Survey about Fighting Games - Contributions Appreciated

Hello,

I would like to ask a few questions related to fighting games and repetition in fighting games which I might use for my Master Thesis.

Also if possible (if you don’t mind going through the trouble) feel free to let your friends know about this survey and ask them to answer the following questions.

Thank you. I also might do another survey depending on the number of people who took their time to take this survey.

Please copy/paste these questions in a new reply and answer in A# field.

Q1- Assume a fighting game with premade characters, with no multiplayer/online option. Do you find the game too repetitious/boring after you have mastered (learned all the moves and killed the last boss several times with ease) the game easily? Or do you continue playing? If yes why?

A1-

Q2- Assume a fighting game with multiplayer/online option, but with premade characters only. Do you find the game to be repetitious/boring if you frequently fight against the same character despite the fact the player is different? Please state why?

A2-

Q3- Would you prefer a fighting game in which you can create your own character with advanced customization tools to make the character as personal as possible to you – Or would you prefer premade characters you may be familiar with from previous versions (i.e. Ryu from SF Series) Please state why?

A3-

Q4- Would you prefer premade moves in a fighting game or would you like to customize and be able create your own moves? Please state why?

A4-

Q5- Would you prefer a character with same abilities throughout the entire game (such as characters in SF Series) or would you like to see character progress such as leveling up, choosing abilities and so on.?

A5-

**Q6- **Fighting games often keep story in the game itself to the minimum. Would you prefer seeing more storytelling in a fighting game or do you think it would be too much?

A6-

Q7- In a multiplayer/online fighting game; if you have mastered the game really well and you have not faced any challenging opponents for quite awhile, do you stop playing or do you enjoy easy opponents? Please state why?

A7-

Q8- Do you prefer challenging opponents or easy opponents in a fighting game. Please state why?

**A8- **

Q9- Do you find fighting games in general to be repetitive which eventually turns to be repetitious in short time?

A9-

Q10- If you think fighting games easily become repetitious, do you think adding character customization, move customization, story, character progress such as leveling up etc. would keep the game less repetitious? Which ones do you think would help the most? (Please note: Repetitive is not necessarily negative, repetitious is. With customization etc. a game can still have repetitive gameplay)

A10-

Your working on a Masters and using fighting games as part of your thesis? What kind of shitty degree are you working on?

I’m not using fighting games as subject for my thesis. I explore repetition, sequences of repetition in games, but see fighting games as a good platform to do survey on since it is highly based on repetitive gameplay and mastery. Fighting games are not the only genre I do this survey on either. Cheers for your concern about my degree though…

Q1- Assume a fighting game with premade characters, with no multiplayer/online option. Do you find the game too repetitious/boring after you have mastered (learned all the moves and killed the last boss several times with ease) the game easily? Or do you continue playing? If yes why?

A1- If the gameplay is sound, i continue playing… in versus mode. 1P gameplay and bosses are an extra, and are irrelevant in this kind of game.

Q2- Assume a fighting game with multiplayer/online option, but with premade characters only. Do you find the game to be repetitious/boring if you frequently fight against the same character despite the fact the player is different? Please state why?

A2- No.

Q3- Would you prefer a fighting game in which you can create your own character with advanced customization tools to make the character as personal as possible to you – Or would you prefer premade characters you may be familiar with from previous versions (i.e. Ryu from SF Series) Please state why?

A3- Premade is better, even if it’s a new series and i don’t know the characters yet.

I draw for a living, and even then, i prefer seeing original characters instead of mine. Creative process is fun for different reasons. Making a comic then reading it is not the same as reading a comic from somene else.

Q4- Would you prefer premade moves in a fighting game or would you like to customize and be able create your own moves? Please state why?

A4- Premade. Same.

Q5- Would you prefer a character with same abilities throughout the entire game (such as characters in SF Series) or would you like to see character progress such as leveling up, choosing abilities and so on.?

A5- Same. The idea of fighting games is you grow your skills through practice, not BS leveling-up.

