TE joystick repair question

Hello there, I’m a complete stick mod rookie, so I want to consult the SRK experts here.

Had my TE for almost a year now and maybe the wear and tear is taking its toll. For example when I play Blazblue CS, sometimes it doesn’t respond to my double tab and fails to air or ground dash.

How should I go about fixing it? I’m guessing the stick is not restoring to its center position quick enough leading to the failed dash attempts, but this is only my guess. I’m not sure what parts I need to look for.

Any suggestions of which online site, or which retail store I can shop locally around the Toronto area?

Maybe try replacing the spring and/or the PCB/microswitch assembly?

A replacement PCB with microswitches and a replacement spring may be more trouble than it’s worth just to buy a new JLF. For sites, Lizardlick.com is good, but it ships from America, so expect to wait a little while… But, you can of course buy a replacement PCB with microswitches and a new spring and replace those, but… If you’re a rookie, a JLF runs only $23, and you can easily pop and swap.

Or you can be cool and branch out and try Seimitsu sticks, they’re a bit tighter than JLFs. But be sure you post what you want here if you think of getting one, not all of them come with the mounting plate that you’d like… And make sure it’s in the format LS-XX-01, so you can drop the replacement in…

^ Nah it’s super easy.

• Take off the restrictor gate.
  • Remove the pcb/microswitches and disconnect the wiring harness.
  • Remove the E-clip from the shaft, slide the actuator off, remove spring.
  • Add new spring, slide actuator on, and put E-clip back on.
  • Put the new pcb/microswitches in place and connect the wiring harness.
  • Replace the restrictor gate.
  • Success!

Right… so after a bit of research, the parts that I’m looking for should be JLF-TP-8YT-SK.

Unfortunately they are current of stock in lizardlick. Are there other recommended online retail that sells the piece? I came across a few other online shops, but they offered a variety of JLF, none in the form of JLF-TP-8YT-SK.

madcatz sells replacement jlfs.

GameShark Store - Sanwa Arcade Stick Lever - Orange

Thanks for the site, but it only ships within the U.S.

I’m situated in Canada.

All Sanwa JLF are the same; some just have different suffix to show what is added on.

Here the six variations listed in Sanwa Catalog ('07~'08):
JLF-TP-8 is Base JLF.
JLF-TP-8Y is Base JLF with the TP-MA (PCB) rotated 90°.
JLF-TP-8T is Base JLF with JLF-P-1 (Flat Mounting Plate).
JLF-TP-8YT is Base JLF with the TP-MA (PCB) rotated 90° with JLF-P-1 (Flat Mounting Plate).
JLF-TP-8S is Base JLF with the TP-MA (PCB) rotated 90° with JLF-P-1S (S Mounting Plate).
JLF-TP-8Y-SK is Base JLF with the TP-MA (PCB) rotated 90° with JLF-CD (Shaft Cover).

Of course other variations can be done too:
JLF-TP-8-SK, JLF-TP-8T-SK, JLF-TP-8S-SK, JLF-TP-8YT-SK.

I’ll just add this for completeness, since it is JLF:
JLF-TM-8 can do; JLF-TM-8T, JLF-TM-8T-SK, JLF-TM-8S, JLF-TM-8S-SK.

Buy whatever JLF-TP-8 that you can get.
It doesn’t matter.

havent actually bought anything from them, but i’ve had them bookmarked for a while.

Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y-SK

If NewNugget buys that, he should know that it does not come with Mounting Plate.
NewNugget will need to use the Mounting Plate from his old JLF also.
And NewNugget should also remember the Nuts from old JLF.

How will NewNugget know that?
Who will tell NewNugget? :sad:

Sounds like the spring to me, personally. I’d say, unless you have the cash on hand and don’t want to troubleshoot, try buying a replacement spring.

I literally JUST took the spring out of an old SE I had after realizing how much more stiff it was than my year old TE’s spring…

Wasn’t too hard, only tools I had on hand were a steak knife, fence pliers, and a cheapo swiss army knife. (Not even joking…it’s late I didn’t want to go rummaging for my tools.)

I was having very similar problems, dashes wouldn’t come out like they used to, and after realizing I’m broke as shit, decided to take the plunge.

On a related note, the clip on the SE was a MOTHERFUCKER to get off, I ended up using the fence pliers to bend the bejeebus out of it to get it off. When it was time to put it back on I bent it as straight as I could and it still works like a champ…TE was easy as pie.

If you do decide to go for it, use proper tools, getting the screws back onto the mounting plate in the tight TE space was literally like brain surgery with my scrubby ass steak knife, I stopped counting how many times I had to pick the screws out of the case with my little swiss army scissors.

Best of luck!

go to the playdium store. located near 401 indy. they sell JLF’s. only open from mondays to fridays until 5:00PM. if u go to the playdium store just walk to the back theres an arcade parts section.

edit: if it is the spring then ur probably going to have to order off lizardlick. or u can be ghetto like me and make a custom spring out of a spring u can buy at canadian tire. my spring makes my bat top stiffer than stock TE springs it feels lik a real arcade spring