Swapping input signals?

Hey, not much of a poster here since I’m more fond of lurking. I have done some stick modding before, so I have at least some experience. I have really enjoyed learning from you guys, and now I want to kick it up a notch. Now that introductions are aside, I’d like to get to my main point.

I want to make a stick with a switch that would swap which signals are being sent. To be precise, I want to make a reversible stick where in default mode, it’s basically a normal stick with the buttons aligned in two straight lines. But then you can flip a switch and turn the stick 180 degrees and play as if it was a right-handed stick.

If some people could answer:
How feasible this project is (what kind of difficulty)?
Are there any resources I could look at to help my understanding of this project?
What are some of the required materials to make the switch work?

Here is a picture to see what I’m aiming for (pardon the mspaint)

(I realize not only the buttons need to be swapped, but also the joystick signals. I forgot to tack on the directions on the stick)

Thanks for any kind of input!

Digikey does carry many ‘number pole - dual throw’ switches, like this 6PDT:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/F6UEE/CKN9666-ND/2054944
That’d do the buttons, and you’d need a similar 4PDT say like this:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/PHA4UEE/401-1193-ND/417709
to do the same for the joystick.

I think anything else would require custom electronics. Not hard as far as those go, but it’s not most people’s cup of tea.

you could use the 6PDT that toodles suggested and then mechanically rig up some sort of locking rotator that would turn the joystick 180 degrees

I’m trying to figure this out myself. Toodles, do you think you could speak a little more about what would be a simple way to implement this without using a microcontroller? im interested to know so I can do this on one of my sticks. here is what I came up with using NPN’s. probably 2N5088. I did not draw the ground in some parts but that should be easy to see. “A” and “B” represent the button inputs to your PCB so that is why they go nowhere in the schematic. you could add a resistor to your flip switch if your at all concerned about the cumulative iBC current running through 10 NPN’s. FET’s in a DIP16 package might be a little cleaner and better to implement if you actually feel like building it.

Microcontroller would be easiest, sure, but it’d have to have 20 pins just for the I/O lines. A cheap atmega48 would do the job with no more additional components than maybe a decoupling capacitor.
Without microcontrollers, I’d use an array of 2:1 MUXes with open drain outputs. One pull up resistor on the selector switch with GND on the other pin going to the MUXes select line. For each button to be read by the MUXes, use one pull up resistor. There’s be one MUX gate for each of the controlled signals, like the the PCB’s ‘A’ (light kick) button. You connect the output from the MUX to the main PCB’s ‘A’ signal, and the two inputs would be the (stick-on-left orientation) 1K button and the 3K button.

1. Get that new ambidextrous Qanba Q2-Pro.
  2. Swap in the PCB.
  3. ???
  4. Profit.