**Q6- **Fighting games often keep story in the game itself to the minimum. Would you prefer seeing more storytelling in a fighting game or do you think it would be too much?

A6- Story mode is an extra. It’s just to accent the character’s personalities (“oh, this guy is bad-ass, i’ll use this one”). Ever seen two people playing versus? They skip the intros, victory lines, etc.

Q7- In a multiplayer/online fighting game; if you have mastered the game really well and you have not faced any challenging opponents for quite awhile, do you stop playing or do you enjoy easy opponents? Please state why?

A7- After considerable time winning easily, i give up. It’s not supposed to be easy.

Q8- Do you prefer challenging opponents or easy opponents in a fighting game. Please state why?

**A8- ** Someone of similar level or slightly above. It’s not supposed to be too easy, but if it is impossible, it gets frustating instead of enjoyable. If it’ hard but you see a light at the end of the tunnel, you keep playing, because you know you’ll get better.

Q9- Do you find fighting games in general to be repetitive which eventually turns to be repetitious in short time?

A9- No. The repetition is part of the game. Chess is pretty repetitive, too.

Q10- If you think fighting games easily become repetitious, do you think adding character customization, move customization, story, character progress such as leveling up etc. would keep the game less repetitious? Which ones do you think would help the most? (Please note: Repetitive is not necessarily negative, repetitious is. With customization etc. a game can still have repetitive gameplay)

A10- No. Completelly unnecessary. Customization is only acceptable if it’s aesthetical only. If it affects gameplay, it’s not a fighting game feature, it’s a gimmick.

1. AI is garbage, no
  2. All fighting game characters are premade?
  3. Sure I guess, if they could balance it. Which is impossible, so no.
  4. See #3
  5. lololololol no
  6. VN format like Blazblue has is decent, but other than that no, they’re crappy.
  7. Yes. I quit fighting games for a while and only came back due to the online feature.
  8. At my level of course. I don’t like rolling people 15 games straight (even though it happens), though I can put up with it happening to me (though 15 is pretty much my limit before I take a break I think)
  9. No
  10. Answered no to 9 so nope. If it was back in the old offline age where I had to drive an hour just to play someone then maybe.

A1- Yes, if the game is fun keep playing.

A2- No, competition would be a driving force despite the number of selectable characters.

A3- Premade Characters. Getting to know a character is more fun than just creating your own.

A4- Premade moves. Less likely to break the game and allow more competition.

A5- Same abilities. Working on one’s personal skill level with given abilities is more life friendly than earning abilities in many hours of play.

A6- More storytelling.

A7- Enjoy easy opponents. I love the opportunity to teach others.

**A8- ** Challenging opponents. The drive to improvement is worth it when you can count your scars at the top.

A9- No, there are numberless possibilities even against the AI.

A10- Story

A1- You mean Barbarian for the Commodore 64? Fighting games where only the fighting is against a computer opponent do quickly become boring - this happens long before moves and techniques are mastered.

A2- As there are no two people the same, the way two people use the same character is never exactly the same. There is no true repetition here for the most part.

A3- Yes. This is why I like Soul Calibur 4 so much. The reason is that I like playing dress up dolly in my video games and has nothing to do with the fighting game genre whatsoever.

A4- God no. The idea is to show your creativity and skill with the tools you are provided with, not to display your creativity and skill in making tools.

A5- God no. Even in platform or RPG type games, I get annoyed by not having all the tools I want available at the outset. It is particularly frustrating when one set of tools you have spent a lot of energy in using properly get superseded by another.

Q6- Fighting games often keep story in the game itself to the minimum. Would you prefer seeing more storytelling in a fighting game or do you think it would be too much?

A6- Story is good. You can never have too much story. Fighting game stories are more a quality problem than a *quantity *one though.

A7- A lack of challenging opponents is disheartening, but the biggest frustration is with a lack of challenging opponents that are willing to learn. If your opponent has the ability to adapt, the games can still be fun even when there is a wide skill gap.

A8- I prefer challenging opponents because the fun in the game comes from getting better. A little ego-stroking from smacking around people worse than you is nice from time to time but it gets old fast.

