Terrorist Attacks: Target: Russia. Russia Prez says airport security responsible too

Russian authorities: Terrorist bombing at Moscow airport kills 35 - CNN.com

[Quote=]

MOSCOW ? President Dmitri A. Medvedev on Tuesday sharply questioned security precautions at the airport on Moscow that was hit by a suicide bomber on Monday, saying that officials must be held responsible for failing to prevent the devastating attack.

?What occurred shows that there were violations in providing security,? Mr. Medvedev said in comments released by the Kremlin. ?Such a quantity of explosive material that was carried in or brought in ? that?s not so easy to do. We must hold responsible those who have ties to the company that makes decisions, the management of the airport.?

The suicide bombing on Monday at Moscow?s busiest airport, Domodedovo, killed at least 35 people, injured scores of others and injected new pain into a country already split along ethnic lines.

Mr. Medvedev did not specify which security arrangements at the airport he believed were lacking. The bomb went off in the international arrivals area, where people wait to pick up passengers ? a location that is often unsecured in many major airports around the world.

Security experts consider arrivals areas to be so-called soft targets because they are less heavily policed.

In the past, people entering such zones in Russian airports have occasionally had to pass through metal detectors but such checks have generally been sporadic. After the attack on Monday, the authorities immediately set up new inspections.

There was no indication on Tuesday morning of who was behind the blast.

Past terrorist attacks have been traced to militants in the North Caucasus, a predominantly Muslim region in the south of Russia. And the city was on edge even before the attacks, after ethnic Russian nationalists lashed out violently at migrants from the troubled region in mid-December.

The attack inflicted a deep injury on Moscow?s image just as Mr. Medvedev prepared to woo foreign investors at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. The bomb ? set off in the international arrivals hall of Domodedovo, the city?s glittering showcase airport ? killed and wounded visitors from the West, something that has occurred very rarely in previous terrorist attacks.

But Russians were too shocked Monday night to focus on the implications.

The smoke was so thick after the blast that it was hard to count the dead. Hours later arriving passengers stepped into the hall to see the wounded still being loaded onto stretchers. Ambulances sped away crowded with three or four patients apiece, bleeding heavily from shrapnel wounds. By nightfall, officials reported that at least 35 people had been killed and 168 wounded.

?They pushed them away on baggage carts,? said Aleksei Spiridonov, who works at an auto rental booth a few yards from the site of the blast. ?They were wheeling them out on whatever they could find.?

Russia?s leaders have struggled, with a good measure of success, to keep militants from the North Caucasus from striking in the heartland. In March, two female suicide bombers detonated themselves on the city?s subway, killing more than 40 people ? an act that the Chechen militant leader Doku Umarov claimed to have ordered, promising Russians that ?the war will come to your streets.?

Mr. Umarov?s organization also took responsibility for the bombing of a luxury train, the Nevsky Express, which killed 28 in November 2009.

Monday?s attack could also have political implications, coming after a period of tentative liberalization. In the past, such attacks have strengthened the influence of Russian security forces and Prime Minister Vladimir V. Putin by firmly establishing security as the country?s top priority.

The bomber apparently entered the international arrivals terminal from outside, advancing to the cordon where taxi drivers and relatives wait to greet arriving passengers. The area is open to the general public, said Yelena Galanova, an airport spokeswoman, according to the Interfax news service.

Artyom Zhilenkov, a taxi driver who was in that crowd, said he was standing about 10 yards from a short, dark-complexioned man with a suitcase ? the bomber, he believes. Authorities said the blast occurred at 4:32 p.m. local time, as passengers from Italy, Tajikistan and Germany emerged from customs.

?How did I manage to save myself? I don?t know,? Mr. Zhilenkov said, his track suit dotted with blood and small ragged holes. ?The people behind me on my left and right were blown apart. Maybe because of that.?

Another witness, Yuri, who did not give his last name, told Russia?s state-run First Channel TV that the shock wave was strong enough to throw him to the floor and blow his hat away.

After that, the hall filled with thick smoke and part of the ceiling collapsed, said Mr. Spiridonov, the auto rental worker.

Thirty-one people died at the site of the explosion, one in an ambulance and three in hospitals, the Health Ministry said. Among the wounded were French and Italian citizens, according to the Health and Social Development Ministry. At least two Britons died, said a spokesman for the Investigative Committee.

Witnesses said many of the victims suffered terrible wounds to their faces, limbs and bodies.

?One person came out and fell,? Olga Yaholnikova told RenTV television. ?And there was a man with half of his body torn away.?

Mr. Medvedev, who was scheduled to give a keynote address in Davos on Wednesday, postponed his trip to manage the aftermath of the attack. He gave brief televised remarks almost immediately, telling Russians that he believed the blast was a terrorist act.

