That's it, I'm f***in' moving!

Gentlemen, I just discovered why it’s always felt so impossible to assemble a fighting game community in my area. One of my old buddies from high school now manages the local EB; I was chatting with him yesterday, and he told me something interesting:

Our region has the lowest number of preorders for SF4 in the entire country. :rofl:

Apparently by a large margin too. Preorder numbers were so low, their head office apparently double-checked that the stores had remembered to set up their promotional displays, and when the answer came back the obvious yes, they told the stores to just take that stuff down. All of the store’s current decor is for other games. Right now the plan is that they’re only going to bother bringing in a couple of extra copies for the game… one or two for each system total. (Other recent fun facts about our local store in specific include how they’ve had more copies of Soul Calibur IV traded back to them than they even sold, and how they sold almost no copies of MK vs. DC.)

I generally keep a pretty good sense of humour about me, so I feel less crushed and more like the biggest joke in the world was played on me and I’ve just been let in on it. Why don’t I live somewhere else? Why don’t I like something else? The odds are mindbogglingly hilarious that I would love fighting games and be here of all places in the wealthy, peaceful world. I couldn’t seriously complain about this–if your country is impoverished or at war, you are worse off than I could ever be–but it is definitely something worth laughing at yourself about.

----------<This is where you should stop if you’re feeling a little tl;dr. Thanks for stopping by!>----------

A few extrapolative thoughts on the matter, reached through deductive logic based on a series of reasonable, educated assumptions:
(Those points may not be completely accurate but I’m pretty sure they tend to be vaguely correct, or close-to at the very least, so they remain as a good basis for discussion. Pretty smartypants, yes?)

• Not everyone who buys a game will preorder it, but a lot of the hardcores will. I would imagine that preorders for each game in an area probably represent a fairly consistent fraction of how many people in the area really like that particular game.

• As far as I know, EB usually gets more preorders for video games than any other physical establishments. As such, comparing their numbers from region to region is likely a good relative gauge of the popularity of something.

• Even though Smash and Tekken have been the big sellers for the past number of years, SF4 is probably the most anticipated fighting game in a very long time. I would venture to guess that its success (or lack thereof) in a given area makes a reasonable approximate indicator of how popular fighting games are in general for that area.

• EB Games Canada is run more or less as a separate company from the States’ EB/Gamestops so I don’t know if we still hold this unfortunate record when you include the US in this as well, but I’m preeeetty sure we’re somewhere near the bottom anyway.

In summary, I’m fairly certain that my area is one of the spots where fighting games are the least popular in all of upper North America. Too cruel, hahah.

As soon as this school term is over, I’m packing my bags and leaving. Goodbye Nowheretown Nothingsville, you will not be missed!! :lol:

The nearest, decent competition I’ve managed to find is a six hour drive away from here, which is pretty tough to fit into a life schedule with any regularity; I make it down once or twice a year, tops. I play online like it’s a drug just to preserve my sanity, but of course I’m aaaalways fiending for a better fix. I miss arcades and I absolutely crave the purity of real-life, in-person, face-to-face competition. Unless you’re a sponsored professional, you really can’t go basing your life decisions around some video game just because you like it a lot, but maaaan this is definitely enough to affect where I want to be!

This thread is for everyone else who deals with the problem that “big city” players could never understand: isolation. I know there are a ton of you out there just like me. Please, tell us your story. Tell us how you’re plotting your escape. :smile:

It’s tough. However, you do have netplay- that’s your saving grace.

Most of my time in the military was spent in the crappy part of SC, so there was nothing there, and no one in my unit played either- so I had to go on Kaillera to get games. It’s why I learned SNK stuff.

By region, do you mean where in BC you live?

I know exactly what you mean. I’m completely Street Fighter isolated, and it sucks. The only arcade in town has one game that’s not a ticket game, and it’s DDR. I doubt people even know what Street Fighter is where I live.

I know what you mean. I hate it.

As for plotting my escape, I plan on going to Portland State University, where there is a small arcade scene, and I can still snowboard at Hood. Win win.

^ That’s cool, man. Riding is toooo dope. :smile:

I actually mean it on two levels: my friend was almost completely certain that our town’s store has the lowest numbers of any other store in Canada, but he said he was also fairly sure that our district has the lowest numbers of all the districts. (Locations for chain businesses are upper-managed in small clusters of stores, juuust in case you didn’t already know.) Basically I’m in the worst part of the worst place, hahah.

