Now that the game has come out, I think it’d be good to turn this into a TAP strat thread, instead of a “I (personally) don’t know much about this game yet,” thread.
HELP BALROG GET PAID! POST YOUR TAP TECHNIQUES HERE!
(EDIT: 12/11/09 new information from gammon)
KNOWN COMBOS FROM MEATY TAP
- meaty TAP, 1lp, 1lp, (1lk), 17fp, ultra
Suggested by gootecks
- typically do not exceed a LVL 1 charge
- can be used to escape a cross-up if applied correctly
- best used from maximum range
Suggested by Jay Wang
- has armour breaking properties (breaks SA/FA). Regular rush punch can not do this.
- offers Rog a way of moving forward and still maintaining a back charge
- can be done without having to charge back. In other words it can be used in situations where a rush punch can not be. ie: after: walking or dashing forward.
- oh yeah and, TAP can GO THROUGH PROJECTILES.
- can be used on wake up to beat certain pressure attempts
- good set-up for EX Armor Cancel
(mix-up, does not combo) max range TAP, EX dash (x) (must absorb a poke for EX Armor Cancel), kara into ultra (will crush any additional moves, may catch opponent in recovery)
Suggested by Teppelin
- can cancel into super
- can juggle into ultra after an AA
Suggested by syngin
- good for high risk/high reward options
- (after TAP) EX dash (x) to beat poke attempts (relatively safe)
- (after TAP) EX heabutt to beat poke and throw attempts (not safe, yields ultra)
Suggested by gammon
- easy meaty on opponent’s wake up
- cancel with a focus dash to thin the disadvantage on a high TAP or to continue pressure
- can set up for combos upon meaty
- max range TAP/dash straight into counter-poke TAP/dash straight is unusually effective
- LVL 1 TAP, c.jab can be used to set up for tick throws/pressure
- fantastic for breaking M. Bison block strings that end in scissors
- great for dodging dive spamming Vegas; however, you must do it early in his jump phase to sucessfully dodge
- Reversals in this game are 20x easier to do than another Street Fighter; meaties are somehow not safe. This is as they are waking up; it’s still fine post-connect. Use meaty TAP with caution.
(new info 12/11/09)
- Don’t use TAP with the expectation you are to be hitting an opponent after a fireball. That is very unlikely. In most situations you will simply not be able to hit them before they recover (especially if they know their spacing), many situations will actually get you hit. TAP should primarily be used to reposition yourself against an opponent who is attempting to zone you. The fact that they have blocked a TAP, does not mean that you did not achieve a goal. TAP has exceptional chip potential and in conjunction with the ability to close the range on an opponent safely, a blocked hit is still a successful hit, anything beyond that is a bonus.
(new info 12/11/09)
- If timed correctly upon an opponent’s wake-up, TAP can be used to bait reversal attempts due to its abnormal animation and quick recovery. Many players will attempt to punish the (thought to be) whiffed TAP and in turn be punished themselves. If they attempt to reversal a TAP, a well timed EX headbutt can beat every attack in the game, excluding: Bison’s ultra, Sagat’s ultra, Honda’s ultra, and EX dragon punches (it still can, but the timing is bizarre). If they believe they can throw your “whiffed” TAP, then you can meaty them upon their wake-up.
Options after a “whiffed” TAP upon opponent’s wake-up
- EX headbutt to beat 90% of possible reversal outcomes in the game
- Meaty their throw attempt (preferrably with c.mk)
- Back dash to beat most reversal and throw attempts
- Throw them (as they may choke in fear of the previous three options)
- Block to play it safe and maybe make a late throw attempt/break
WHEN TO NOT USE TAP
- don’t TAP at close range vs. most characters (you can be very easily hit or thrown out of it)
- don’t TAP through fireball, against Akuma with ultra/super; you can bait Raging Demon by being purposefully hit with a fireball after a “mistimed” TAP (you will be in hit stun, or recover in time, and demon will not connect)
- don’t TAP through fireball, against Ryu with super
- don’t TAP through fireball, mid-screen, against Ken with ultra
- don’t TAP through fireball, against Sagat beyond half-screen (s.rh, tiger knee, ultra)
- don’t TAP against Blanka or E. Honda (unless they’ve advanced forward) until you control the match (even so, a bad idea)
- don’t TAP against Guile’s jab Sonic Boom (typically very unsafe)
- don’t TAP against Zangief (reaction lariat, jab SPD, EX green hand) until you have control of the match (even so, a horrible idea)
- don’t TAP upon wake up (ever)
The information in bold highlights a relatively safe frame count.
SU H R GA HA GR HR PW STU G BL C
Level 1 30 07 13 -02 +02 17 21 130 200 30/40 HL S
Level 2_ 30 07 16 -05 -01 17 21 150 210 30/40 HL S
Level 3__ 30 08 18 -08 -04 17 21 180 220 30/40 HL S
Level 4__ 30 09 21 -12 -08 17 21 210 230 30/40 HL S
Level 5__ 30 10 22 -14 -10 17 21 250 240 30/40 HL S
Level 6__ 30 11 24 -17 -13 17 21 280 250 30/40 HL S
Level 7__ 30 12 26 -20 -16 17 21 410 260 30/40 HL S
Level 8__ 30 13 29 -24 -20 17 21 460 270 30/40 HL S
Level 9__ 30 15 32 -29 -25 17 21 510 280 30/40 HL S
Final____ 30 16 36 -34 -30 17 21 560 290 30/40 HL S
SU: Startup H: Hit R: Recovery GA: Guard Adv HA: Hit Adv GR: Guard Recovery HR: Hit Recovery PW: Power STU: Stun G: Gauge BL: Block C: Cancel
Sorry if I don’t have all the info on TAP straight, but it seems that anything over a LVL 1 TAP is pretty unsafe to downright stupid.
Why would you ever do a FINAL TAP on someone, especially considering how long it takes to charge, when you have -30 frames on HIT? Is it only practical for a killing blow?
So, what advantage does TAP possess aside from the fact it has long hit frames for an easy meaty? Even with a meaty on certain levels you are STILL at disadvantage on hit, why? It doesn’t even do that much damage mid charge and the stun is no better than a far FP. Does it give you a huge frame bonus on counter-hit?
From what I can tell the only uses are…
-easy meaty (though still unsafe above a certain lvl)
-good for disguising a charge (tho’ since the advantage blows, it really doesn’t matter for pressure)
-good for a psychic counter-poke killing blow
I never see anyone use it aside from meter building. What am I missing?