useful when players reach intermediate level.

valle plays differently from daigo. krone plays different from latif.

Very true. You almost have to play a bunch of different games and see how you apply yourself to each game.