A9- Not if you play real people. Anyone serious about fighting games, or anything else competitive in nature, would not even ask this question. Competition between other people does not get old.

A10- Each question you ask screams “I know fuck-all about fighting games” and “I never competed seriously in anything in my life”. None of things you offer can come close to replacing the thing that truly keeps games fresh: People. As long as there are people to compete with, there is no repetitive gameplay.

A1-
No, I continue playing only Virtua Fighter in single player mode. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (PS2) and Virtua Fighter 5 version C (X360) have a single player mode that features A.I. that play the game on the same level as mid level human players. Also no one masters fighting games, especially Virtua Fighter. Mastering a fighting game would mean winning 100% of the time which isn’t going to happen against human opponents nor will it happen against Virtua Fighter’s A.I. in Quest Mode. Tekken 5 DRO also has ghost mode and the A.I. is better than any other game (but of course Virtua Fighter). Other than those three games (VF4EVO,VF5,T5DRO) most fighting games have awful single player A.I. and modes.

A2-
No. Starcraft only has three races and I could play that game forever. Chess has the same pieces every game and people play that forever. No match is ever the same in any of those games including fighters. I could play mirror matches or against the same characters in Virtua Fighter or Super Turbo for days on end. No match is ever the same and there is little room for repetition in fighting games like VF or ST.

A3-
No. No one can create a better cast of characters than Sega or Capcom in their main franchises. I want to see fighters with variety and balance. I don’t want Naruto vs Bill Clinton vs Hulk Hogan or whatever people can think of. Virtua Fighter and Tekken allow you to customize accessories and costumes but the character is always the same.

A4-
See above. If people are good enough to create moves for a character then Sega or Capcom would have hired them or they would have a professional job in video games. Odds are though that they aren’t. Sega and AM2 hire experts in all fields of martial arts to model the character designs for the VF series.

A5-
This is not an RPG it’s a fighting game. The only things that should change are costumes, like unlocking colors or alternate outfits or items.

A6-
Virtua Fighter is the deepest and most balanced fighting game series and it has almost zero emphasis on story. Street Fighter II is a top notch fighter, maybe the best 2D fighting game ever, I could not tell you a single thing about the story beyond the most well known basics. To casual fans story might matter, but these games start out as arcade games for competition, and not for story mode. If you are playing these games as fighting games (as they are meant to be played) then you are looking in the wrong place for story. Chess has no story mode.

A7-
With the internet and forums you could just go to VFDC or SRK and find endless quality opponents. This should never happen where you aren’t challenged by someone better than you.

**A8- **
Challenging opponents. Bad opponents usually whine and cry after losses and can get boring to play over and over. With a good opponent I have a chance to learn and improve my game or learn a new trick or technique that can rapidly improve my game.

A9-
No. Virtua Fighter has a giant movelist, you can never use every move in a game, let alone a full day’s worth of play. Super Turbo has a tiny moveset and no round is ever the same either. Many people have been playing VF and SF for well over a decade without slowing down and some people have been playing Chess all of their lives without getting bored of it.

A10-
No. Super Turbo is 15 years old and it still feels as fresh as ever and doesn’t have customizations or anything fancy. These questions seem to repeat. :sweat:

**A1-**The only singleplayer modes I play in any fg is training mode, with the intent of getting better to play other people. If there was no vs, I would never play the game in the first place.

**A2-**No. Countless fighting games have been around for years and have tons of depth and will last basically forever. Hate to make a Chess analogy but people just play Chess forever and it doesn’t get old.

**A3-**Customization is fun, they have it in the newer 3D games like VF and Tekken. I wouldn’t mind it not being there, but it’s cool if it is there. it just kind of furthers knowing a certain player because they use a certain color, now you can also recognize their outfit.

**A4-**Uh premade, because if not then you could make chars with like, sonic boom and a dp or some stupid ass shit?

**A5-**LMAO no.

**A6-**Don’t care, I wouldn’t play the story mode.

**A7-**I guess I would keep playing because that’s free money @ Evo or any major tournament? It wouldn’t be fulfilling gameplay-wise, though, in fact it would be really boring if everyone sucked compared to me.

