Teaching somebody how to play Street Fighter

Yeah, so I have a roomate now, and Asian. And one day, he came home from work and he saw me practicing CvS2, and he challenged me to some rounds. It ended at something like 27-0, and he was amazed by A-groove combos and such. He wants to learn how to play. Now I let him know that it’s not going to be an overnight thing, and that he has to consistently practice and play people superior to him in order for him to play better (also need to know where I can get a good controller converter for X-box, cause I suck on a stick:confused: so we can get on X-box live eventually). But he’s more than willing. Matter of fact, he’s addicted to most fighting game aspects except the games themselves. Street Fighter posters, GG wallpapers, you name it, he probably has.

So I already know to teach him to be able to do motions consistently, you know, beginners shit, but other than that, could sombody help me organize a teacher’s guide of sorts? We’re starting off with CvS2, but I dunno if that’s a good game to start off on, as he may become to reliant on certain aspects like rolling, and if that happens, he may not transition well onto other games, so that’s why I need SRK’s help to learn the best way to teach this kid.

-Fritz

after teaching him special moves teach him basics that do not involve combos, combos are one of the last things you should teach him

teach him the properties of each move and how it should be used. he needs to learn how actually accomplish hitting his opponent, combos are worthless without hitting them. not to mention he can practice combos by himself.

thats how im teaching my friend and its working ok but hes terrible at learning games.

I’d suggest going back to the basics: Street Fighter 2 (or any of it’s later iterations…ie. Super Turbo).

If you have SF Anniversary Edition, try to start off by teaching that.
Personally, i think CVS2 might seem a bit overwhelming to a newbie.
There’s just alot of characters and tactics to learn.
But hey, if that’s all you can work with…just go with it.

And oh yeah, you mentioned he’s asian. Not that it really matters, but I’m just surprised he got into fighting games now. Talk about a late bloomer. I’m asian and i’ve been liking fighting games since SF2. Hahaha. Anyways. Good to see that you’re willing to teach someone new how to play.:tup:

I was going to say exactly what Strider said… start with the basics, AE if you have it. CvS2 seems like quite the leap for someone who’s never touched SF.

But what do I know? I gave up on trying to get my friends into 2-D fighters a long time ago. They either don’t play video games at all or want to play something more visually impressive such as Tekken. In that aspect, I guess you should consider yourself lucky to find someone who’s willing to even bother learning SF these days. :slight_smile:

i agree on starting him off on street fighter 2. first he should learn the shotos as they have the easiest special move motions. teach him a charge character. i like guile, personally. next teach him zengief. after youre done with that he’ll know most of the basic motions for a ton of fighters.

thats really all i can think of

if hes asian you could start off with teaching him 3s… he should be fine

he should probably start out with c groove if he’s playing cvs2 since its easy to learn. then practice simple 2 in 1s, buffering, links etc. after that show him the top tiers, the level 2 super cancel stuff and high level match vids and he’ll be pwning pretty soon.

I tend to agree with SNkNuT, I don’t think you should throw him into street fighter 2. Just let him play an easy cvs2 grove. Like C groove. And when playing him
do the same. That’s all pretty basic. Once he’s got those basis down, you can introduce the more complex stuff of CvS2.

alright, but the way I see it, it’s more diffcult than I thought, as SF2 and CvS2 have completely different playstyles…

Like SF2 is heavily focused on zoning and Cvs2 IMO is alot more focused on footsies. I dunno what he’d be more interested in, as I know from experience how difficult it can be to make a transition from one game to another. I just found a copy of CvS2 after looking for a spare for like 4 months, but when I got back into it, I was so rusty, cause in that 4 month period, I’ve been playing SF2:HF. My game was SOOOOO messed up, cause I got used to the zoning aspects and I wasn’t able to go aggro right (cept for Sagat…you never forget Sagat). So I just wanna make him good enough to incorperate his skills to any fighting game. He also really wanted to learn GG, but I forbad it.

with this in mind, what’s more important to have? A good zoning game, or better footsies?

-Fritz

why did you forbid him from learning GG its a great game

obviously not beginners stuff but its still worth playing

SF2 is pretty outdated, and CvS is like…the fastest capcom game ever. We won’t even talk about Guilty Gear. I really agree with 3s as being the best introductory game. The moves are clean and you can see the breaks between moves, getting a feel for frames really easy, especially with Ken. I say use 3s, work the normals, teach him about priority and zoning, then just play.

Yeah, since exactly what we need right now is another Asian guy using Ken in 3S.

I found 3S to be easier play also. And I don’t mean that in a “3S is for n00bs” way.

Well i’d say just teach him wutever he want to learn so if he want to learn gg teach it. Its waaaay more forgiving for badly wifed moves compared to 3s.
I’d say once he’s got the concept of basic move’s, teach im like simple mind-gameing overhead vs trip and okizime. Then from there combos that work into mind games.

i think 3s is the best game to show him the basic fighter techniques…
like buffering, partitioning, canceling… and parrying for 3s… the moves are generally all done the same so you cant confuse him with all those tricky ones of snk characters. so try to teach him 3s instead. and then have him apply what he learned in 3s to whatever. and… mind games eventually

Teach him the basic movements and then teach him about priority. Nothing’s more important than understanding why each attack is the way it is. If he knows how, why and when to use each attack it’ll come off a lot better for him. You should also tell him about buffering and canceling, although I wouldn’t put them at the top of the list. I think mind games would be a little too much to start off with, sure they’re usefull but it’s a very hard concept to get around. Imo it would be better to just teach him the basics and let him develop mind games in his own way.

Well that was stupid, if anything gg makes the proccess of learning that much quicker.

Blah

In gulty gear it’s so easy to see stuff like space control and understand why its happening, in strretfighter the playing field is alot smaller and things like this are done to a lesser degree, thus making them hard to see to someone new to the fighting games.

Guilty gear kinda shows you these aspects to such a degrre that it’s impossible not to take note of them. Where as in streetfighter you may just overlook it.

Guilty gear will break him into the finer details of fighting games then streetfighter will, he takes what he’s learned in gg and applys it to a lesser degree in streetfighter, without gg these aspects take alot more time to come to terms with and a player will simply overlook them.

Overheard over the weekend.

Guy - " Do half circle forward and punch! "

Girl - " Half circle forward is doing jack shit for me!"

Seconded, except for one thing…CFE is the fastest capcom game ever.

let him play both ST and GG it’s a good combo :hp: :hs: