T.Hawk Guide to all of his normals.

t-hawk

Below is a guide to all of T.Hawks normals and explanations of their applications. The way to really be good with your character is knowing exactly how each button works and being able to apply it in all functions. Please do take part in the “survey” I have above. Please actually read the information listed; I would not do this if I did not want to better your knowledge.

Feel free to ask any and all questions if something seems new to you

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FUNCTIONS ARE LISTED IN ALL OF THEIR POSSIBLE FUNCTIONS AND ARE IN NO SPECIFIC ORDER

PLEASE NOTE THAT A APPLICATION MAY BE LISTED DOES NOT MEAN IT IS PRACTICAL HOWEVER, IT STILL SHOWS THE UTILITY OF THAT PARTICULAR MOVE

THESE APPLICATIONS ARE IN FOOTSIES AND NOT IN COMBOS

1. Standing Light Punch/Jab
Tick Throw setup
Poking/Zoning
Anti Air

2. Crouching Light Punch/Jab
Poking/Zoning
Tick Throw Setup

3. Neutral Jump Light Punch/Jab
Air to air
Corner Pressure
Tick Throw Setup

4. Jumping Forward/Backward Light Puinch/Jab
Tick Throw Setup
Air to Air

5. Thrust Peak
Anti Air
Zoning/Poking
Tick Throw Setup
Corner Pressure

6. Standing Strong/MP CLOSE
Anti Air
Tick Throw Setup

7. Far Strong/MP
Zoning/Poking
Anti Air
Corner pressure

8. Crouching Strong/MP
Zoning/Poking
Corner Pressure

9. Neutral Jump Strong/MP
Corner pressure
Air to air

10. Jumping Backward/Forward Strong/MP
Air to air
Tick throw set up

11. Elbow Drop
Air to air
Please not that this whiffs on standing and crouching opponents

12. Standing Feirce/HP CLOSE
No real practical application outside of punishing a unsafe move

13. Standing Feirce/HP FAR
Anti Air
Zoning/Poking
Corner Pressure

14. Crouching Feirce/HP
Anti Air
Zoning/Poking
Corner Pressure

15. Neutral Jump Feirce/HP
Air to Air
Corner Pressure
Zoning/Poking

16. Jumping Backward/Forward Feirce/HP
Air to Air
Tick Throw Setup

17. Body Splash
Tick Throw Setup
Air to Air
Ambiguous Cross Up
PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU JUMP AT THE SAME DISTANCE YOU HAVE THE CHOICE OF DECIDING WHETHER OR NOT THIS MOVE WILL CROSS-UP ON YOUR OPPONENT BASED ON THE TIME YOU ACTIVATE THIS MOVE

18. Standing Short/LK Close
Tick Throw Setup
Anti-Air
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AS AN ANTI-AIR BUT IT IS POSSIBLE

19. Standing Short/LK Far
Zoning/Poking
Tick Throw Setup
Corner Pressure

20. Crouching Short/LK
Tick Throw Setup

21. Neutral Jump Short/LK
Corner Pressure
Tick Throw Setup

22. Jumping Forward/Backward Short/LK
Tick Throw Set Up
Air to Air

23. Standing Forward/MK Close
No real practical application

24. Standing Forward/MK Far SPARTA KICK
Zoning/Poking
Corner Pressure
Anti Air

**25. Crouching Forward/MK **
Zoning/Poking

26. Neutral Jump Forward/MK
Air To Air
Corner Pressure

27. Jumping forward/Backward Forward/MK
Tick Throw Setup
Air to Air

28. Standing Roundhouse/HK Close
Anti Air

29. Standing Roundhouse/HK Far
Anti Air
Zoning/Poking

30. Crouching Roundhouse/HK SWEEP
Zoning/Poking

31. Netural Jump Roundhouse/HK
Corner Pressure
Zoning/Poking
Air to Air

32. Jumping Forward/Backward Roundhouse/HK
Air to Air
Tick Throw Setup
Corner Pressure

Excellent post joe lewis very informative.

I’d love to see some preferred moves for given situations.
i.e. best air-to-air, best anti-air, etc

close MK is -1 on block, can’t it be used for tick throws on block?

air to air i like elbow drop, jumping jab and jumping strong, but against shotos you problably will lose all air to air because their roundhouse beats everything that t hawk can do
anti air normal i dont think t hawk have any reliable choise, you cant try down fierce for a trade, luckily you will hit clean, but a well positioned hp tomahawk buster is the best choise

I’ve seen it done, but not sure how well it works.

I tried it the other day, seems to work quite well. -1 is actually the best tick-throw frame (dis)advantage for 2-frame grabs, as it’s impossible to do the grab too soon. Also, you’re reversal ultra-proof (well, except 0-frame ultras).