I don’t know anything about BC as a whole, but I guarantee those numbers are high based on metropolitan Vancouver alone. The prairie provinces definitely have scenes in their larger cities, but overall I’ll bet they’re tipping towards the lower end of the scale. Of course Ontario and Quebec have tons of players. I’ve talked to a Calgary player who grew up in the Maritimes about the islands, and he said he didn’t think there was anything there. That would’ve been years ago though, so who knows about today. At any rate, their districts are supposedly doing better than mine!

After a few years of on and off campaigning to try and build a scene here, all I have to show for it are: a couple of old-ass TV’s, a few more sticks than I’d ever use, some useless made-at-home flyers, and a short list of phone numbers for people, most of who either never make it out or have now moved away. :rofl:

move to a country where people live closer than a light year apart

deadfrog i know exactly what you mean i live in the middle of nowhere and am absolutely moving as soon as i am done with school

Haha you can tell Im kinda isolated as well, because there arent much Samurai Shodown players in my country; although I live in capital city, most people here play Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, Tekken, sometimes Soul Calibur. Plus community which provides live tourneys kinda suffers from f@g syndrome, lol. Its always easier for me to select netplay.

I’m Arcana Heart isolated :sad:
Practicing all the combos I want in training mode doesn’t make up for the lack of human vs human experience.

Oh well, there’s always GG/SFIV/3S/CvS2/MvC2/SF2HD/TvC

Mmm, the last two posts make a good mention. People who favour a particular fighting game that nobody else will play are in a similar situation. That’s probably the closest possible thing you could experience if you’re in a place where lots of people do play fighting games.

We do actually have a very tiny handful of very casual Smash players here where I am and I definitely play with them whenever they do get together, and it is a lot of fun, but it happens very rarely and it’s still not Street Fighter. The surrounding towns also have Smash players but most people who call themselves Smash players around here don’t ever want to travel more than thirty minutes from their house to play. In all honesty, if I had to pick, I’d say out of everyone I’ve tried to introduce to other fighting games, the Smash players have been the most interested. That’s sort of a misleading statement though, because nobody has really been that interested. I always told myself that there had to be other guys around here who grew up playing fighting games too, but I’m not so sure that’s true anymore.

I’ve been casually looking out for other players for yeeears, though I didn’t really start searching hard and trying to nurture this shit until a few years back. I’ve let it rest for stretches of time, but I’ve never completely given up on it because I know fighting games hold a universal appeal. Pretty well any random dudes will always be excited about mashing it out if you trap them in a living room and put controllers in their hands while there are two life bars on a screen in front of them. I know a few people who ask about playing every now and then, and they’re all great guys, but there’s nobody around here who would ever want to practice anything or actually try and learn a game.

It’s interesting hearing about all of you. :smile:

people who play a game nobody plays in the midst of an active scene are faggots and should shut up whining tho

Have you ever seen the Ogopogo?

Yes, but he’s banned in all tournaments around here.

Man, this thread really hits home with me.

Just a few weeks ago I came to this forum with a plea for help in my fighting game skills. All stemming from the realization that for years and years my skills have been stagnating in a world of isolationism. I fought players of such low skill level for so long in my local arcades, my unit (I was in the Army for six years) and abroad in Europe that I honestly felt that I had a competative level of skill. I knew I wasn’t at the level of the pro’s and I knew I could always be beat… but not like I learned when I got out of the Army and came back home to the USA.

For years I played so hard against people in my unit, people wouldn’t even play fighters with me anymore. I would go to the rec center and play some Xmen vs Street Fighter and not one challenge. I leave to take a piss and there’s 4 players on. I manage to get back to the machine, and sometimes they literally would just clear out. Sometimes they would ask if they could get a few rounds in with each other first then they’de give me the machine back.

Not even joking. It actually made me pretty sad.

Nothing more annoying than sitting in your barracks playing GGXX by yourself.

Buying Virtua Fighter 4 back in 2003 and telling everyone about it then unwrapping it, having a few go’s against the computer and realizing… you’re never going to play this with anyone, ever.

When I grew up, I was surrounded by players of amazing skill. Some of the coolest arcades in Puerto Rico were my home, but I was gone now. All that was behind me. Nothing but fighter isolation as years go by and you come home to a country where Smash Bros is the #1 played fighter in America. It depressed me to no end.

You’re not alone man. Even now in Utah, we’re pretty arcade starved. I go home to Puerto Rico and find some of the old dingy arcades where KOF 94 would be lined up all the way to 2003 are closing down. Where people put down the arcade pads and picked up Halo to get their competitive fix.