**A8- **Challenging, I can’t get better to beat people better than me if I only play people worse than myself.

**A9-**No.

**A10-**A good game is the best solution to this problem. Customization of looks is fun but if the game sucks then it doesn’t matter. Leveling up and move customization is just some dumb shit.

A1- If there wasn’t any multiplayer mode fighting games wouldn’t exist.

A2- No. Once they’re past the basics everyone has a unique style.

A3- Not really. Aside from different premade colors/costumes custom characters tend to end up being cheesy and out of place.

A4- No. You can’t prepare against someone if you don’t know their moves.

A5- No. RPGs are boring until you get some skills and boring again once you have the screen-clearing ultimate attacks that do the work for you.

Q6- Fighting games often keep story in the game itself to the minimum. Would you prefer seeing more storytelling in a fighting game or do you think it would be too much?

A6- Blazblue’s arcade mode told its story better than the actual story mode. Interesting character designs and moves are more important than story.

A7- No. I’m far from being the best anyway so not having challenging opponents isn’t a problem.

A8- Challenging opponents. See above.

A9- No. It’s all about improving.

A10- Are you comparing fans of different genres/ subcultures or how people view each genre in general? Some fighting games have been played for a decade plus with no roster/story/customization complaints. If it’s the later you might want to try a general forum instead.

I’m going to assume for the second question you’re mostly talking about gloryholing via PSN/Xbox Live, rather than engaging in player matches with friends in premade rooms and the like.

**A1-**Not really; mostly because I don’t consider myself a very investigative player. Thanks to the Internet, I’m pretty much constantly aware via match videos, combo videos, etc. that there’s always some new trick or new perspective on a character I could apply to find something new and fun to play with, such as learning a new combo/setup, a new glitch, or just a particularly fun and abusable tactic to use against the CPU. With that in mind, I’ve always got my ear to the ground for something new to try in a game I’ve recently “conquered”. Revisiting a game after a couple weeks/months/years “away” playing a different game also helps me look at a previously visited title with a better eye for new and interesting things in the “same old” game. This isn’t just true of fighting games, obviously, it applies a lot more readily to the non-fighting games I play.

A2- I think it does become a little tedious for me in certain titles, particularly fresh after such a title’s release when the game’s transient casual population (i.e. scrubby people who buy the game, get steamrolled and/or distracted by other games, and then for the most part never come back) is much higher and you tend to see a lot more of the casual favorites. In SF4 with Ken/Ryu I mostly thought it was funny, but that was because I was playing my scrubby Bison, and he has a toolset that’s been basically designed since Super Turbo around baiting flowchart Shotos. I noticed it a lot more in BlazBlue, where it seems like I couldn’t throw a rock without hitting a Jin, Ragna, or Noel. I guess I found it a bit more monotonous in that game because there was a lot less room for blundering into a huge random reversal like in SF4 with Ultras; it was more a matter of bludgeoning them to death over and over with the same B&B setup that they didn’t know how to escape/predict and waiting for the next interchangeable Ice Car spammer.

**A3-**I have actually always been a great fan of games like Armored Core/Final Fantasy Tactics where you can customize your characters’ abilities “down to the bone”, as it were, and I have always wanted to see that approach applied a bit more in-depth to a versus game (Armored Core has some good Versus, but it’s entirely too obscure to have any real cross-genre influence). I wouldn’t say that I PREFER this approach to the traditional “prefab” approach in fighting games, but I certainly would like to see more of it, at least in games with a focus on versus play similar to “traditional” fighting games.

A4- Premade, carefully balanced moves are definitely the safer option, and I would prefer to see them used. As any number of hilarious Fighter Maker YouTube videos have proven, giving users free reign to make their own techniques – particularly people of the SRK “anything to win” mentality (no offense meant by that statement) – is a surefire way to get a game that’s as ugly to watch as it is broken to play.