I use all of these normals and it depends on the various situations I run into. Sometimes I throw a normal out there digging for a counter hit, sometimes I throw a normal to bait something, sometimes I do a normal just to do it. I sometimes just spam a move just to do it. That’s the art of footsies… As I said use this as a guide and go into training mode and just figure out what normals work in character specific situations and in universal situations. That is the art of learning the character. There is no short cut or easy way to do it…

It was in my “T.Hawk” bible and I didnt write it out. I just write most of those stuff, Matchups…normal usage things that work things that dont work in this little pocket notebook and take it with me. I did infact have this as a move that can be used as a tick throw set up I just did not write it down. Internet Warriors are immune to reading comments on the OP so I will just put that in the OP I revised it a little bit for some stuff that I foudn out this weekend.

I personally never use it as a tick throw because Im used to just hit confirming MK into DP. If you cant hit confirm with thawk btw, god…its so easy lol

Hmm, fair enough. I suppose I’m still at the point where I’m actually starting to add more buttons to my standard arsenal. Lately I’m liking jump-HK a lot more than I used to. Has unexpected reach and comes out pretty fast… I suppose generally, I still jump too much though. Should work on that. How do you tend to control distance? For example, I have a bitch of a time (embarrassing admission) against players that jump back a lot. Mostly fireball characters, but generally speaking, any character that jumps away a lot tends to give me a tough time. I suppose walking forward is really the best way to deal with it? whiff spires? I don’t think any of thawk’s normals move him forward much.

I just walk forward… =/

Haha. Yeah, figures. I really have to work on that.

Walk Forward… Then Down Back… Walk Forward… Down Back… In its most basic form.

I expected more than one word explanations of this guide. Perhaps an actual write up is in order. This is very general and well known information.

EDIT: I shouldn’t be criticizing someone who is at least attempting to fix the forums with updated, useful information. Childish on my part. Perhaps with a bit more clean up and more information we can have a new sticky on our hands.

Feel like posting my thoughts on one of these.

My favorite normal is the **Far Standing Roundhouse **(or as I call it: Condor Boot)
I love this a little too much. Basically, unless the opponent knows its coming, its incredibly safe. Not just safe, but its also powerful. I essentially consider this attack to be a short-range fireball (note: it isn’t REALLY a fireball, unlike the Twins’ palm strikes…grumblegrumble). Far Standing Roundhouse basically gives T. Hawk the ability to do something that other grapplers have a difficult time with: zoning the opponent. I would say that there are three basic times to use the attack.

1. After scoring a knockdown at far range (after a MP/HP Typhoon or after hitting a Condor Dive), you can whip it out on the opponent’s wakeup. BE VERY CAREFUL to not use it more than once in a while. It has amazing range, and on block, it’s difficult to get punished, but if they know its coming, you’ll likely regret whipping it out. Its a “fool me twice, shame on me” sort of deal. Feel free to use it more against any character with poor wakeup options, like Cody, Dhalsim, Rose, or meterless Gouken, to name a few.

2. During footsies. Far Standing Roundhouse has incredible range, incredible power, and great safety. Just remember to not use this one as your primary poke (I prefer crouching MK for that one), but if you get into a bit of a poke war with the opponent, its a very good one to whip out there, to mix things up. Just keep an eye out for crouching opponents. if they’re hanging out near to the ground, avoid this attack, it will often whiff. Its a great attack to keep the opponent near the ground, if you so choose.

3. Punishment. Face it, people do stupid things. I do them (a lot), you do them (admit it), and your opponent will do them. T. Hawk doesn’t have a ton of great options for punishes in the form of combos, but his normals are so good, he doesn’t need them. This is Hawk’s best option for punishing attacks at medium range. Is Ken mashing LP Shoryuken like a moron? Time it right and blast him with this. Is your opponent charging up a focus attack a lot? If you don’t want to Condor Dive, you may be able to get away with shoving your boot in their face during their dash cancel (or during the actual focus charge, if you’re [S]gutsy[/S] stupid). Using the attack as punishment is more of a “I’ll know it when I see it” moment, but once you learn to see it, you’ll find some good uses.

The most important rule of Condor Boot is to BE SMART! If you go flailing your foot around everywhere, you’re going to eat a shoryuken, or a Blanka ball, or something random you’ll never see coming because T. Hawk is facing the wrong direction too much. This is definitely my favorite normal in Hawk’s large arsenal, and its relatively safe. But like most of the game: if you get predictable, you’re going to get punished.

I also love to throw it out at max range when the opponent wakes up. Another favorite that work sometimes is to whiff the first hit of c.HK, having the 2nd one connect. This really throws some people of, thinking I mistimed my meaty or something (Well, I guess better players know that T.Hawk has a 2-part sweep).

I’ve FINALLY begun throwing Thrust Peak into my moveset more often. Especially against those damn twins. Still undefeated against Yun as T. Hawk (lost once as Ryu)

Trust Peak is really good against Yun moreso than Yang…

I love me my thust peaks against those lousy bouncy divey kicky bastards. Cept when I try to c. jab and that thing bomes flying out.

For me at least, Yun isn’t a real issue with T.Hawk. It’s moreso Ryu, Evil Ryu, and Ken that give me trouble. :frowning: I looked, and I’ve played 7 matches against Ryu, 8 against Evil Ryu, and 7 against Ken. I’ve won maybe 9 out of all of those. Out of the 39 online games I’ve played…