I think that’s why when I saw the banner to Street Fighter IV, it really struck me.

A new beginning it said.

Sure hope so.

From my personal experience (of living in a country with no arcades, no mainstream gaming culture, fighting games are not popular, where people grew up on that “dangerous dave” dos game rather on street fighter, no public transportation on weekends, and many more local problems), since me and my friends started the local scene with 2-3 players and now we got 15± (and hopefully more when SF4 comes around):

1.Get at least one more hardcore player to help you start a scene, It’s impossible to do it all alone w/o any help, not to mention the moral support.

2.If you find someone hardcore (=which knows he needs good competition) in another fighting game, make a deal with him:
I’ll play your game too, and you’ll play my game too= everyone is happy and improving.
If you are a good player you can kick his ass in his own game, and it helps to convince him?

3.Advertise Advertise Advertise!
Somewhere out there exists a guy who thinks “Damn, I’m the only one here who loves street fighter/guilty gear/king of fighters and I got no one to play with”. 2 Blocks away there’s another guy who is thinking the exact same thing? They just don?t know of anyone but themselves. I’ve seen it happen way too many times!

Find where to advertise so that the information will get to the local gamers. Like a local successful gaming site or posters on game stores I don’t know?

4.Organize events, meetings and tournaments. Yeah you need to find a place to do it, and equipment to pull it off. Also the tournaments should have nice prizes to make them more appealing.

5.Mashers and scrubs are fodders for tournaments= You need them.

6.When you are a part of the crowd you (and your hardcore buddies) should cheer and be full of hype so other people will get the idea “hey this tournament exciting and fun”

7.You should be super nice and super noob friendly (unlike many people in this site). Sometimes it’s really hard but remember that other people are always watching how you treat people who ask (sometimes dumb) questions. If you don’t treat everyone with respect, people won’t be so eager to meet and play with you.

Remember that video games are supposed to be fun (“competitive fun” for us) and not “survival of the fittest”/“you need to be good enough to hang around with us”.

8.If there’s some other event going on (for example, a big lan party/anime convention etc.), talk to the organizers to let you run an area with a few TV’s+consoles+fighting games. That way, more entertainment for them to offer to the crowd, and more exposure for you.

9.Be a versatile player. Someone out there only likes tekken, and someone else only likes soul calibur. You should be able to offer them what they like, and maybe after they know all the people around and became friends with them they will also move on to other games as well.

10.Just remember that many hardcore players who quit for lack of time/different priorities, will come back years later for the hyped sequal, so don’t let them get you down.

11.What is written in the thread about starting a scene that the smash player wrote (sorry I forgot the name)

I really hope some of this info helps you, if not for your current location then for the next one. Good luck!

No comp in you area? Tell me about it.

I’ve always been a super competitive guy, so any game that people play, I’d play just so I can try and be the best. Unfortunately in my area, NO ONE plays 2D fighters competitively (Except smash). So I’ve played and been at the top of every scene in my area, whether it be Smash, Tekken, Halo, or Gears of War, but I’ve always wanted competition in games like ST and 3rd Strike.

Hwoever, with SF4 coming out, I think there’s a good chance of people in my area picking it up. I mean, EVERYBODY, whether it be from your parents to your non-gamer friends has heard of Street Fighter, so there’s a lot of recognition and respect in that name. When word got out that a new one was coming out, I heard a lot of my non-SF friends talking about it. Plus, being at the top of most of the scenes here gets me some pull, so a lot of them will move to SF4 just because I’ve been hyping it up for weeks now. Mass messages, never shutting up about, always seeing me play HD Remix.

I think a good way to build up the scene is to have a tournament with a low entry fee. Everyone’ll have SF4 and if they’re only risking say $5 in an entrance fee to test their skills, I’m sure tons of casual players will join. Hopefully, a goon number of those casuals will want to become hardcore once you serve their face and offer to help them out with their game.

Come take a trip here and stay with me for a few weeks. You’ll have so much arcana, your head will asplode. :lovin:

We’ll hit up all the good arcades and stuff, it’ll be great.

Inverse - That was a good post. Not even being slighty sarcastic.

I’m in Quebec city. There’s 3 people other than myself that play fighting games. That’s it.

well I’ve been “normal” kof isolated for quite a few years now. I hate those bootlegs machines.

anyway I’m moving away from here for other reasons

can somebody tell me the good arcades in chicago.

Nickel City is one of your best best. On Milwaukee.