A5- As a former WoW addict, I am fundamentally opposed to any kind of system of “grinding for abilities” in multiplayer games, ESPECIALLY where it pertains to versus play. People shouldn’t be held back by the artificial time constraint of having to unlock what will (in multiplayer) be BASIC character functionality; people should be able to dive in headfirst and be fully equipped if they so desire. Cosmetic functionality can be linked to “leveling up” a la Virtua Fighter/Tekken (i.e. new costumes/colors, things that have no effect on gameplay), but not mechanical functionality.

**A6-**Fighting game stories are only good when they’re ironic/tongue-in-cheek, and preferably minimalist. The prime examples of this (perhaps the archetypical examples) would be the Street Fighter and King of Fighters franchises, where the characters are given enough backstory to somewhat justify their in-game personality, but never so much to distract you from the focus of the game, which is fighting another little pixelated dude for what is effectively no logical reason. Minimalism is preferable to keep the game from being too bogged down in what will inevitably be the shortcomings/holes of its plot, but goofiness like in Guilty Gear/Battle Fantasia’s story mode helps. Games with a more hardcore “visual novel” approach like Melty Blood/BlazBlue really turn me off, partially because I think Japanese visual-novel-style storytelling is terrible (empirical fact: IT IS), and because it seems to me like the demands of the story mode seem to have had undesirable influence on the overall character design, which carries over into the versus mode. Case in point, Noel in BlazBlue. Mechanically, she’s fascinating and solidly designed just like the rest of the cast. But she’s designed as much for the game’s kawaii sugoi wai-wai anime story mode as any of the other characters, and her disgustingly meek/stupid tendencies as they proceed from that story mode (and that stupid voice of hers, in both languages) really turn me off ever playing as her.

So no, no more storytelling in fighting games, please. Unless it’s goofy as hell and intentionally semi-stupid, like JoJo’s Super Story Mode. Best Story Mode EVER, by far. Any and all story events should be accompanied by a WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP as a still image slowly approaches your screen.

A7-

In that case, I usually just stop playing on XBL/PSN/whatever and run through my friends list/IRC/etc. and find somebody to play against who’s not some random chump the lobby filter brings up, be they from SRK, RL friends/family, or other people I have a prior relationship with in fighting games. I’m rarely at a loss for challenging opponents, which really just another way of saying I’m not that great at most fighting games. Believe me, I’m in no danger of mastering any game I play anytime soon.

**A8- ** If I’m feeling lazy and relaxing at home, I like easy opponents, but if I’m playing somebody I actually know, I much prefer a challenge, because the “release” of winning (or at least surviving a round) is a lot more satisfactory. Hell, the release from things like timing-specific combos or setups feels a lot more impressive against a challenging opponent, because of the associated adrenaline rush and subsequent release as you escape “danger”. The adrenaline wakes you up, and the games feel a lot more satisfying, whereas relaxed games against easy opponents tend to get tedious a lot faster.

A9- Against a training dummy, things tend to get tedious, but against a live opponent, I don’t find them particularly repetitious, even in slow, pokey games like CvS2. The tactile “feel” of successfully connected hits or chunky blockstrings seems to keep my fingers amused enough, as does things that require your full attention like dancing around playing footsies or wakeup baiting with a loaded super meter.

**A10-**Character customization in the form of CvS2-style grooves is always welcome to me, and it’s a system I wish I’d see in more games (that aren’t Arcana Heart). These kinds of systems not only add new fun factor to many characters, but they often prove to make certain borderline characters more powerful in a given setup. Same goes for EX characters a la KOF '98, where they have most of the same normals with different specials and/or gameplay focus. That’s the kind of stuff I’d be really comfortable with, particularly because it’s relatively easy for even the laziest/most overburdened dev teams to put in, thus guaranteeing that the game wouldn’t, say, die a horrible death in development hell.

As for cosmetic character customization, I am a sucker for cowboy hats. I would love to see more games where you can give Ryu an afro or some shit. Nothing that affects mechanical gameplay, obviously, but I’m never opposed to silly dress-up gimmicks.

