Switch-less USB selector for PS3+360 "Imp": Re-Design Underway, Input appreciated

Good news, Imp fabrication is done and should be shipping in the new few days, cross your fingers, Imps may be back in about 2 weeks.

Forget about the Bomberman guide and work on what you have and what you need. The Imp PDF should detail exactly everything that connect connects to the Imp, just make sure you follow the MC Cthulhu column on the second page. If you’re having trouble from there, describe what the problem is in as much detail as possible, along with a whole crap ton of detailed pictures so we can get a good idea of what is wired where. Once we know exactly what you’ve done, it should be easy to tell you what needs to be done.

That doesn’t look anything like what the PDF says to do. Instead of finding other pictures, you should take some of your own.

Do you have anything connected to the Outgoing USB of Imp v2?

You hooked up the D+ and D- from the Madcatz PCB to the MC Cthulhu. That is wrong.

D+ and D- on the Madcatz PCB is supposed to go to XD+ and XD- on the imp.

The USB out cable going to the System is supposed to go to the imp, on the lower left hand corner. 4 wires to Wht, Grn, Blk, Red.

Solder a wire from “G” on imp and connect it to a ground on the MC Cthulhu.

If you look at the chart on the second page of the PDF and hook everything up like the “MC Cthulhu Setup” describes, then it should work fine.

The USB cable should go there.
Are you reading the PDF Instructions?

Instead of the Fightpad PCB pictured Substitute the arcade stick PCB you have… You do not need the USB port or RJ-45 jack pictured on the imp V2. Just solder the USB out wire on the upper right hand corner of the imp in this picture.

Dude, you have not connected the d+ & d- to the IMPv2. You have also not connected the RJ45-VCOL to a VCC point.

If not yet done so then you will also need to update the MC Cthulhu firmware to the latest version to enable IMPv2 support.

Are you sure you’re reading the IMPv2 documentation? Your posts imply differently.

Wait, do you mean D+ and D- at where the USB cables go on the left of the post? I put that directly to the USB cable that goes to the console

I can connect the RJ-45 VCC no problem.

And yes the MCC is updated to the latest.

All you need to do is follow the instructions provided in the IMPv2 document. It is not hard. I’m starting to feel that you are simply wasting everyone’s time here by not doing so.

The MCC d+ & d- points need to be connected to the D & E points on the IMPv2. Not to the USB cable.

If in doubt then wire the entire first row of MCC points to the IMPv2 (G A B C D E F V). As it says. In the instructions.

The instructions doesn’t say anything about MCC D+ & D- going to the imp.

The Instructions does say
"If you are installing an Imp into a production arcade stick that already includes a built in USB cable, there are four holes labeled D-,
D+, G, and V in the USB jack area, along with the colors of these wires in a standard USB cable. You can
solder the end wires of your dedicated USB cable directly to these four holes.

The instructions at the bottom has a chart that says to put the 360 USB Green and White Cable to XD+ and XD- , Red and Black to VCC and GND on MCC.
But RTZdzign advised me to wire it like the picture I have above.

The RJ-45 was optional from my understanding which is why I wasn’t focusing on connecting them since I didn’t think it had anything to do with the USB.

Sorry if it feels like I’m wasting everyones time with posts but I am reading the instructions.

The instructions clearly say to wire points G A B C D E F V from the MCC to the IMPv2. This covers the MCC’s D+ & D- points by default.

You have chosen not to do this for whatever reason. By not doing so you are not following the instructions, which is why you had also not connected the RJ45 VCOL.

Now try again and see if it works this time.

Just connect the V-G between the Imp and the MC Cthulhu. Don’t forget the “RJ-45 VCol” that goes to the extra row.

The picture I posted shows what it looks like if you use the “MC Cthulhu chart”. The first column.

The RJ-45 jack itself was optional. Those solder points between v-g are not.

Look again, REALLY carefully look again. Do EXACTLY what is in that picture he showed you. Ignore the USB and RJ45 jacks in his picture (since it sounds like you already have the USB wire soldered in). Your XD +/- is fine. Ignore the four USB points on the MCC. Change out YOUR MCC Ground to IMP ‘G’ point, and follow the directions of wiring up G-V from MCC to IMP. On a 2nd row on the MCC G-V points, take the ‘V’ point and wire that to the ‘RJ45-VCOL’ on the IMP. Look VERY CAREFULLY at rtdzign’s example. Seriously, do not reinvent the wheel with this.

Is there an updated link for the troubleshooting post? I’m having the same issue as post #443 (overheated the D- solder pad and Xbox360 is not working), but the troubleshooting link doesn’t seem to work for me. Thanks.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?posts/2781308/

Excellent, thank you much! Maybe I can stop bothering Jamespoop now! :smiley:

Laugh.
Yes, he told me you had some problems need fixing.

Thanks for the pic, it’s in my reference library now! I opted to run the connections from the terminal strip instead of the MadCatz TE PCB, as I just didn’t trust my soldering skills for that small a point. For the joystick, I just spliced a wire for each line on the JLF cable. It’s not pretty, but it’s doable and it worked for the ChimpSMD mods I did on my own stuff.

As of last night, I had the MCC working through the Imp via RJ45 and was able to use it on a PS3 and a PC, but X360 wasn’t kicking in; the guide light would flash briefly when plugged in and nothing else. I figured, with James’ assist, that D+ and D- were bad joints, despite reading continuity between the MadCatz PCB and Imp D+ and D- connections.

Tried to clean it up today and it seems my bad luck with Imps continues; I messed it up trying to redo my D+ and D- connections (I messed one up last year that James’ had to clean up after me). I already had lost the D+ solder pad on the Imp, but when removing the wire, a thin film of plastic going from D+ to pin #3 on the 4066 came up. I assume this is A Bad Thing. I am taking to an electronics shop tomorrow to see how bad it is. I’ll likely just have to wait for Imps to come back in stock. I’m going to test the Madcatz PCB and make sure that works still tomorrow.

All this for a 4 button shmup stick… /sigh.

Now I know why I pay James to dual-mod for me! I should just leave this to the pros. At least the scan line generator works that I assembled! :smiley:

Imps arrived yesterday and are testing out great. I’m going to turn them back on the website. I can get small numbers of them out, but if you need a large batch, it probably wont ship out until Tuesday or Wednesday after the monkey can go all packing crazy on them.