Mr. Putin also appeared on television on Monday night, gravely ordering the health minister to provide aid to all the bombing victims, visiting clinics one by one, if necessary, he said.

In Washington, President Obama condemned what he called an ?outrageous act of terrorism? and offered assistance.

The State Department said it had not received confirmation of any Americans who had been killed or wounded at the airport.

The airport, southeast of the capital, is Russia?s largest airline hub, with more than 20 million passengers passing through last year.

Domodedovo was the site of a previous terror attack, in August 2004, when two Chechen suicide bombers boarded separate planes there, killing themselves and 88 others in midair. The attack exposed holes in security, since the two bombers, both women, had been detained shortly before boarding, but were released by a police supervisor. The authorities have since worked to tighten security.

The airport remained open on Monday evening, and passengers continued to flow through the hall where the bomb had exploded. Gerald Zapf, who landed shortly after the blast, said his airplane circled the airport several times before landing, and passengers were forced to wait for some time before they could debark.

When they finally made it into the airport, he said, he and the other passengers were led past sheets of blue plastic, which hid signs of the carnage. Meanwhile, transportation officials had ordered ?100 percent control of passengers and visitors and their baggage, including their hand baggage,? resulting in long, snaking lines and shoving matches at the airport?s entrances.

Monday?s explosion pointed to the continuing fascination with air travel for militants and the difficulty of carrying out an attack aboard a jet, said Stephen A. Baker, a former official with the Department of Homeland Security. ?They?d like to be bombing planes and they can?t, so they?re bombing airports,? he said.
[/Quote]

I know Terrorism happens everyday but these guys could have stolen my luggage at the arrival terminal and put a bomb in it.

Some Call of Duty type shit.

It kinda makes sense… You gotta go through so much security to get into an airport nowadays the best place to set off a bomb would be right OUTSIDE security checkpoints, where all the people are grouped up.

If they find whoever was responsible for plotting this, assuming it wasn’t a random act from a single nutjob, those people are probably going to “go missing”, Russians don’t fuck around.

^_-;

Seems unlikely, I get the impression this wasn’t the anti-US terrorists. Russia has it’s own terrorists, like those Chechen rebels mentioned at the end. Why would they hijack a plane and fly to Las Vegas? :looney:

:u: yep it’s not the muslims! BBC is reporting that it could be Militant groups from the Caucasus region BBC News - Moscow bombing: Carnage at Russia’s Domodedovo airport

What really irritates/upsets me…I ‘understand’ the process and concept of revolution, but attacking INNOCENT PEOPLE does NOT paint you the martyr. Its one thing to attack a symbol or an official to get a point across (not saying I condone don’t twist my point) - but what the FUCK is the purpose of blowing yourself up in an air terminal? It’s like these people are so ready to give their life away without stopping to think about WHY they are doing it. It ISN’T for the greater good of your cause if all the grief you cause only alienates it MORE.

• :bluu:

The vid shows smoke in the air, bodies and luggage on the ground. I’m not sure any flights are leaving/arriving out there.

Great. More people are adopting suicide bombing. Where’s Fox Die when you need it?

Isnt it obvious the bomber was a sleeper agent trying to infiltrate that terror network

so chechen rebels are presumed to be behind this? i wonder what the retribution will be like? russians dont fuck around when it comes to laying down the hammer.

Seriously, this is like shit out of Modern Warfare 2.

It’s a shame that people resort to terrorism like this.

it does have that video game flavor.

Actually it may be militant Muslims looking to advance their cause to create an independent Muslim state. From this Newsweek article and Washtington Times article :

But, since no one’s claimed responsibility yet and details are still new, these seem to be educated guesses.

Damn chechens… Russia better rtsd.

Pretty sad, and stupid, how is this act of violence going to get them what they want?? Russia will wipe them off the face of the earth

How about focusing on the terrorist? But the arrival section or luggage section of almost all airlines is the most relaxed on security.

What terrorist? He/she dead!

Oh great now TSA is going to get even more retarded.

When will people learn that all this extra security will never stop anyone that wants to bomb something bad enough ?

And all the idiots of the world will just sit there and nod their heads while their basic freedoms are stripped away in favor of a false sense of security.

There’s always a “sleeper”. -Executive Decision

facepalm Ok so… Russian TV Links Modern Warfare 2 To Russian Massacre

I don’t recall a suicide bomber in MW2

Where’s that wtf Gary Coleman gif??

They’re saying they can use that level as a “terrorist training” simulation

Which is kind of silly, because using an xbox controller to gun down civilians is pretty different from firing an actual weapon in real life

Either way, I did not like that level in modern warfare and was pretty disturbed by it