Move customization I would be hesitant about less because of the potential balance issues of certain moves/builds overpowering/hard-countering others than I would because I think they’d lend themselves to a lot more bugs that make the game either unplayable or really, REALLY dumb a la Fighter Maker shenanigans. Depending on how the game’s development went, things could get really ugly.

As long as story mode doesn’t interfere unduly with the character/aesthetic design for versus mode and the like, developers are welcome to do more with it, I think. But please, spare me the anime melodrama and bring on the random shit-talking a la SvC: Chaos. Or JoJo’s Super Story Mode. Did I mention how awesome that mode was?

No leveling up, please. Ever. Not unless it’s purely cosmetic/bragging rights a la Virtua Fighter/Tekken. I didn’t quit WoW just to start grinding for a bigger fireball.

A1-
Yes, but only on occasion for practice or to kill time. Max an hour a day or less. I assume that by no multiplayer you mean no versus mode.

A2-
No, the game is not boring as long as you have a few different styles of player to play against.

A3-
It’s a wash. If the design is good, then I don’t care if it’s my idea or someone elses’.

A4-
Premade. I think customizable moves and custom combos are a negative balancing factor.

A5-
Leveling up is fine for single player, but multiplayer should always have a defined set of moves.

A6-
Less story than fighting, that would be my rule of thumb.

A7-
It’s still fun to play and win.

**A8- **
Yes, challenging opponents help you improve your game and make you think.

A9-
Not good ones. Good games have some variety even if it’s outside of the top tier.

A10-
At a beginner/intermediate level this would lower repetition. At a higher level it would likely have no effect because only the best moves and whatnot would be used. See Street Fighter 3 for a good example.

1) Without a multi-player option any fighting game would definitely become too boring to play long.
2) I enjoy facing the same character repeatedly, it enables you to learn the match-up better than by playing against a character only once out of every 20 fights. Also, not everyone plays a character the same way, it’s interesting to see how different people can play one character differently.
3) I would prefer the game of premade characters, because I would have to assume that customization of fighting styles would lead to balance issues. Regarding customizable appearances, I’d have to assume a random guy is not going to create a character as interesting as a developer with professionals designing characters.
4) I think it would lead to balance issues.
5) The last thing I’d want in a fighting game is to have to grind experience to be able to compete. Competition should be about player ability, not about arbitrary levels based on time played.
6) As long as it didn’t interfere with the game play, I can’t think of a reason why not to have better stories.
7) If I was completely unmatched in skill, I guess I would go win at Evo and take the free money and notoriety. That could be fun for a bit, but ultimately it would be boring to never have competition.
8) Challenging opponents, because you learn more playing against them, and they force you to perform at your best.
9) Every match in a fighting game against a human opponent is dynamic and unique, so I don’t find them at all repetitious.
10) Customization can be fun, but I don’t think it could save a bad fighting game from being bad.

A1-Any fighting game worth it’s salt has some form of multiplayer, if not, then no.

A2-No, because it’s continuously learning to adapt to the strategies and tactics that other people develop for using these premade characters that’s poart of the fun of fighting games.

A3-Premade, because at the end of the day, I’d prefer a balanced fighter and one where some guy can make the typical “dark/god/true/evil/violent/angel/devil” so-and-so character with needlessly broken moves. .

A4-See my previous answer. Having someone be able to create their own moves in a fighter would break the games balance.

A5-Sama abilities. I don’t want to have to grind to “earn” abilities.

A6-Story is a bonus, the real meat of fighting games is in beating other players up.

A7-Stop playing and before long, someone’s going to come along and surpass you.

A8-Both, I prefer having opponents, period.

A9-No, I find that I tend to play fighting games more than other genre’s be it due to online, or just having friends who can come over to fight.

A10-No, as long as there is a healthy competitive community, fighting games are not repetitive.

A1-I would still play because any kind of practice is crucial for me.

A2-I wouldn’t find it boring because everyone has different styles of play. The more merrier.

A3-I would prefer premade characters since custom characters are a pain to make and work with.

A4-Premade, as I said, it would be a pain to learn and test out customizing my own moves.

A5-Same abilities.

