TE USB cable has a short/connection problem, need help!

I’ve searched the forum a bunch of times, but can’t find anything that talks about the problem I have come across with my PS3 TE.

The cable has some kind of a short in it, I’m not positive where it is exactly, but whenever it gives me issues (not responding at all usually) I open the little door for storing the cable, and move the cable around where it enters the stick case, until it starts working again, and that has solved my problem temporarily until today. All of a sudden certain directions aren’t being input, like down, and right, and moving the cable around only seemed to work for a second before it stopped registering them again.

I am kind of panicked about it because I don’t really have any money at the moment (in case it happens to be the actual stick), so can someone tell me how to go about completely replacing the USB cable? Or at least point me in the right direction if you know of a thread already in existence about this, as I was unable to find one. (I saw one about the end of the cable getting crushed, but that didn’t help much)

Thank you in advance.

Ninja edit: I also have a stripped bolt that holds the cover on, I have the tools to drill it out and remove it, but I was wondering if anyone knows where you can find that perfect size little allen screw, no big deal though, the real issue is the cable. Thanks again.

NEW DEVELOPMENTS:

So, upon further testing, it appears that it is my stick, and not the cable (i still have cable issues, but those are not a big deal). My stick is not registering down motions, and especially not down-left or down-right. Does anyone know anything that can be done about this? I am in desperate need of a fix, otherwise I’m basically left helpless until I can buy a new Sanwa stick. Please help if you guys know of a solution.

You can desolder the USB cable and replace it with another one. Just have to pay close attention to how it’s routed through the stick, and be careful when soldering. If you can’t do it yourself, you could just go to the “Need a Modder in Your Area?” thread.

The allen/hex wrench/key that you need is a metric size 3. You can probably get one at a local hardware store. If not, they are available on the cheap at eBay (here).

If you have the right key and still can’t get the stripped bolt out, you can carefully grip the sides of the bolt with pliers and turn it. No need to try and drill it out.

If you have a direction going out, you’ll need to replace the switch assembly. The part is Sanwa TP-MA, and you can usually get them from Lizard Lick Amusements (here). Right now they’re on pre-order. If you don’t want to wait (and/or are trying to save money), you could probably get one at the Trading Outlet. EmptyShiki has one for sale here (listed as “sanwa JLF PCB unit with microswitches”).

Thank you for the reply, I have fixed the bolt issue, and for the time being I replaced the switch assembly with the one from my xbox TE, until I can buy a new one. I have all the tools to desolder the USB cable, so I think I’ll be able to do it, if I have any trouble, I do know of a modder in my area that will at least be able to guide me through it. Thanks a lot for the info, it helps a lot. I pretty much know exactly what to do, and what I need, so if I could remove this thread I would, but in the mean time, unless someone wants to post really detailed info that could help me with the cable issue, then I think I have this all taken care of.

Cheers. If you are going to do it yourself, the best tip I can give you is to make sure that the cable is fastened on the inside of the stick in such a way that it won’t get in the way of the JLF when the top panel is replaced. Mad Catz does this with zip ties. It should make sense when you see it. Apart from that, it’s pretty straightforward. Good luck!