Terrible interface

My girlfriend is a…I’m not sure, she does graphic stuff. Basically she’s an expert on stuff like designing interfaces and what not. I was watching the new trailers and she leans over and looks and goes “Wow, what the hell are those?” and I’m like “Health bars” and she said “The screen feels really crowded.” And I said “Well these characters are just really tall.” Then I realized that even if they weren’t tall, the new interface is really horrible. Especially when compared to the last game.

Notice how the old interface is intuitive and easy gather information from? This new one just looks wonky and way too big. The fact tall charecters have their head hitting it while just standing is horrific.

Not to mention how THICK it is. There is no reason for it to be that wide, and how it obscures the other health bars. I don’t get why they had to change it at all.

Plus the X factor thing is incredibly obnoxious.

I assume that capcom has a lot bigger budget then most game companies. Why can’t they hire world class graphic designers or whatever to make it easy to look at AND enjoyable to look at? Seriously it looks like a third of the screen is covered by the health bars.

well they said its not staying dunno what else to tell yoy

I’m sure your girlfriend “leaned over” and said “what the hell are those.”

Because girls always notice the HUD in videogames.

Well a graphic designer type might.

Anyway, as I’ve said, I personally don’t mind that the main bar is larger and more in focus than the others.
It’s weird, I like the wide bar. It almost feels retro.

The X-es could be more subtle, though.

It’s not a trivial issue to design user interfaces, many of these interface designers are overworked and underpaid. Supposedly they have changed the interface into something that consumes less memory so that netplay will be better, but I find it hard to believe that a UI will consume that much memory.

It might be surprising to someone like you, but some of us live with a female in our house who we have sexual intercourse with along with sharing life burdens like finances, work, and things like that. It’s called a relationship. Try one.

I agree on both parts. I notice in the “art” industry so to speak, people seem to want artist to either work for free or get paid minimum wage. And this is just from watching a freelance graphic designer. I don’t even want to know what it’s like for someone who works at job.

I don’t get what the interface would have to do with the net code…but hey, maybe they designed it all wonky or someone in the code didn’t realize what everything would do (I work as a computational physicist and I’ve seen some odd things connected by code before. Just sloppy work I guess).

don’t need to be an expert to see it.

i have a graphic design background as well and yeah you definitely don’t need to know shit about graphic design, etc. to know that the current HUD in umvc3 is a pos. with that said, they did say that it’ll change.

and i don’t buy the consuming less memory thing for a sec.

The middle bar is too thick, but moreso there was nothing really wrong with the original bars, but a new interface …isnt the end of the world.

Oh look, the “i have an ugly girlfriend that i like to brag about” insult.

1. This thread will be locked because there is a UMvC3 thread and another topic specifically about the HUD already
  2. Seth himself said they already changed the HUD at EVO but couldn’t bring the new build demo.
  3. You don’t need to be an expert to see the HUD is poor

Oh look, the “I’m obviously trolling” insult.

Where exactly is the troll? Please if I was trolling you would know. I could give a shit less about you having a girlfriend, so I dont even see why he bothered to mention that to begin with.

This thread is stupid anyway.

that damn avatar!!! lol. goes with everything!!!

Your girlfriend has convinced me that the HUD is poorly designed.

My wife always asks about HUD/UI stuff, even if she doesn’t play the game.

Yes, the interface is terrible. MvC3 vanilla had the perfect interface; changing it is an abomination.

How graphic?