A6-Too much. Fighting should be the priority, not the story. The story, I would say, is a “bonus”.

A7-I would enjoy easy opponents because I want them to get an opportunity to become just as good as me, even better.

A8-Both. I want my wins and all, but I need a lot of challenge so I get better.

A9-Nope. I love fighting games.

A10-Story. If anything, just add more moves and more characters.

Sonti, I don’t know how much of a serious fighting game player you are, but my guess is not too serious. I think you probably see a lot of patterns in people’s responses here. The truth is, your questions come from a point of view similar to a lot of gaming media outlets, which is to say, there’s not enough “content” in fighting games to keep you from repeating things. This is why, for example, KoF12 has gotten blasted pretty hard in reviews. Something along the lines of “there’s just story mode and versus mode, not even a boss, no character customization, and not that many characters, what are you going to do?” This is coming from a different assumption of what to expect of games than we have. KoF12, in fact, has by and large been very well received here.

For those of us who take these games seriously, the fun part is the competition. Competition is, by definition, never repetitive or repetitious unless you make it so. It’s like asking a chess player (sorry to use this analogy again), “do you think chess gets repetitive and boring? I mean, you only have so many pieces.” Pretty much invariably they will say no. The excitement comes from taking the tools you have at your disposal, and trying to leverage them against the toolset of the other person. Over time you, as a player, get better, which is fundamentally more satisfying than killing another dumb A.I. opponent and watching a character on the screen get an extra 2 points in strength or whatever.

I know I didn’t use the Q/A format, sorry.

A1-I continue playing IF i have competition nearby. I love fighting games and competing at them.

A2-not at all. Different people have different playing styles. Online is the reason why i play fighting games so much today.

A3-Premade, for the simple fact that people will make BROKEN characters

A4-Premade, same as above

A5-same, if i wanted to level up i’d play kingdom hearts.

A6-ehh less story is good. Im used to a fighting game not taking itself TOO serious

A7-ill beat the easy opponents occasionally but ill seek out those who could be better than myself

A8- Challenging. I dont get better or have as much fun with easy opponents

A9- not really.

A10- move customization to an extent. if all moves can be balanced in a way, im for it.

I’m not trying to crap on your degree or anything. It’s just that about every 3-4 weeks we see this same thing, somebody coming in and making a survey/questioner saying it is for research, studies, whatever. Plus when I was earning my degree there is no way in hell any of my professors would allow a survey from some random internet forum to be valid information in an essay.

Just my two cents

A1- I wouldn’t play a fighting game with no multiplayer in the first place. And also, “learned all the moves and killed the last boss” is a pretty bad definition of “mastered” when it comes to fighting games.

A2- There are thousands, if not millions of Street Fighter IV players, but only 25 characters. Nobody plays Akuma like Momochi, or like Ed Ma, or like me. Everyone has their own playstyle and that’s what keeps the game fresh.

A3- Premade characters. There have been games that toyed with custom characters, but that’s a balance nightmare. I’d prefer to just play the game and let the developers deal with that crap (side note to SC players: are custom characters ever allowed in tournaments?).

A4- See answer to 3. I like to just play the game. Although I do like when your character has a choice of moves to pick from (Super Arts in 3S, assist types in MvC2, etc.)

A5- It’s a fighting game, not an RPG.

A6- Story would be great. I know there’s some in most games but often it’s just a sideshow to the main game. BlazBlue has maybe the best story in a fighting game yet and it’s still kinda wacky and random.

A7- I’ve never mastered a fighting game, so I wouldn’t know.

**A8- ** I like a challenge. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Losing makes you better, stomping scrubs just develops bad habits.

A9- No, because like I said above even games with smaller casts have many players with differing styles.

A10- I don’t, so N/A.

Depends on your department. Internet surveys can be very well-regarded and effective if they are properly constructed. Most scholars accept the limitations / pitfalls as part of it, as you can get some very good info.

A good friend of mine just did his thesis on Dwarf Fortress and used a ton of forum postings and surveys. My former adviser gave a talk this past GDC where most of his data was collected over the web.